Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000???

+3
Jonathan Porter
evan2010
nubian goldseeker
7 posters

Go down

Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000??? Empty Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000???

Post  nubian goldseeker Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello to all gold hunters.

I´m newbie in gold detecting with no experience on detectors, we talked yesterday to a ML dealer about ML gpx4500 and gpx50000, and i dont really know wish one i will take. Will i gain more with a gpx5000?

the area i will detect on is free from trash and iron stuff, and i think its a very virgin land with bigger nuggets( Sudanese northern desert), maybe its better for me to invest this 2500USD on coils and other equipment???

Please advice me, have to decide to next week tongue .

Thanks a lot.

Nubian.

nubian goldseeker
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000??? Empty Re: Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000???

Post  Guest Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:50 pm

I think the jury is still out on that question Nubian.

The professional prospectors (those that do it for a living) are hinting yes you will find more with a 5000 but that is on old patches that are being reworked, and generally they are finding smaller pieces deeper.

I don't think the sudanese desert is too noisy? as far as mineralisation goes, the 5000 is better on the noisy ground.

For virgin style ground the 4500 would be great. You might get 10% more gold with a 5000 than with a 4500, so it depends on how lucky you are when you are on the ground!! For example, you might find 10 ozs with a 4500, but you might find 11 ozs with a 5000. The extra gold would be in small pieces- will you have the time to be digging up smaller pieces from deeper?

The 4500 will find the larger payable gold just as well as the 5000.
Your coil selection is probably more important than your decision of which of the 2 detectors to use- both detectors are quality units to find gold.

I recommend a large mono nugget finder advantage coil say 24x12 and a smaller 18" round as well. Who really wants a small coil in the desert.... but if your going to be there for a while, take an 12" round mono also or the 14x9 to throughly clean up patches.

Good luck, and another thing, you might need some spare cash to pay off police etc if they decide you shouldn't be there etc. Let us know how you go please? We don't hear much news direct from Sudan!! its usually 3rd hand news.... with questionable accuracy.

Cheers.

PS; while your in sudan, send over Inga from Sweden to whip me with pine branches in the sauna....yah?!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000??? Empty what should I choose!!

Post  evan2010 Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:30 am

Well mate In my opinion, If you are truly in virgin ground and there could be Gold thereabouts then either machine would literally KICK ASS!! If you know how to use it that is. Laughing
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000??? Empty Re: Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000???

Post  Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:42 am

Take the 4500 and big coils like the 18" Nugget Finder mono or bigger, if it is as you say virgin ground in the desert then you won't be to worried about the real small stuff. Laughing When (if) you get back to Australia then you should have enough to buy as many 5000's as you want.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:28 pm

davsgold wrote:........ then you won't be to worried about the real small stuff. Laughing

The GPX 5000 is not just for small gold, it has an advantage on large gold too. If the detector is running quieter than the previous model with equivalent depth, then nuggets will stand out more from background noise, this is something the 5000 is very good at. The reason it's quiet is due to a number of factors, one is better ground balance resolution (read HERE for more info) and the other is improved circuit design/layout which has a flow on effect with the overall quietness and smoothness of the detector as well as the refinement of Enhance and the inclusion of Fine Gold.

Just for everyones info, Fine Gold in the right conditions (even with a large coil) will provide slightly better depth than Enhance on large targets. Typical areas where they will be advantageous will be in areas where the surface minerals are not concentrated but where ground noise is problematic using conventional timings such as Normal and Sens Xtra, the added benefit is they are much more sensitive on fast time constant targets over other timings, so in some cases will herald a response where other timings will not either through masking of the response due to ground noise (ground response is equal to or greater than the response generated by a target) or not seeing the target at all due to the eddie current dissipating away far too early for the other timings to react.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:49 pm

Yes Jp but the bloke is talking about the Sudan desert which may or may not be mineralized noisy ground. All he did say was that it is virgin ground where he is going, so an SD 2000 should do the trick same as here in Aus in the early days. So in ground like that 4500 or 5000 not much different, for at least awhile anyway.

But hey go with the GPX5000 and get the lot is the best bet.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:59 pm

davsgold wrote:Yes Jp but the bloke is talking about the Sudan desert which may or may not be mineralized noisy ground. All he did say was that it is virgin ground where he is going, so an SD 2000 should do the trick same as here in Aus in the early days. So in ground like that 4500 or 5000 not much different, for at least awhile anyway.
cheers dave
The Sudan is mineralised which is why the GPX 4500 sold so well there. It seemed to me the OP was asking
....... Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000???
it seemed by your post you were suggesting the advantages of the 5000 is only on small gold, which is not the case. One would assume due to the amount of GPX 4500's sold into the Sudan that a lot of ground has already been gone over with them, so for the price difference between the two I would recommend the GPX 5000 over the 4500 to give the OP the best chance of success.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nubian goldseeker Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks all for your advices.

JP, i hope that you will help me with the best settings for that ground, cause i want to kick some Twisted Evil Very Happy .

i will demand a 20x40", and a 18" mono coil, something else that i will need?

Should i buy same coils above but dd?

Nubian.

nubian goldseeker
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:05 pm

nubian goldseeker wrote:Thanks all for your advices.

JP, i hope that you will help me with the best settings for that ground, cause i want to kick some Twisted Evil Very Happy .

i will demand a 20x40", and a 18" mono coil, something else that i will need?

Should i buy same coils above but dd?

Nubian.

Stick to Monoloop coils, they go deeper than DD's. The GPX 5000 has two specific timings that are of use to you, one is Enhance and the other Fine Gold. Both these timings are in what is termed as the "Smooth Class of timings" and pretty much ignore the majority of ground noise and hot rocks when using a Monoloop coil.

Bigger Mono coils have two benefits, 1: Greater depth and 2: Greater ground coverage. If the ground is no more than 18" deep then an elliptical coil is better for outright coverage especially when searching for new patches (two good examples of Elliptical Mono coils sizes are the 17 x 9" and 24 x 12"), if the ground is deeper or you start to find gold at depth with the elliptical designs then I recommend you go back over or revert to an 18" round monoloop. Once you go bigger than 18" you start to loose a lot of sensitivity to the smaller nuggets plus they are harder to manage, but a 25" mono does have merit on larger pieces at depth.

Hope this helps,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:57 am

Hold it there gents. Wasn't there also a write up a while back on this forum,that the GPXs were having problems functioning properly,under the high temperatures there in Sudan?.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  nubian goldseeker Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:23 pm

kon61 wrote:
Hold it there gents. Wasn't there also a write up a while back on this forum,that the GPXs were having problems functioning properly,under the high temperatures there in Sudan?.

Cheers kon61.

Shocked Shocked Shocked , what kind of temperature do you have i Australia, i think it´s almost the same?

nubian goldseeker
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nubian goldseeker Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I have a question, does anyone have any idea on how to drive this unit on a 12volt big car battery, i would like to put the battery on the cart between the box and coil, and have some electronic unit delivering right voltage to the detector, what do think?

if the charger is connected all the time to the battery, will it destroy the lithium battery of the box???

Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000??? 3b4201062601A51ca

nubian goldseeker
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:40 pm

nubian goldseeker wrote:
kon61 wrote:

Cheers kon61.

Shocked Shocked Shocked , what kind of temperature do you have i Australia, i think it´s almost the same?

It is, I have worked in 55 deg heat in the Pilbara in October where the coolest it got over night was 33 deg C and our units were working perfectly. With the GPX detectors I have worked in 40 plus deg heat with no problems, obviously keep the LCD away from direct sunlight but the same goes for GPS screens etc.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:41 pm

nubian goldseeker wrote:
I have a question, does anyone have any idea on how to drive this unit on a 12volt big car battery, i would like to put the battery on the cart between the box and coil, and have some electronic unit delivering right voltage to the detector, what do think?

if the charger is connected all the time to the battery, will it destroy the lithium battery of the box???

The Minelab supplied Lithium battery should provide 10+ hours of use with such a unit, I would not recommend putting a battery in the place you have described as it will show up to the coil as a massive target.

Hope this help's

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm

G'day Nubian.

I cant complain here in Victoria.You'll get the rare 40deg days during summer,but in general temperatures stay bellow 40deg.Hardly ever a problem of the GPXs playing up due to overheating.High up the northern part of Aus could be a different ball game though.Temperatures can and do reach close to the 50deg mark.I to would like to hear any complaints from people using their machines under such conditions and what possible problems they might be encountering.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks for that info Jonathan.Disregard my last post.I only mentioned it because I'm sure that someone from Sudan mentioned it on this Forum. Its good info to know that the machines can handle the extreme temperatures,for i myself have never swung one all day at over 40deg.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm

With the amount of amps that a large car battery has,i cant imagine the size of voltage regulator required to regulate a constant 8.5volts.But even if it can be done there's certainly no room for error.It will not only damage the battery & detector electronics,but should also blow the wheels clean off that trolley.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Hello Nubian,

Where did you get your 20x40 drag coil from, I had one on order from Coiltek for three months but they were too busy to make me one. You can get them from China but I don't think they'd work as good.

Regards
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:03 pm

what sort of depth would one of those large drag coils go down to, and do they have a big effect on how long a standard battery would last?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Will i gain more if i purchase gpx5000??? Empty 4500

Post  dave1963 Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:54 pm

jp, did you ditch your 45s and only use 5000s now,from what people i have talked to with 5000s they are saying they are no better off,but I have an open mind and when I get a chance to try one myself ,if it can find gold in spots I have flogged with the 45 I would not hesitate to buy one,I have found gold in spots with the 45 that I have totaly flogged out with a 45,different day different weather conditions
cheers dave
dave1963
dave1963
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:01 am

Gday

I have also worked in conditions of 50+ with the 4500 and have found that emi will become more of an issue as it gets hotter particularly if its windy, also I believe that target response is also effected and there is a loss in sensitivity, not only with the 4500 but all detectors, the hotter the gound gets the more active it becomes and the harder the electronics have to work to keep up with it changing.

There is some effect with heat, if you can imagine what the core temperature would be of the coil as well, it is copping radiating heat from the ground plus heat from the sun above, it may not be that the heat is effecting the detectors electronics but it could be that its effecting the coils operation.

At those temperatures I wasnt able to pick my detector up by holding the shaft it was far too hot, the cover on the control box kept the direct sunlight off that but it was also very very hot to the touch as was the battery.

As we all know these machines run better at night and in the cool of the morning and that is when our finds are usually the greatest so it stands to reason that heat is an issue, exactly what components are being effected I cant say for sure, but I do know that heat is not a friend to either electronics or metal and that the hotter it gets the more these things are effected.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  nubian goldseeker Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 am

stayyerAU wrote:

As we all know these machines run better at night and in the cool of the morning

cheers

stayyerAU

Good point here. Last time i was in khartoum, it was 50c, so i will see if it possible to work by night and morning. I´m afraid of scorpions and snakes, hope that i will not see them.

nubian goldseeker
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down