Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the forum and detecting - from Cairns FNQ.

3 posters

Go down

New to the forum and detecting - from Cairns FNQ. Empty New to the forum and detecting - from Cairns FNQ.

Post  bigkingsalmon Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi Guys and Gals. I'm new to this hobby and have finally bought a detector a Gpx 5000. I have always been keen to give prospecting a go. I am an avid fisherman and see a lot of similarities between fishing and prospecting. EG - research + effort = reward. This works for fishing anyway! I hope to gather as much info I can about detecting/prospecting and figure this is a good place to start. I would appreciate any info about which handheld Gps' are worthwhile. What is the best way to store maps laptop vs Gps? What is the best way in general to store digital info in regards to maps, mines etc? I haven't even tried the detector out yet! Are there many members from Cairns on this forum? Thanks.
bigkingsalmon
bigkingsalmon
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-04-05

Back to top Go down

New to the forum and detecting - from Cairns FNQ. Empty Re: New to the forum and detecting - from Cairns FNQ.

Post  kon61 Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Welcome aboard bigkingsalmon.

I only carry a basic hand held GPS myself,a Garmin "eTrex" which does more than what I use it for.I don't use a laptop,so maybe someone else here can help you with the GPS/downloading to computer side.
By the way,the GPX 5000 is top PI unit. Research to gold localities + Ground time is what you now need.

Cheers Kon.Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

New to the forum and detecting - from Cairns FNQ. Empty Re: New to the forum and detecting - from Cairns FNQ.

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:28 pm

garmin oregon 600 are the new generation and a huge advancement...but like already mentioned a lower spec etrex will work a treat.

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:52 pm

As one Cairns member to another. Welcome bigkingsalmon, the garmin etrex 20 does me only a small sreen but. Dose not come with maps, but down load free topo (shonky maps) and that does me fine.  Good luck out there.

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down