Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold Sucker Pump

+10
dudman1
Bazza
goldslinger
HOBO'S Gold
joe
russcoit
jkilgannon
gold-n-sand
nero_design
gray.nomad
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Gold Sucker Pump

Post  gray.nomad Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi all,
If anyone here is interested to build his/her own "Gold-Sand Sucker" (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDaGuK_cJA&feature=related), I designed and build my own pump and it works a treat. The plans are absolutely free for the asking. Smile
Just pm me.
My pump is a self cleaning double check-valve action, cheap to build and better then what you see in the movie.
Total cost app. $50.00.
Have a look at the YouTube movie first, then if it's of interest, email me.

See you up them thar hills
Frank Smile
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Re: Gold Sucker Pump

Post  nero_design Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:29 pm

Gold Sucker Pump Large
My own Gold N Sand Hand Dredge which I purchased this year to evaluate.

Technically this is a hand dredge. The video you linked to is the actual Gold N Sand model and the maker of this device assures me that there's a few illegal knock offs which 'don't work quite as well as the original'... more on that in a moment. The Gold N Sand is/was USD$99 and I purchased a Gold N Sand pump system from the US a couple months ago, expecting it to work nicely. Mechanically it appeared to be quite sound. But the system of leather valves and the distances involved between the valves and the outer nozzle meant that mine was not ideal for small Gold - which tends to fall back out before it makes it into the hose. Even some of the smaller gravel didn't make it into the hose. Part of the reason is that the Gold is too heavy for the distances involved (between components) and also the amount of suction produced is not strong enough. I ended up removing the lid from the bucket and placed it directly into my panning dish and weighed it down with a rock. Then I pumped directly into the pan but neither setup worked flawlessly. In fact I crushed the webbing between my thumb and forefinger at one stage... did it again too. So watch yourself if you use one. It did transport some sand and debris but the results for me were more satisfying with a modified yabby pump. If it was twice as powerful (suction wise) as the one I used it would be a winner. And the construction is actually quite tough. Several interchangeable heads with filter came with it as well (see picture).

The seller was straight forward, fast to ship (it arrived internationally in UNDER 5 days!) and took the time to explain to me why his components were designed to work well and would be long lasting. Unfortunately, I wasn't as happy with the results as I thought I would be. There is a "running in" time for the leather seals which expand in water and are superior to greased washer-system. But by the end of the tests I don't think it worked as effectively as I had hoped it would. I'll give it another test later to see if the valves have been broken in properly and work more efficiently.

Not sure you can produce and sell it here in Australia because the Gold N Sand is ALSO disctributed by several nominated dealers (according to the manufacturer) who will either report you for doing this to the Federal Police (the same squad that visits the local Sydney/Melboune markets looking for illegal, unlicenced knock offs) or find you personally and work you over for damging their livelihood. It seems to be a case of "Monkey See- Monkey Do" in the Prospecting community... and that's the way it was in the 1800's too. Make your own by all means but don't go selling these knock offs to the public by directing them to videos of the original product and then offering them your own under the guise of yours being "as good as the real one" (not that this is what you are doing... I'm just saying "be careful"). I can assure others that it will cost a LOT more than $50 to make one of these though. At least twice that if you look at the valve mechanism required in order to shift sand into the tube. I gather you didn't see the thread last week on violating overseas design patents in the Prospecting community?

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:36 pm

hi marco,
i know a bloke that had the same problem, to give it
more suction he put some stiff rubber beneath the
leather so it was more firmer right out to the edges.
might help
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 pm

fencejumper wrote:...to give it
more suction he put some stiff rubber beneath the
leather so it was more firmer right out to the edges.
might help
cheers

Thanks, Fencejumper... That's a great idea. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi Nero,

Please read my first post again.....
The plans for my pump are absolutely free, but for the asking for it.
I do not ask any money for it, I do not accept any donations for it, if anyone wants to have a "go " at me, bring it on....
My system is different then to the "gold and sand" pump that you have bought and which I referred to in my first post. Mine works similar, but better, due to a "almost" non-clogging and self cleaning check valve system.
I made several pumps, they work ok, if you're after flakey stuff.
The reason why I made those plans available is simply that I want to help others, if they want to build a good, reliable hand operated dredging system, 'cause that's what it is.
Frank

gray.nomad wrote:Hi all,
If anyone here is interested to build his/her own "Gold-Sand Sucker" (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDaGuK_cJA&feature=related), I designed and build my own pump and it works a treat. The plans are absolutely free for the asking. Smile
Just pm me.
My pump is a self cleaning double check-valve action, cheap to build and better then what you see in the movie.
Total cost app. $50.00.

Frank Smile
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Sucker pump

Post  gray.nomad Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:43 am

Hi all,

Thanks to detrackozi I have come across "file Sharing". Thanks also, Clarrie, for the WA files.

I have uploaded the plans for the "Sucker Pump". So, if you want to build a sucker.
just go there.
http://www.4shared.com/file/96591569/e149e50a/Pump_Instructions_doc_.html

If you need help with anything later, PM me.

Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Gold-N-Sand

Post  gold-n-sand Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:55 am

Wow, I just came by this and I'm glad I did..what a great forum! My name is Red and I make the Gold-N-Sand hand dredge and am very interested in responding to any question that you may have regarding the hand pump. I have made these pumps for almost 2 years and have made some changes that seem to relate to some previous comments. The pump now comes with two plastic tension washers inside each leather cup which allowing them to swell tighter against the 2" wall tube. As the cups absorb water a swell, it may be necessary to remove one of these to allow for less friction. I've notices that the kits seem to cause most of the problem because the ABS plastic pipe that must be purchased elsewhere sometimes is inconsistent with what I get here in the States. I am embarrassed that I didn't think of this before but time has a way of slappin' sense to the brain. You can easily make these plastic washers by taking a lid and cutting them out with a 2" hole saw and placing 2 in each cup to start.

Another new design note: When using the pump it is quite easy to pull the plunger completely out of the tube causing some frustration and bad words. Please be patient and try to visualize a hand saw instead of a pump. This technique will create "muscle memory" and you will not fight the plunger anymore. Draw the plunger minimally at first until you are used to the length. Also, I bevel the inside edge of the tube now to make it easier to insert the plunger. Thank you all for your business and hope to continue a good relationship with you all.

gold-n-sand

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty gold sucker/ grey nomad

Post  jkilgannon Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:17 pm

i would like to get a plan for the gold sucker that grey nomad built thank you in advance joe.k

jkilgannon

Registration date : 2009-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:41 am

Hi guys,
I had a few requests lately for the info of how to build your own gold sucker pump. To make it easy on all, here is the link to it.
http://www.4shared.com/get/124743104/896b0085/Pump_Instructions.html

Total costs app: $ 50.00 Aust. and 4-5 hours time in the shed.
The instructions are comprehensive, but if you get into any problems, I am happy to help, just PM me.
The self cleaning check valve system is my own "Inventions", which I am happy to share with all prospectors.
The instructions are FREE, as opposed to other plans (usually US) for similar things on the WWW.
The pump can also be used for other purposes, I also use mine for cleaning out the crap in my fish pond.

Best regards
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  russcoit Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Gday Frank and all Ive personally seen this invention and It is of great design and simplicity just 1 of GrayNomads inventions when I took Frank around to a little local spot he gave me another of his creations an external amp speaker which I have since used and even found a little .3grammer with just yesterday.Keep up the great work Frank Ill catch up with you soon and who knows what we might find >Cheers Dave
russcoit
russcoit
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Hello Dave,
Thank you very much for showing me around and thanks for those kind words. Gold Sucker Pump Icon_smile
I am very happy that you could use the external speaker with success. I am certainly looking forward to
get some serious detecting done. Hopefully, my plans will come to fruition, in which case you will have some
more recruits for the CFA.

Thanks again and best regards
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Yabby Pump mod.

Post  joe Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi All,

I’m an amateur when it comes to prospecting; I’m also new to this forum and enjoyed reading your posts. Interested building or modifying my yabby pump to something of similar concept here.

Has any one of you built this pump I have found on YouTube?

http://www.gbnr.com/videos-mygoldpanning.html

click on the recovery pump “YouTube video”

joe

Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty goldsucker pump 2

Post  gray.nomad Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:05 am

G'day all,
I have uploaded a small digital movie to
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/184992277/b683a7cd/PumpDemo.html

It's called PumpDemo.
What it does: It gives a demo of HOW this pump works, Yeah, I know it's not very good, but better then nothing
and it's free.
I recommend that all who wanted to build this pump have a squizz at the movie file. You will need
Flash Player 8 on your 'puter.
How to download: Click on the link above
click on the "download button" (a new page opens up.) 2 Options
1. You can watch the movie on the web page or
2. You can download the movie by hitting the BIG BLUE button and save it to your 'puter.

Too all,
Have a bloody good New Year and see you up them thar hills. Gold Sucker Pump Icon_biggrin
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 am

Nice one Frank.looks like it would be easy to make. And have a good year too mate Gold Sucker Pump Drunken_smilie Regards Johnny

Last edited by HOBO'S Gold on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:47 am

Thats good Frank, very simple and looks to be quite effective. Now for the list of parts and a set of instructions for assembly Gold Sucker Pump Icon_question

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi all,

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/14242699/6418403/sharing.html?rnd=33
and select "Pump Instructions".

Had the "how to build" instructions posted previously. Just finished the movie to help
others to understand how the system works.
Best regards
Frank.

PS.
The other movies are for different purposes, but have a look if you wish.
Very helpful if you own a caravan.
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks Hobo and have a good new year as well.
HOBO'S Gold wrote:Nice one Frank.looks like it would be easy to make. And have a good year too mate Gold Sucker Pump Drunken_smilie Regards Johnny
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:49 am

Hi all,

I have been asked of where to get the 30mm steel ball from. The answer is: Any Ball Bearing joint should have them or should be able to get them for you, costs about $10.00 and is the most expensive single item for this pump.
See you down them creeks.

Regards
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 am

Hi gang
I use whats called a Henderson pump for sucking up river gravels and they are so simple to make Gold Sucker Pump Icon_arrow Gold Sucker Pump Icon_arrow

WHAT YOU NEED
1 standered tenis ball
1 standered wooden broom handle
Depending on how long you want your sucker (average 3ft) of black plastic drain pipe
1 wood screw about 2.5inches long No8/No10 size
2 large washers about 1inch/1 1/4 inch with No8/No10 whole in the midle
1 screw driver
1 hack saw

CONSTRUCTION

Put the first washer on the screw then screw through the midle of the tenis ball and place on the second washer,
screw this onto the end of the broom handle and tighten up the screw untill the tenis ball is a snug fit inside the drain pipe

And there you go one sucker, Gold Sucker Pump Icon_cheers trim pipe and handle to your comfort

These pumps are good for any depth of water you just cut them to the required lenth/depth.
I've used one in over 6 foot of water, useing same lenth handle just a longer pipe.
You can add atachments to them, angles for those awkward to reach spots, or reduce the end down to 1/2 inch or smaller for sucking out cracks. Gold Sucker Pump Icon_biggrin Gold Sucker Pump Icon_biggrin
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Registration date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 am

P.S
HOW TO USE INSTRUCTIONS Gold Sucker Pump Icon_redface

place in water down to gravel/sand
pull on handle to suck
swing the open end of pipe over a bucket
and push handle back down to empty pipe
quick and easy to use

I put these instrucktions in because on the other posts on this subject you have all sorts of pipes and fittings to use
the thing with this system is there is no pipes or bits to get blocked with stones unless you suck a stone the size of a tenis ball if so and it jams just pull handle all the way out and put it back in again the wrong way around and knock out the jamed stone
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Registration date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazza Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Frank, when I tried to download from your link it simply did not work.
The pump looks great and I would certainly like to make one.
Is it possible for you to send the plans by email to me?
Thank you, Bazza

Bazza

Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty gold sucker plans

Post  dudman1 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:37 am

hi all,

could u please email me the plan for the gold sucker that grey nomad built.

cheers dudman1

dudman1

Registration date : 2010-11-27

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Gray.Nomad's pump plans

Post  AG MAN Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:53 am

Hi there,
Newish to the world of prospecting & was trying to get hold of the plans from Gray.Nomad's gold pump/sucker but it appears that he hasn't logged into this site since July...
Did anyone ever receive a copy of his plans?
If someone does have plans, could you please give me any info about the pump or even email me the plans if it's suitable to my needs.

Much appreciated

Cheers - Marty

AG MAN
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:44 am

AG MAn

send him a private message and he should get it!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  AG MAN Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:52 am

explorer wrote:AG MAn

send him a private message and he should get it!!!

Thanks for that, I did pm him & then looked at his profile & noticed he hasn't logged on since June or July... confused

Will wait for a reply but looking elsewhere for ideas for a pump aswell hey.

Cheers - Marty

*no stress - could have changed email addres or any number of reason's that there's no reply...

Last edited by AG MAN on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add detail...)

AG MAN
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Guys, I PMed him weeks ago & have heard nothing.

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Long shot !!!!!

Post  24kt Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:27 am

gray.nomad wrote:Hi all,
Just pm me.
Total cost app. $50.00.

Frank Smile

Hi gray.nomad , are these plans still available to the general public ? This maybe a long shot as Gray.Nomad has been back on the site for " Last visit: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:11 pm"

cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Gold Sucker Pump Empty Is it me or my PC

Post  24kt Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 am

Hi , Dammmmmmmmmmm none of these links work nor can't find the information as per instructions LOL is it me or my PC

Cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  harryopal Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Good morning all,
It seems 24Kt is operating with half a brain, same as myself. When I try to open that link I get a page that says invalid file download 4share. Went through that process and was told how wonderful it was but then what....? Nothing. Go back to the link and same thing.... or should I do it 40 times like my old lawn mower which I would warn and say, `Okay. of you don't start on the 40th pull then I am dumping you.' It would often start somewhere between about pull 26 and 39.
But thanks to Goldslinger. You should be writing instruction manuals. I can actually understand what you're saying. Recently got my wife a replacement mobile phone and an HD Sony DVD. Each has 100 page or more manuals that I am still grappling with.

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:33 pm

He must have removed the file. here is one that is similar to what gold nomad had I think. It is on youtube and here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSvNCtfHws

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next