Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN?

5 posters

Go down

What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN? Empty What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN?

Post  nam Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi everyone, On my last trip i had a hard time getting my GPX 4500, with a 14 9 gs to run quit. The only way was to lower the Gain.How low would you go? I'm concerned i wasn't getting max depth.As the holes were not deep.
Setting on the front end cap were. G ENHANCE FIXED MONO.

nam
nam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-06

Back to top Go down

What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN? Empty Re: What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN?

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:52 pm

i wouldn't go any lower than the factory setting on the gpx detectors. you should be able to get the detector to run smooth with a good gain setting. there is sometimes i can get the 4000 on full gain running smooth.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN? Empty Re: What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN?

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Corrected lower down

Pete in WA Cool

Last edited by beepinpete on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm

hi nam

8 is the lowest for me....i would change other things first like ,lower signal level.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi nam , In Bendigo where the ground is very mineralised in areas i run my gain on the 4500 no lower than 10 but i do drop the stabiliser as low as 5.
F / E CAP settings same as yours .
DIGITAL SETTINGS under GENERAL - Motion = slow , RX Gain = 12 , Audio = quiet , Stabiliser = 8 ( but i do go as low as 5 to smooth it out if need be ) Signal = 19 , Target volume = 10
These are the main ones.
I sometimes run my gain as high as 14 with the the stabiliser around 5 or 6 depending on the day.
Dont forget - agood ground balance is crucial.
Hope this helps
cheers gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

G'day nam, The next time you find a faint target, before digging it, knock your gain back and check the target again + repeat.....you will be very surprised and what you find.
I'm surprised Narrawa has not commented on this.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:
I'm surprised Narrawa has not commented on this.
I didn't see it till now. Laughing

Not a great deal of information to go on really. There could be many reasons for Nams problem, ground, coil, detector, EMI, settings or combo's of all.????
Yet return the very next day noise free...no real problem???

What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN? If the gold was sitting very close to the surface id have little problem working the detector below FP, because what GoldstalkerGPX said is right, you'd be surprised at how well it can still pick up. But so will an old 70s model detector, and you didn't want to hear that did you?. Laughing However im a little distressed if i ever had to use such low gain figures.

I asked the question once about the gain, and its relation to the output power of the detector,, basically, you cant alter output unless changing the timings. But you can certainly alter the receive power. (Rx Gain)

How doe's this help Nam? it doesn't really, he could have a faulty coil which would make all setting he tries useless.

Realistically we need a bit more information because as it stands, there is nothing really out of the ordinary.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  nam Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm lost.

I have had this problem more than once,What i would normaly do is swap back to standard Double D and everything is sweet.But this time i thought ,Everyone says if your not using a mono your missing gold.But found i had to lower the gain to 3,4,5 to get it to run smooth.
The machine is set up to the SETA PROJECT right down to the coil that JP used in the dvd.
Narrawa, like the vid & pictures keep them coming.

Nick.
nam
nam
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:23 pm

**** affraid

hahaha i read it wrong in my earlier post, thought nam said stabilizer not gain. Shocked

Anyway i never run the gain lower than 12, usualy run it around 16=17 on the 5000
with the stabilizer around 6-7

Pete in wa Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 pm

nam wrote:I'm lost.

I have had this problem more than once,What i would normaly do is swap back to standard Double D and everything is sweet.But this time i thought ,Everyone says if your not using a mono your missing gold.But found i had to lower the gain to 3,4,5 to get it to run smooth.
The machine is set up to the SETA PROJECT right down to the coil that JP used in the dvd.
Narrawa, like the vid & pictures keep them coming.

Nick.
Hi Nick, 3,4,5, on the gain using enhance if your looking for surface gold.
I could understand going to 4,5, using normal or s/extra but not using enhance.
What settings are you using with Motion, Audio, and Stabilizer.?

If your new to the mono coil i can understand your thinking you have problems getting it to run smooth, but generally mono's dont run as smooth as DDs.
Just a few quick settings to try with the 14x9 GS.
Gain 8
Motion v/slow
Stabilizer 4-7
Try the Audio in Normal to start with then Quiet if you find its still a bit choppy.
And Coil RX switch on the front end cap in mono.
Do an auto tune and seen if those settings appear smother.

Still alot of variables to consider but this should give us something more to go on.
Keep us upto date.

Glad you liked the vids & pics.
Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  nam Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:28 am

Thank's for the help.I will have a play with settings next time out.
nam
nam
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

What is the lowest you woud go on the GAIN? Empty lowest gain

Post  evan2010 Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Gday I personally wouldnt ever go below a gain of 7or8 as Id rather drop the stabilizer a touch and/or use a vslow motion setting to help smooth out the threshold. Cheers Evan
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  hunter2003 Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Using a 4500, Commander 15x12 Mono, or NF 12 Mono Elip,

Never under 12, prefer to remain at 13 or 14, just move the Stabilizer between 6 and 8 depending on the conditons. Majority of ground I stick too is High Mineralised.

Cheers

hunter2003
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down