Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A belated intro from Melbourne

Go down

A belated intro from Melbourne Empty A belated intro from Melbourne

Post  Guest Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am

G'day everyone. I've been reading the forum for a few months as the gold bug bit and intensified.

I'm in the inner western suburbs of Melbourne. As a family (3 kids 17, 14 & 7) we do lots of camping, fishing and general travel. I've played with metal detectors for decades and even built a couple of very basic ones in my teenage years. Reignited the bug last year after a couple of opportunities to swing a GPX5000. Found gold each time in Whipstick and Wedderburn!

Although it's hard to convince the eldest two boys that detecting is cool (they imagine an overweight bloke in long white socks and sandals, oblivious to the World, on a beach scooping sand amongst the sunbathers), the 7 year old is happy to join me.

I bought an X-terra 305 with an extra 6" DD for a great price on the eve of the Wedderburn Detector Jamboree earlier this year. The 7 year old found a token but I didn't Smile

Picked up a GPX4000 on the weekend near Fosterville. Had a swing at Heathcote on the way home (bumped into TTT off the forum who stopped by for a chat). Only found a .22 casing in the short time I was out there but at least proved the detector was working nicely. It came with the standard 11" DD and a 17x11 mono NF. Now looking for a smaller coil as most of my detecting will be in Victoria.

All the best,

Adrian

BTW, my username relates to my favourite chocolate.

Back to top Go down

A belated intro from Melbourne Empty Re: A belated intro from Melbourne

Post  Guest Wed May 07, 2014 10:34 am

Hi Adrian  Q31  to the forum..

Yep I have a teenage son (who isn't a teenager any more  Laughing he was about 14 at the time ) the gold bug didn't bite him either..
Yet he did find a nice 8 grammer, he just said "here mom"handed to me, said "will you buy it from me, I want to buy a remote control car" ...and went and sat down in the car for a nap while waiting for us.
I just looked shocked as it only took him 5 minutes to find the 8grammer, and he thought nothing of it.. Kids!!
 lol!  lol! 

Yet the oldest son.. I think he was born with a metal detector attached to his arm   Q25 

It is a funny thing detecting, it's not for everyone.. Hopefully your 7 year old will love it..

I too love that chocolate. Yummy!!  Laughing 
Enjoy the forum..

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed May 07, 2014 10:45 am

Nice chocolate that Lindt, although for bang for your buck, Cadbury is just fine too. Best of luck out there Lindt and  Q31  to the forum.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Jen.

Our sons are in the opposite "configuration" - the middle one has been with me to almost every opal field in the country and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just being a slovenly teenager at the moment! The eldest never got into the pastime.

The 7 year old (a girl) is enjoying it so far. The Wedderburn token hunt was a great introduction, with lasting memories. She even won a medal in the gold panning competition  Very Happy 

Regards,

Adrian

Jen58 wrote:Hi Adrian  Q31  to the forum..

Yep I have a teenage son (who isn't a teenager any more  Laughing he was about 14 at the time ) the gold bug didn't bite him either..
Yet he did find a nice 8 grammer, he just said "here mom"handed to me, said "will you buy it from me, I want to buy a remote control car" ...and went and sat down in the car for a nap while waiting for us.
I just looked shocked as it only took him 5 minutes to find the 8grammer, and he thought nothing of it.. Kids!!
 lol!  lol! 

Yet the oldest son.. I think he was born with a metal detector attached to his arm   Q25 

It is a funny thing detecting, it's not for everyone.. Hopefully your 7 year old will love it..

I too love that chocolate. Yummy!!  Laughing 
Enjoy the forum..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks CostasDee,

I've already learned a lot from the members and hope to contribute as my owm experience grows.

Adrian

CostasDee wrote:Nice chocolate that Lindt, although for bang for your buck, Cadbury is just fine too. Best of luck out there Lindt and  Q31  to the forum.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Welcome to the forum Lindt.I am another chocoholic and love to find some gold nuggets as well.

Wish you lot of success and looking forward some photos from the trips.
I have 2 teenager sons and no one of them is interested in this hobby just their usual stuff gaming gaming and more gaming.

I use to take them with me few years ago and even bought a cxt3030 for a younger one but they grew to quickly and prefer stay home.

Good luck gold hunting....
GoldEN

Back to top Go down