Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DD Coils which is best

5 posters

Go down

DD Coils which is best Empty DD Coils which is best

Post  Camohunter Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 pm

What is the best DD coil for real small gold.As l have been told by the shop l brought my GPX4500 from that l should be using a DD coil at Rushworth/Whroo because there is to much ground noise for a Mono coil. l will try the DD coil 11" that came with it next time.Open for any advice thanks Question

Camohunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2018-09-26

Back to top Go down

DD Coils which is best Empty Re: DD Coils which is best

Post  adrian ss Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:58 am

6 inch Detech mono will find small stuff really well. Might be a bit noisy in tough ground but you should still hear some small gold.
A DD may be quieter. The 4500 has enough adjustments to settle most ground noise.

Some coil opinions here.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13490
http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au/detech-monoloop-round-coils
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Camohunter Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks l tried the DD last weekend and it was no good with the hot rocks so l put on my mono 11" and it run pretty well.It might have been my settings maybe rx 8 stab 6
will try it when l have more time.

Camohunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 am

Camo, The best DD coil is the one you pin to your souvenir wall and let the climbing rose grow over it.

There is a lot more to the 4500 than RX & Gain. If you don't have a manual you can down load one here for free. Read it, read it & read it again and you'll never need a DD coil again.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/3965/4 ... screen.pdf

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:37 pm

T04

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm

T04 x2
I cannot work out why the supplied the 4500's with a DD coil? Most people want the machine for gold and our experience with DD was not good. Mono picked up gold much better at depth and on surface. Only reason is discrimination and even then they are very questionable.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Camohunter Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks l will stick with a mono coil ,Not sure to go 9"elite or 8x!2 evo or sadie 8x6 for small gold as my 11' commander coil will only pick up 22 slugs and air pellets not shotty pellets.All l can find is coins got a 1874 penny last night.

Camohunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Camohunter wrote:Thanks l will stick with a mono coil ,Not sure to go 9"elite or 8x!2 evo or sadie 8x6 for small gold as my 11' commander coil will only pick up 22 slugs and air pellets not shotty pellets.All l can find is coins got a 1874 penny last night.

Then your doing something wrong, I can assure you the 11" commander mono coil will pick up BB shotty pellets.

Take a shotty pellet and keep changing the settings until you can hear it, then keep burying it a bit deeper until you cant hear it, you should get it buried down 3 or 4 inches and a 22 slug at least 12 to 14 " deep, then you know your got you settings about right and if there is gold about and you happen to get your coil over it then you will hear it.

Dont be afraid to use the BOOST setting in the audio settings either, general and enhance with the RX about 10 or more (with experience 12 to 14) and the stabalizer about 6, target volume about 12 or so and the volume limit about 10, threshold stable/audible, and I use pitch 38 but whatever suits you and 19 on the other tone setting.

Run the machine in fixed tracking and learn how to ground balance properly, this is critical.

That's about all I can think of for now.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Camohunter Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks Dave will give it a go.

Camohunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:52 pm

this is a video Jonathan Porter done sometime ago, and it shows very well the correct way to ground balance the GPX 4500 or 5000 detectors

Thanks to JP

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Camohunter, dave has given some good info, for every body out there. There is many coils for the gpx's but I still like the commander 11" for a good all rounder. Unless you have a dud coil, not likely, the coil/machine should be very capably of picking up .1 gram bits.
Dont be frightened to lose some detecting time in the field to learn your machine. On targets not dug experimenting with different settings will put you in a better position as you will learn how to adjust for different ground types. And do not be frightened to keep ground balacing. No matter how well you think you know your machine there is always room to improve. Good luck and we hope you find some good yellow.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 am

about the only time I would run a DD coil is when I have a patch near powerlines flick into cancel and crank the RX right up to compensate for loss of depth you will be surprised in the depth of targets in ground undetectable for monos

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:49 am

Camohunter wrote: small gold as my 11' commander coil will only pick up 22 slugs and air pellets not shotty pellets.All l can find is coins got a 1874 penny last night.

As others have already mentioned the 11" Commander coil is a perfect match for the 4500.
Take Daves advice and get to know your machine.
Below is the gold myself & two mates found using this coil in two days.
****BTW: Not shown in the photo, we also found 150+ shotgun pellets. We feel sure the previous owner of this lease used to walk around with his shotgun firing randomly? ****

DD Coils which is best Pipeline-Tavern-Reunion2015-018

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:06 am

nice gold there mate good run for sure Very Happy I use the 12' evo on my 5000 and am impressed with small targets a depth as dave said nothing to get shot at 4ish inches

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down