Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

manual gravel sucker

+2
mogy
igotanewdectector
6 posters

Go down

manual gravel sucker Empty manual gravel sucker

Post  igotanewdectector Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 pm

just wondering...
awhile ago I saw a guy on tv using a gravel sucker ...
it was like a large syringe say 900mm long 100mm diameter used
for sucking up fine silt and gravel for panning.

has anyone seen such a critter and where could I buy one ??

cheers

Last edited by igotanewdectector on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

igotanewdectector
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-11-25

Back to top Go down

manual gravel sucker Empty Re: manual gravel sucker

Post  mogy Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 pm

From past response about gravel pumps I think you  will find if  your in Australia they are frowned  upon , but if  your like  me , then no probs , we usually make  one ,  drain pipe,  suitable  rod , threaded  at one  end and a  tennis ball used as a seal  , handle at the other , away  you go  no more  shovels ever again .
If you want to see  one in use   try U tube and look at UK footage of gold panning .

good luck

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 am

Errrm??
A Yabby pump???
Commonly used here in QLD on the flats....
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm

.ebay.com.au/itm/162236967670?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

just bought one from Ebay.
Has anybody here had much success with a GOLD PROSPECTING HAND CREVICE PUMP DREDGE ?
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:22 pm

OK guys I'm going to let you know now right now, any sort of mechanical device that is used to obtain gravels for the purpose of gold prospecting is a NO NO. in most parts of Australia, by hobby prospectors.
BBayjohn the item that you have purchases is classified as a dredge as what the name states. GOLD PROSPECTING HAND CREVICE PUMP DREDGE. And dredging is now band in most parts of Australia. This is why it is not done now. If you get caught using any one of these, there is very heavy fines and possible confiscation of your gear.  
All of these items Hand Pumps, Yabby Pumps, Mechanical Dredges all have moving parts and in turn are classified as mechanical devices. Even if they are worked by hand, they still have moving parts, intern refered to as mechanical. Read your Miners Right Laws it states that on your licence.
The only mechanical item that you can use here in Victoria and some other part of Australia is a water pump to pump water ONLY to help you in the process of gravel wash. But the gravel wash has to obtained by hand using shovel or hand digging tools. Use the device in any other way and it is classified as a dredge.

The only way you can use any mechanical device is if you have a mining lease. Then you come under a whole new ball game.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:53 pm

I cannot see how this can be seen as a Mechanical device........it is not powered by anything and is really no different to a shovel or a broom.

I have to say some rules are just crying out to be broken.......

A lot of stuff you see on Ebay uses wording like "Dredge" to attract lookers......its called "Click Baiting" and usually has no relevance to the actual item being sold or being displayed

Like I said, some rules are just plain stupid and its no wonder people go against them.

And sorry Wombat I am not shooting the messenger.......I know you dont make the rules
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Harb wrote:I cannot see how this can be seen as a Mechanical device........it is not powered by anything and is really no different to a shovel or a broom.

I have to say some rules are just crying out to be broken.......

A lot of stuff you see on Ebay uses wording like "Dredge" to attract lookers......its called "Click Baiting" and usually has no relevance to the actual item being sold or being displayed

Like I said, some rules are just plain stupid and its no wonder people go against them.

And sorry Wombat I am not shooting the messenger.......I know you dont make the rules

That OK Harb
I think that the rules go overboard were it becomes about just using yabby pumps. But as I said because it has a moving part, meaning the piston even though you pushing and pulling it by hand, it is till a mechanical device in the eyes of the authorities. Stupid I know but thats how it is. But a broom or shovel has no moving parts except you pushing or digging with it by hand.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks for the warning Wombat. I'm with you Harb. Is the hand pump a dredge or is it a key word for searching? A search of dredge on ebay lists a lot of items that clearly are not dredges. Being from NSW I don't need a Miners rights licence?
I did purchase a prospecting licence to use a metal detector in NSW state forests.
What I could find in my searching
State Forests Nsw wrote:What techniques cannot be used for fossicking?
Neither explosives nor dredges can be used in fossicking.
Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or
processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and
electrical equipment or machinery.

bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bbayjohn Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 pm

Well my fish tank cleaner arrived today not sure what other uses I can find for it. The sender sent it to the wrong address Luckily the receiver took it back to the post office. I also found gold on a recent trip. See my avatar.
bbayjohn
bbayjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

manual gravel sucker Empty yabby pump

Post  mungoman Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:12 am

I reckon that you can classify a machine as a device that has more than one connected part...after all, a single pot two stroke engine has only three connected moving parts, and we all see that as a machine.

Last edited by mungoman on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not finished.)
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down