Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about optimum frequency 4500

4 posters

Go down

Question about optimum frequency 4500 Empty Question about optimum frequency 4500

Post  eric Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi. Just a question about if there is an optimum frequency to tune a 4000 / 4500 to.
If there is, is it different for different coils, does it change according to conditions and how do you find it?
There seems to be a general opinion that around 90-110 is good, and I have been using that.
When I autotune it always settles on the higher numbers. I guess there is a reason for this.
Just found this forum a couple of days ago and learned a lot already. Thanks guys.
Cheers

eric
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Question about optimum frequency 4500 Empty Re: Question about optimum frequency 4500

Post  kon61 Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:39 am

G'day Eric.

The more unstable your threshold becomes,that's how you know that your machine needs retuning. The more steadier or smoother a hum you're detector produces that's when you know your threshold is at its optimum.
For a more precise threshold,after auto tuning your detector, and if you still find your threshold slightly unstable, get into manual tune,and fine tune it manually from there,for a more precise and stable threshold hum.
Different coils can produce different EMI factors.Just like each different coil,requires reground balancing to suit its ground conditions,so its only good practice to retune your machine after changing coils.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Question about optimum frequency 4500 Empty Re: Question about optimum frequency 4500

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Eric, I understand what you are asking here, I have heard of this also and there has been much debate on the subject. I can't find the discussion on the topic (it may not have been on this forum)

I run mine on/or around 93, I've heard of guys running over a target on every frequency to find the sweet one, also one comment was that some-one did this and found the perfect freq. for thier machine, BUT then went to the huge effort of doing this again with the same target on a different day....And different perfect freq. was found...????

I think it may be just one of those things that we really don't need to be to concerned about.

After all you would only change this if encountered with interferrence, (threshold asside), so auto tune should idealy be the best option you would think as it scans all freq. to find the quietest for that position on that day.(as stated in the manual) Having said that, when I first started out and thought this was a major issue, in a particular spot on numerous occasions I would auto tune and did notice that freq. could end up a long way from the previous time in that location.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Question about optimum frequency 4500 Empty Thanks for reply

Post  eric Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks Kon61 and GoldstalkerGPX for replying.
I have spent many hours trying to find that (non-existant) frequency. Now it's back to real detecting.
Funny how easy it is to get sidetracked with something that seems reasonable but goes no-where, but
that's just part of the adventure.
Happy hunting.
Cheers.
Eric

eric
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Question about optimum frequency 4500 Empty That sweetTuning number.

Post  adaduam Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Eric,
If you have the Instruction Manual for the GPX-4500, just go to Page 32 and it will explain the "what & why" to your question. Question about optimum frequency 4500 Icon_exclaim

Of course the "Tuning" will often need to be adjusted during the day depending on things like temperature etc. I was told that anything that affected your old style portable radio will also influence your detector. (That was from someone who is sure he knows everything!) Question about optimum frequency 4500 Icon_rolleyes

Question about optimum frequency 4500 Icon_cheers al

adaduam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down