Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cairns Research

3 posters

Go down

Cairns Research Empty Cairns Research

Post  gcause Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi all been a while since I last posted here, hope you are all well and finding lots of the yellow stuff.

I have moved to Cairns for three months for work and have been doing sone research on the goldfields around here which I thought I would share with you all.

www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6112

Went out for my first dig at Goldborough the other day and last weekend at Stoney creek but only found fools gold, pyrites, both times I hadn't seen it before only seen the real stuff before that so it was a bit of a surprise for me.

Here's the photos from that day:

www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6499

Has anyone been to Cairns before and has some info they wouldn't mind passing on to me?

I am going to check out Mt.Mulligan and Tyconnel and Clermont and the Palmer river while I am up here also.

I am building a drywasher I hope to use out there, I've posted the plans I am using:

www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6563

Any info would be greatly appreciated  Very Happy 
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Cairns Research Empty Re: Cairns Research

Post  ggold Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:44 am

Hi gcause hope you enjoy your stay here in FNQ. I have done a lot of research on the gold fields in this area, but close to Cairns the gold bearing areas are mostly on private land or world heritage also are you interested in more in the history, panning or detecting.
The closest club is in Townsville with monthly trips and if they’re heading out Georgetown way its often the almost the same travel time as if you left from Cairns to meet up with them.
At the moment I am researching and trying to locate some old mines to the south of Cairns for a uni professor who is doing a study on a small bird called a swiftlet. They nest in caves and old mines. I was going for a hike this weekend but have not gone due to the heavy rain at the moment. Any way give us a pm with our ph number and I may be able to help.
Cheers Greg Cool 

ggold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for that will send a PM shortly.

I'm interested in all of it History, Panning and Detecting  Very Happy 

I've also been doing research in the local libraries and just scored a photocopy of a couple of chapters of Volume 4 of Gold and Ghosts which covers a lot of areas around Cairns. Its jam packed with great info. and I'd rather own a copy but I've been keeping an eye out for a set of these at a reasonable price but they are scarce as hens teeth.

Regards,

Grant
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Cairns Research Empty Re: Cairns research.

Post  shyneesteel Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 am

Hi ggold, would that be Eubanangee area you looking at or Mulgrave Valley?

shyneesteel
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2013-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  ggold Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 pm

shyneesteel wrote:Hi ggold, would that be Eubanangee area you looking at or Mulgrave Valley?

Hi Shyneesteel Must say never been to Eudanangee but have checked out a of the few mines in the Mulgrave Valley. Would like to do a hike soon down from the tablelands and come out at the third bridge Mulgrave river. You follow an old pack track down with a far bit of mining history to look at on the way.
Where I am helping the uni professor who I met through the caving club is of private land at Mt Peter . Its a bit of a mystery we can see a lot of these birds flying over the cane fields but have not found out where there nesting yet. Cheers Greg Cool 

ggold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Cairns Research Empty Re: Cairns research.

Post  shyneesteel Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi again ggold. Have you met and talked with Gunny Mohamid, owns the farm after Maitland Quarry. He bulldozed the track to the saddle top. Nice walking up there, seen most of the old shafts, lots of walking between them though and no prospecting allowed in the area.

shyneesteel
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2013-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  ggold Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi Shyneesteel No I have not met Gunny only the property owner that some of the old mines can be found on. Your right there is some good walks up there and it is very steep country. I am not doing any prospecting, I have only taken photos of the views ect. At the moment all we are trying to do is locate and put some names to the old mines
Cheers Greg  Cool 

ggold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Just posted photos of an authentic dry blower from the Mareeba goldfields for those interested:

www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6563
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down