Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

18"elite and my lucky nugget

+3
deutran
colour
nuggethill
7 posters

Go down

18"elite and my lucky nugget Empty 18"elite and my lucky nugget

Post  nuggethill Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:39 am

Just a photo of the new 18" elite I hope will find the retirement nugget
anyway I do believe in luck out on the gold fields
weather it be good or bad but if lucks with you you'll find that big nugget
the nugget on the coil is one I like to wear and is 9 grams

18"elite and my lucky nugget Img_0512

regards Harry

Last edited by nuggethill on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to change the regards)
nuggethill
nuggethill
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-02-23

http://nuggethill65@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

18"elite and my lucky nugget Empty Re: 18"elite and my lucky nugget

Post  Guest Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:48 am

When you get out swinging it in the gold fields Harry.
I wish you the best of luck,
go low and slow, enjoy the hunt!
be prepared to dig deep holes, which is what this coil is meant to make you do Very Happy

I hope you find a ripper of a nugget.

That sure is a pretty nugget thats on your coil Twisted Evil

I hope you share your thoughts on the coil as well,
also would love to hear of your finds if you want to share that is

GOOD LUCK

Back to top Go down

Post  colour Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Beautiful nugget. Shape of a crucifix.
colour
colour
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Tried out the 18" for a few hours yesterday,can't really report much tried deeper ground that good size gold was found but nothing turned up only a button.Seems to run fine,quiet,isn't overly sensitive.Performs well on open ground and easy to pinpoint targets.I'll need to put in some more hours to get a better idea.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks for you're update post Deutran, I too had an opportunity to use the coil over the past couple of days. I too found it quiet on the ground, but it did invite a bit more electrical (EMI) noise than what my 14" Elite invites. Unluckily, I too didn't find any gold to report, but during comparison air-testing between the 14" and the 18",  I did find it to have a greater distance in picking up targets, but saying that, the targets had to be large (a cigarette case was used for this experiment). Targets of a smaller size, were more clear and more easily detected on the 14". One test that I did perform, was on a buried 20c piece at 24" in extremely mineralised ground and when I say extreme, I mean the 20c is buried in the middle of 3 mineralised patches, the furthest being about 30cm away, where if you balance on one, the other 2 patches will sound off and visa versa (and it's been buried for about 2 years now). Anyway, testing the 18", I had a very hard time picking up the buried 20c piece....I could get it, but it was very very hard in this ground and I would give it a 90% chance that the sound was that unclear, that it would probably be missed. Testing the 14" over the same target in the same location withing a 10 minute time frame, the response was a lot sharper and a lot more distinct than that previously heard by the 18". Because the ground was and still is extreme, the target could still quite easily be missed in between the mineralised pockets, if a proper ground balance is not achieved, but I would give it a slightly better than 50/50 chance that if the same person that used the 18" was now using the 14", that he would did this. So my conclusion (which is by far, not totally complete) is that the 14" will remain as my general purpose, all rounder, good for everything, default coil, and the 18" will come out when deep ground warrants it. As far as the 18" being, as I had hoped for, my general, scout around for new ground coil, the fact that it couldn't clearly hear that 20c piece at 24" makes me think that it might have trouble hearing anything smaller than an ounce at 24", a target that I wouldn't really want to risk missing, hence unless I know I'm scouting deep ground, I'll default to the 14" for everyday use.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:18 pm

CostasDee wrote:Thanks for you're update post Deutran, I too had an opportunity to use the coil over the past couple of days. I too found it quiet on the ground, but it did invite a bit more electrical (EMI) noise than what my 14" Elite invites. Unluckily, I too didn't find any gold to report, but during comparison air-testing between the 14" and the 18",  I did find it to have a greater distance in picking up targets, but saying that, the targets had to be large (a cigarette case was used for this experiment). Targets of a smaller size, were more clear and more easily detected on the 14". One test that I did perform, was on a buried 20c piece at 24" in extremely mineralised ground and when I say extreme, I mean the 20c is buried in the middle of 3 mineralised patches, the furthest being about 30cm away, where if you balance on one, the other 2 patches will sound off and visa versa (and it's been buried for about 2 years now). Anyway, testing the 18", I had a very hard time picking up the buried 20c piece....I could get it, but it was very very hard in this ground and I would give it a 90% chance that the sound was that unclear, that it would probably be missed. Testing the 14" over the same target in the same location withing a 10 minute time frame, the response was a lot sharper and a lot more distinct than that previously heard by the 18". Because the ground was and still is extreme, the target could still quite easily be missed in between the mineralised pockets, if a proper ground balance is not achieved, but I would give it a slightly better than 50/50 chance that if the same person that used the 18" was now using the 14", that he would did this. So my conclusion (which is by far, not totally complete) is that the 14" will remain as my general purpose, all rounder, good for everything, default coil, and the 18" will come out when deep ground warrants it. As far as the 18" being, as I had hoped for, my general, scout around for new ground coil, the fact that it couldn't clearly hear that 20c piece at 24" makes me think that it might have trouble hearing anything smaller than an ounce at 24", a target that I wouldn't really want to risk missing, hence unless I know I'm scouting deep ground, I'll default to the 14" for everyday use.
Hi Costas
These are my thoughts exactly and I was thinking I'd need to target 1 or 2 ounces or above before any noticeable depth increase.As with yourself it obviously has significant increase over the 14 in air on large targets.For general use I don't think the 14" will be coming off soon.I have the 11"Elite and its the same story it will only be used now for specific situations.Its highly sensitive and not practical for me as the 14 has ample sensitivity with the added depth.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks for that deutran & costasdee ,interesting .As much as I love my 14'' elite ,and have dug some junk at unbelievable depths in mild ground conditions .But in junk or areas of heavy minerilisation ,i'm taking the 14'' back off ,and putting the 11'' ml dd back on .The other day I experimented with several soft signals in this particular narrow band of hot ground ,and with the 14'' in sens / smooth ,numbed down quite a bit from F/P , very faint response with the 14'' ,could of even missed  some of them ,where as the 11'' dd in either special /fine ,deep mode or numbed down a bit special / sharp ,deep mode ,the signals fairly blew in !!
So yeah as much as i'm interested in the 18'' elite ,it appears to me that target size /response has to be large enough to create a signal response to over ride the filters / timings , in this particular piece of  hot ground that i'm currently working on any way .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:19 am

Gday Hugh
Tried SensSmooth when I first bought my 4500. Never used it again since. It's a really heavy cloaking device and I can hardly think of a place where it would be suitable. If you're  gonna test the 14" I reckon you're  better off in enhance or sens extra with the rx and stab lowered for noisy ground conditions. Just my two bobs worth, hope it helps.
Cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:00 pm

mulgadansa wrote:Gday Hugh
Tried SensSmooth when I first bought my 4500. Never used it again since. It's a really heavy cloaking device and I can hardly think of a place where it would be suitable. If you're  gonna test the 14" I reckon you're  better off in enhance or sens extra with the rx and stab lowered for noisy ground conditions. Just my two bobs worth, hope it helps.
Cheers
Brett

I'm with you Brett, I tried SensSmooth on my 4500 and would only ever think of using it at the most extreme of situations where I couldn't tame Enhanced down. Not saying that there isn't, but I've yet to find such extreme ground to have to switch to SensSmooth.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  deano Thu May 25, 2017 10:51 pm

I agree. After using the 18" last week, I noticed it did not sing as clear on small targets as the 14 elite does,(same settings) but that is not what it is for. It definitely will give us a more definable positive response on a deeper multi ounce nugget, where the 14" just can not hear it clearly. I am talking about mineralised ground here, so I can not comment on mild ground.
But I am still impressed so far by the signal from the small piece I picked up with it. My thoughts after that were that the 14" is an awesome coil to use all day long. Then go over areas you know gold has been found in the past and put the 18 on, and you will pick up deeper larger nuggets, sticking to V slow motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4nh5W6IY0Y&t=101s
More time out there with these coils is the key.
Deano

deano
deano
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down