Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New gold prospecting member from the UK

2 posters

Go down

New gold prospecting member from the UK Empty New gold prospecting member from the UK

Post  goldgrabber Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi guys, I've just signed up, I'm based in the UK and prospect around Scotland and am planning on visiting other places like wales, maybe Ireland etc...

I run a gold prospecting group on facebook and welcome all new members, the link is in my signature. I also like making videos and have uploaded about 20 to youtube so far ranging from general prospecting videos to "how to make" videos for prospecting tools and recovery equipment.

Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to contributing alien
goldgrabber
goldgrabber
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Back to top Go down

New gold prospecting member from the UK Empty Re: New gold prospecting member from the UK

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi Goldgrubber and welcome to the forum.

Great to have another overseas member.

Looking forward to check all your videos.

Good luck in your adventures.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

New gold prospecting member from the UK Empty Re: New gold prospecting member from the UK

Post  goldgrabber Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Cheers, hope you like them
goldgrabber
goldgrabber
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi there Goldgrabber, Welcome to the mad house. LOL. I have looked at all your vids & The ones of your home made do it yourself fossicking gear brought a smile to my face. Ah Yer.....been there done that. I started out on the gold fever trip making all my own gear including sluice boxes, gold dredges, highbankers, crevice sucker pumps, creving tools etc. All good fun & the beauty of making your own gear is that you learn what works, what doesnt & why plus you save a bit of money. Nice satisfaction using your own made gear & getting the goods with it.

Here are a few pics of some stuff I have made over the years.

New gold prospecting member from the UK CopyofPic_0236

New gold prospecting member from the UK Pic_0239

New gold prospecting member from the UK Pic_0238

My first ever sluice box

New gold prospecting member from the UK JSpotX5

Home made 2" suction dredge. Sluice box & wooden crasher box. I still have this exact same set up. LOL

New gold prospecting member from the UK J14

New gold prospecting member from the UK J13

New gold prospecting member from the UK 2inchdredge

Rocker cradle made out of old wooden nail boxes

New gold prospecting member from the UK JGoldCradle1

Off on a mission. Same sluice box as the 2" suction dredge but with the crasher box removed.

Mrs JW & I putting some gravel throughit

New gold prospecting member from the UK JArrowRiver3

The result for a few hours "work"

New gold prospecting member from the UK JArrowRiver4

I didnt make this stamper but just thought I would throw it in...since I am getting a bit carried away. Rolling Eyes

New gold prospecting member from the UK JBlacksPoint2

The 2" dredge box being used as a gravity suction dredge using the siphon principle. Worked a treat

New gold prospecting member from the UK J5

New gold prospecting member from the UK J7

Inside the header box. Couple of pieces of gold each side of the pliers

New gold prospecting member from the UK J6
This is the hole I was sucking out

New gold prospecting member from the UK J8

Result from this one mission up a steep little mountain creek

New gold prospecting member from the UK J12

My first ever sluice box that I made, The one in my first pic above, I cut in half & made this high banker.

New gold prospecting member from the UK Banjo

New gold prospecting member from the UK Banjo1

Bundles up in to an easy portable package & fits on to a back pack frame with a couple of bungies

New gold prospecting member from the UK BanjoTransportable

Also doubles as a 2" suction dredge.

New gold prospecting member from the UK Arrow11

New gold prospecting member from the UK Arrow9

Result from a couple of hours of this operation. 16 grams

New gold prospecting member from the UK Arrowgold

Home made sucker pumps, crevicing tools & little sucker bottle. The wooden handled crevice scrapers are made out of old hand saw blade steel & are very strong & flexible & get right in to those cracks & crevices

New gold prospecting member from the UK Crevicetools

These are my latest sluice boxes that I was making & selling

New gold prospecting member from the UK Sluicesucker017

Riffles lift up for easy clean out

New gold prospecting member from the UK Sluicesucker020

Using out in the field

New gold prospecting member from the UK Operatingsluicebox002

New gold prospecting member from the UK Operatingsluicebox003

Clean up

New gold prospecting member from the UK Operatingsluicebox016

New gold prospecting member from the UK Operatingsluicebox017

result

New gold prospecting member from the UK Operatingsluicebox020

New gold prospecting member from the UK Operatingsluicebox021

I have since added a detachable flare, For easy back packing in to remote spots, on the sluice box. Notice how the water current crosses over just above the black ribbed matting. Great drop out zone & in a good place

New gold prospecting member from the UK Sluiceboxdam1

I had to dam this little burn as I needed all the water going down the box to make it work. White buckets are classifier sieve buckets that I made. This helped make the box work with such a low water flow.

New gold prospecting member from the UK Sluiceboxdam

I had to tape some polythene plastic to the flare to get a good water seal so there was no leakage & all the water was going down the box

New gold prospecting member from the UK Tapuflare

Result from this day

New gold prospecting member from the UK Corogold005

Talking of sieve buckets. Also under water view finder. PVC pipe with glass silicond in the end.

New gold prospecting member from the UK Feedercreekafterflood3

New gold prospecting member from the UK PIC_0834

OOOpppsss....got a bit carried away with the pics....but you got to love it aye.  Very Happy

I am in Central Otago, South Island of New Zealand which has a very strong Scottish heritage. Our main City, Dunedin, is known as the Edinburgh of the south. I believe that Otago is the only place in the sothern hemisphere & maybe even outside of Scotland that practices Curling & has done since the very early days. It is "played' on the naturaly frozen on gold mining sluicing dams that are today used for irrigation. Many of our creeks & streams are called burns & your easter video of you sluice boxing could be any burn here in Otago. The country side is identical.

New gold prospecting member from the UK OldDunstanRd8_zpsc064b533

New gold prospecting member from the UK OldDunstanRd27_zps628f5e7e

Up in the high country we have tussocks a below the snow line thyme bushes, where as you have heather.

This stone cottage built out of schist is an old gold miners home built in the 1870's & would not be out of place in Scotland. The little scruby bushes are thyme bushes

Complete with snow. This pic was taken at the end of december which is almost the middle of out summer.  scratch

New gold prospecting member from the UK 84e1e6ec

New gold prospecting member from the UK 38e1c840

Here are some old gold workings tailings in a turned over gully up in the high country

New gold prospecting member from the UK OldDunstanRd20_zps0571a4ea

I spent many years sluice boxing & dredging but now focus on detecting with minelab metal detectors fossicking for gold up in our high country. You will find that this site is more geared towards that kind of prospecting than sluice boxing & panning & while you will have a lot of people look at your posts you may not get too much response. Dont let that put you off not contributing though as your in put is appreciated.

Very best of luck to you out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down