Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dilute acid

5 posters

Go down

Dilute acid  Empty Dilute acid

Post  Detrackozi Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 am

Hi all

I have some 50% HF and would like to dilute it down what is best to mix it with and at what ratio, does anyone already have a formula they use.
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Dilute acid  Empty Re: Dilute acid

Post  piston broke Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:32 am

Persoally, I wouldn't be touching that strength HF ( too bloody dangerous). But in answer to your question, sorry I don't know. Very Happy  cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 am

That's fine Pete have been using a 20% mix for the past 15 year's but now it's weaking off
Been doing the best but yes one mistake and that's all it takes
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:07 am

FWIW - The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) which shows composition and proportions for Ali Brite is here:

http://www.septone.com.au/msds/ATA1.htm

Might help or at least help you decide on other proportions.

Last edited by Detectist on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:43 am

Detectist

Just been out to get some Ali brite and just stuck a nugget in it for now till I can get a mix setup for the HF, Ali brite does work fine but a bit slow.
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:43 pm

David,
HF should only be handled by trained laboratory staff.
Do you have the neutraliser on hand, in case?
Remember the assistant here in WA who got splashed with HF, he thought he was safe by jumping into a swimming pool.
A week later he was DEAD!

Regards
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Yeah mate- id be getting myself some calcium gluconate gel myself if i was using a mix as strong as that, Its also available in an eye wash solution. In the industry i work in we use a lot of flourosilicic acid, which has a certain amount of hydroflouric acid in with it, anyway i met a guy a few months ago who was working at a water treatment plant when a hose blew out covering him head to toe in flourosilicic acid, luckily he had safety glasses on (he reckons this would have been alot worse if it entered his eyes). Anyway he jumped in the safety shower for half an hour before driving himself to a regional hostpital where he was pumped full drugs and spent the night in ICU- anyway he ended up being fine and being one of the very rare few who actually walk out of an ICU.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 pm

if u r careless enough to splash Hydrofluric on u then u need to take all your clothes off and jump under a shower or into a swimming pool--(talking of 20% and up.) U should have extractor fans and an enclosed cabinet --something like those sand blasting cabinets--and a lockable safe for storage..the acid should be stored in heavy duty plastic containers with a lid.

Further more u need a permit in WA to have anything over 10%.--it used to be called RUSTIBAN..and ALWAYS HAVE CALCIUM GLUCONATE on hand--buy a fresh tube every 12 months..

That bloke that died a couple of years back done the right thing by jumping in the pool but didn't remove his clothes-A fatal mistake---the acid stays imbedded in your clothes and this is what eventually killed him slowly after 5 days.

I use 10% and it doesn't eat the quartz but it whitens it nicely and yellows the gold..

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down