Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acid wash?

5 posters

Go down

Acid wash? Empty Acid wash?

Post  AUgirl Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 am

I have a piece of ironstone with gold in it and have it soaking in hydracholic acid. Small flecks of gold are coming off it, should I continue to get the ironstone off it or leave it be? Can anyone tell me how to safely dispose of the acid? It is only a small amount but I am environmentally conscious and don't want to damage any ground, plants or drains. Any advise greatly appreciated. Thanks
AUgirl
AUgirl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Acid wash? Empty Re:acid wash

Post  Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 am

Hi AUgirl...
First thing u should have done was to read the MSD sheet befor u play with any acid---trying not to sound to critical but hello--
Its like getting into a car and driving off and asking --How do I stop this thing?

As far as the gold flaking of--sounds like it is a poor speccy--or crystaline gold

When u take the gold out off the acid bath--hopefully in a plastic container and in a well ventilated area--have a running tap and pour the acid slowly into it--as not to splash and throughly wash the container out--wear rubber gloves and safety glasses. Leave water running for a couple of minutes to b sure--or simply recycle the acid back into the original container to b most enviro friendly,

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Acid wash? Empty Re: Acid wash?

Post  Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 am

Add Lime "Not the fruit" to your acid. Lime will neutralize any acid, then you can safely flush it down the drain!
Cheers. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Always remember to add the acid to the water not water to the acid. if you add water to concentrated acid the water can boil & blow back right in your face Shocked When handling acids, a great little ditty I always remember from long ago helps me to remember which order to go:

Don't be a fool, do what you oughta,
Add the acid to the water.

To make it rhyme, it must be in the right order Very Happy

Also as Someday mentioned you can add lime to the acid to neutralize it & also good old bi-carb of soda will also do the same job. I usually add the acid to some water first to dilute the acid at the rate of about 10:1 ie 10 litres water to 1 litre acid & then keep adding bi-carb until the fizzing reaction stops - then it's neutralised. Be careful when you first add the bi-carb as it will fizz up quite violently & might overflow out of your container - so do it on a patch of dirt or grass just to be safe. Very Happy
Cheers, Andy
shandeemax
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:01 pm

shandeemax wrote:Always remember to add the acid to the water not water to the acid. if you add water to concentrated acid the water can boil & blow back right in your face Shocked When handling acids, a great little ditty I always remember from long ago helps me to remember which order to go:

Don't be a fool, do what you oughta,
Add the acid to the water.

To make it rhyme, it must be in the right order Very Happy

Also as Someday mentioned you can add lime to the acid to neutralize it & also good old bi-carb of soda will also do the same job. I usually add the acid to some water first to dilute the acid at the rate of about 10:1 ie 10 litres water to 1 litre acid & then keep adding bi-carb until the fizzing reaction stops - then it's neutralised. Be careful when you first add the bi-carb as it will fizz up quite violently & might overflow out of your container - so do it on a patch of dirt or grass just to be safe. Very Happy
Cheers, Andy

Great post !! you cant be to careful!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I second the bi carb soda,

the easiest way to neuralize the acid as most people have it in their kitchen cupboards.
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lxss5000 Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 pm

If you add lime or carb soda it will fizz up creating further issues, Hydrochloric acid (and only Hydrochloric not other acids) is used by plummers to clear gunk from drains so there is no hassles with pouring it straight down, no environmental impact just flush with plenty of water after and be careful not to splash it on yourself.

Alternatively put it in a labelled bottle and store for next time.

lxss5000
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Lime's cheaper! $20.00 a ton would be a rip off!

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi AUgirl,

I like to sprinkle about 1cm of bi carb soda across the bottom of a normal bucket place my used acid container in the middle of the bucket and use a slow running hose to add water both to the bucket and then the acid untill the acid jar spills over into the bi carb water and fizzes out. add more water to the acid container let it fizz out again. then drop bi carb into the water above the acid container untill it all stops fizzing. When the bi carb starts to pile up on the bottom then the acid is all neutralised and I tip it all down the drain.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  AUgirl Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks for all the suggestions....I knew if I asked I would find out the tricks of the trade. I will definately get some lime someday Someday (not the one off a tree) haha and I love the rhyme Andy, one to remember! thanks
I just happen to have some bi carb in the cupboard Koeh & my drains could use a little clean out lxss5000!!
Dicko...I will definately be using a bucket. Thanks all
Cheers
Marg
AUgirl
AUgirl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  lxss5000 Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 pm

AUgirl wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions....I knew if I asked I would find out the tricks of the trade. I will definately get some lime someday Someday (not the one off a tree) haha and I love the rhyme Andy, one to remember! thanks
I just happen to have some bi carb in the cupboard Koeh & my drains could use a little clean out lxss5000!!
Dicko...I will definately be using a bucket. Thanks all
Cheers
Marg

Honestly you have nothing to worry about by pouring down the drain, I use my outside drain, think about swimming pools you use exacly the same stuff to bring the PH up then you swim in it, it will not pollute and is easly and cheaply washed away with a few litres of water.

lxss5000
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down