Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hi, I live on Nsw South coast, Batemans Bay

4 posters

Go down

hi, I live on Nsw South coast, Batemans Bay Empty hi, I live on Nsw South coast, Batemans Bay

Post  bbayjohn Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 am

Hi all,
I have been reading this forum and am finding it very interesting. I have much to learn.
Is there a 101 basics guide for dummies for where I should start?
Also I'm thinking of getting a cheap detector from ebay
.ebay.com.au/itm/Deep-Sensitive-Metal-Detector-Searching-Gold-Digger-Treasure-Hunter-LCD-/371203024706?hash=item566d6ca742:g:2PsAAOSwiDFYPNam

Will I find gold with this or should I just hire a proper detector? We have a detector den in town.
Last question (for now) Any locals about?

regards
John
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-01-11

Back to top Go down

hi, I live on Nsw South coast, Batemans Bay Empty Re: hi, I live on Nsw South coast, Batemans Bay

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 am

Welcome to the forum bbayjohn

I had a quick look at your ebay link..
will it find gold. Good question..

.ebay.com.au/itm/Deep-Sensitive-Metal-Detector-Searching-Gold-Digger-Treasure-Hunter-LCD-/371203024706?hash=item566d6ca742:g:2PsAAOSwiDFYPNam

There are a lot of knowledgeable members here..
they should be able to help you.

Back to top Go down

hi, I live on Nsw South coast, Batemans Bay Empty Re: hi, I live on Nsw South coast, Batemans Bay

Post  bbayjohn Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:57 am

Hi Jen And thanks for the welcome Very Happy
I looked at this model because its in my price range currently and it has 5 settings. One of them has to be gold, right?
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 am

Geez John..
I dont know.. you get what you pay for.

I know detectors are pricey, but if you really want to find gold, save your money up.
I can recommend the SDC2300, but the price for them is around 3,300 brand new.
I have one.. love it!
They are very popular.. second hand one's do pop up, but they go real quick..
But i guess if you just want to hunt for treasures on the beach, that ebay one would do..

Wait till the other members wake from there slumber Sleep
they will help put you on the right track..
There are other detectors that are cheaper, then the sdc2300 and the members will be able to tell you..

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 am

gday and welcome mate, jen is on the money when it comes to buying your first detector I was always told to get the best you can afford to give yourself the best chance in finding gold, these days a good secondhand gpx 4000 will set ya back less then the sdc with the new 4500 going for the same price as the sdc giving you more depth and range of deep targets cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:15 am

Hi John and welcome to the site mate. Now by your comments you are mainly looking for gold. So the next question you have to ask your self is "how much am I willing to spend on either a new or second hand detector ?"
The Minelab GPX or the SDC series detectors are the way to go. You can pick these up new or second hand. But remember, the later the model, high the price. Also be VERY CAREFUL of buying a detector through E-bay. There is a lot of counterfeit detectors out there and they do come up on e-bay. If you are looking at one there and your not sure if it is OK or not, just put up the link on this site and someone here will check it out for you.
Good luck and PLEASE fill in your holes when out in the bush.
wombat. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 am

Hi John
When DetectaDen was in Canberra I found them to be excellent in giving advice and range of product. Why not go and have a chat with them in the Bay. Tell them your budget and what you are after (gold nuggets mainly??) and where you are more likely to detect. They may have good quality used detectors in stock that will meet your needs. No harm in chatting anyway. And if you are not happy you can walk away and perhaps a little wiser too.
We've all faced the same questions when we started and know how hard and confusing it can be but asking questions is a great start.
Good luck.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Jen58 wrote:Geez John..
I dont know.. you get what you pay for.

I know detectors are pricey, but if you really want to find gold, save your money up.
I can recommend the SDC2300, but the price for them is around 3,300 brand new.
I have one.. love it!
They are very popular.. second hand one's do pop up, but they go real quick..
But i guess if you just want to hunt for treasures on the beach, that ebay one would do..

Wait till the other members wake from there slumber  Sleep
they will help put you on the right track..
There are other detectors that are cheaper, then the sdc2300 and the members will be able to tell you..

Yeah we were up a bit late last night. Treasures on the beach would be a start and maybe a down payment on a second hand unit if I got lucky. Batemans bay is a tourist town and we have had many visitors to our beaches recently. Would the above model posted find rings and jewellery on sandy beaches or is there a unit slightly more expensive, maybe up to $300.That would be more effective for now. Or are all cheapies on a level swinging field?
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:45 pm

joe82 wrote:gday and welcome mate, jen is on the money when it comes to buying your first detector I was always told to get the best you can afford to give yourself the best chance in finding gold, these days a good secondhand gpx 4000 will set ya back less then the sdc with the new 4500 going for the same price as the sdc giving you more depth and range of deep targets cheers joe,

Thanks Joe for the warm welcome. That is good advice. More depth would be an advantage it would give me more of a chance at finding the shinny stuff. The places I would be heading to would of have had many a swing arm already.

bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Wombat wrote:Hi John and welcome to the site mate. Now by your comments you are mainly looking for gold. So the next question you have to ask your self is "how much am I willing to spend on either a new or second hand detector ?"
The Minelab GPX or the SDC series detectors are the way to go. You can pick these up new or second hand. But remember, the later the model, high the price. Also be VERY CAREFUL of buying a detector through E-bay. There is a lot of counterfeit detectors out there and they do come up on e-bay. If you are looking at one there and your not sure if it is OK or not, just put up the link on this site and someone here will check it out for you.
Good luck and PLEASE fill in your holes when out in the bush.
wombat. Wink

Thanks Wombat, finding some gold would be amazing. Thanks for the heads up on ebay, that's why I listed this model. Cant afford much atm, so maybe hiring a decent detector like a The Minelab GPX or the SDC series is the way to go for me.
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Detectist wrote:Hi John
When DetectaDen was in Canberra I found them to be excellent in giving advice and range of product.  Why not go and have a chat with them in the Bay.  Tell them your budget and what you are after (gold nuggets mainly??) and where you are more likely to detect.  They may have good quality used detectors in stock that will meet your needs.  No harm in chatting anyway.  And if you are not happy you can walk away and perhaps a little wiser too.
We've all faced the same questions when we started and know how hard and confusing it can be but asking questions is a great start.
Good luck.
Cheers Detectist, I'm defiantly going to do that. Was just saying to the misses we need go to DetectaDen. She suggested we say "we would like to buy this unit but would like to test it first & where do you suggest we test it?"

I have a little plan I am working on. I was actually lead to this site by Banditos post Old Goldfields, Araluen NSW. I had previously gathered some information about the most bloodthirsty bushrangers of all.........
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kunnara Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Hey there John...Are you the same fella that's on KFDU??

Cheers..

Kunnara
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:54 pm

Kunnara wrote:Hey there John...Are you the same fella that's on KFDU??

Cheers..
Hi Kunnara
Nope not me. I do however own a few kayaks, am a member of Fishnet & few other forums with the same user name.
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down