Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Completely new to it and throwing in the towel on the rat race to prospect my life away!

+3
goldenhero
markfitz1
goldmatt
7 posters

Go down

Completely new to it and throwing in the towel on the rat race to prospect my life away! Empty Completely new to it and throwing in the towel on the rat race to prospect my life away!

Post  goldmatt Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Have recently purchased a GPX5000 and pro finder with all the digging tools for a serious hunt.  Signed the papers today on a 4WD '99 Mitsubishi Pajero 7 seater on which I am going to yank out all the back seats and turn into a camper.  Went for a 5 hour hunt last Sunday and dug a few holes here's what we found : one was 0.75m deep and was hard dirt which turned out to be a piece of solid iron sheet, two hours digging that alone! another half metre dig was a rusty steel bucket, found a small wire wrapped nail, a shotgun shell base, and a nail near the surface.  Before we knew it time had slipped away and we didn't cover much ground and had to call it a day.  No king nuggets yet but I know I'm going to find a winner sooner or later.  These maps I have are absolutely ridiculous showing how much gold is available in the Victoria region.  I must admit I am a rookie on how to operate the 5000 with my own settings so I copied the settings that JP suggests for fine gold in mineralised areas on the Unwrapping the GPX5000 DVD and used an external speaker.  Using these settings the machine ran so quietly and gave great signals on all the digs, gives no signal whatsoever on any of the numerous types of rock that we came across including when I tested it on giant surface quartz rocks.  Very impressed with how simple to use and even my girlfriend can operate it no worries. Anyone keen on a hunt together in Victoria contact me and we'll share the adventure. Totally addicted to the outdoor living now and not that fussed with city lifestyle anymore. Still lo and behold I am working 4 days now so can prospect the Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and sometimes Mondays every week. Will keep ya posted

Last edited by goldmatt on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needed to finish it better)

goldmatt
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Completely new to it and throwing in the towel on the rat race to prospect my life away! Empty Re: Completely new to it and throwing in the towel on the rat race to prospect my life away!

Post  markfitz1 Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:22 am

Good luck goldmatt, your still young so chase your dream. Hopefully you will soon be digging 7 days a week and working what's left!Very Happy Very Happy. I am in exactly the same boat as you except shortly I will purchase the equipment. Please keep us informed on your progress, regards mark.
Very Happy 

markfitz1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Back to top Go down

Completely new to it and throwing in the towel on the rat race to prospect my life away! Empty Re: Completely new to it and throwing in the towel on the rat race to prospect my life away!

Post  goldenhero Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum guys , good luck on future hunts , hope plenty of Gold comes your way .
cheers Mick

goldenhero
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2012-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Maybe you should get yourself a Donkey and fit it out to carry your mining equipment.
Much cheaper way, ow and grow a beared like the old days like old Mad Jack in the old Grizzly Adams series in America.

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:27 pm

I would not chuck in your job just yet?

It takes time to find gold, experience and knowing were to look and what to listen for does not come easy?
Some take months if not years to find there first bit and most likely you will be getting bits under a gram.

Detecting and prospecting is best approached as a weekend / part time hobby, it has a steep learning curve and many will not make it.

Very few make a profitable income out of it and its getting harder day by day.

Can't say i blame you for wanting to leave the big smoke though.lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Goldmatt
Best of luck on your endeavour hope you get the big one.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:07 pm

shelby23 wrote:Maybe you should get yourself a Donkey and fit it out to carry your mining equipment.
Much cheaper way, ow and grow a beared like the old days like old Mad Jack in the old Grizzly Adams series in America.

lol This is funny

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi Goldmatt and welcome to the site. I think the main suggestion that I can give you is to do at least one major lesson with a reputable detector training group . Someone like Coiltek in Maryborough or Gold Prospecting Australia Bendigo. A day or two with these guys will save you years of head aches, and finding that nugget will come closer to your dream. And Please mate don't forget to fill in your holes. And anytime your up Maryborough way give me a PM.
Good luck and Cheers
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  slippery79 Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 am

I'm ready to do the same if you want to join forces, I have 4x4 and minelab 5000 also and I'm easy going.
slippery79
slippery79
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2013-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:38 pm

good on ya mate, the best thing is to use itas much as ya can

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  markfitz1 Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Hey there goldmatt, How's that fitout on the 4x4 going? Very Happy 

markfitz1
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  markfitz1 Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Gidday Goldmatt, yesterday I purchased my 5000 from coiltek in maryborough. Included with the machine was a full day of training with coiltech's expert, Paul. I am so glad I did the course, paul is so full of info. The day starts with a bit of a sit down at the shop with a lesson on settings and what to look for, then it was out into the bush for the fun part. I found a little 0.7g piece within the first 10 minutes, unfortunately the weather was not good so detecting time was reduced to about an hour. My advice would be to do this course cause of the info they share with you.

markfitz1
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down