Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throwing away gold!

4 posters

Go down

Throwing away gold! Empty Throwing away gold!

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 pm

This post I hope will help new comers to prospecting . There are many many posts on this forum relating to people using detectors ! "Low and Slow and dig every noise " well my post is the equivalent of these posts !

This is a pic of the gold
Throwing away gold! Image_zps42af7708

This gold was paned from the dirt adhering to 2 pieces of timber !100 mm wide x20 mm thick x600 mm long . The dirt was only on one side of each of the timbers aprox 4 mm thick .

I see so many ppl digging up rocks and wood from where they are supposedly getting good gold ! Why do they trow these things aside without washing them ????? Sure you can get a bit wet from the spray ,not nice on a winters day, buy I ask you to look at this photo above and say " ahh it doesn't matter ! It's only a few specks ! "
As I said this post is aimed at new prospectors and I in no way want to tell my peers how to suck eggs!
But just between you and me its good to revisit the things we do without thinking and just readjust any bad habits we have developed over time . I love learning every time I go out prospecting and sometimes it's the so called dumb question from a newcomer that sits me on my tail and think!
My hope is that one person reads this and puts it away in the memory bank and uses it to recover that little bit extra while they are out there !!!! Very Happy

A close up of that gold
Throwing away gold! Image_zps390b1857

Back to top Go down

Throwing away gold! Empty low and slow

Post  rossco Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:51 pm

Good stuff Ark! these are the little things that tyro's need to know. You need to carry,'as I say to newbies i meet', a little bag of tricks with you when your on the goldfields. Its amazing how many tricks you can fit in the bag and you get them from people like your self. its also amazing how much gold can be encrusted around the outside of a rock the size of your fist, or adhereing to the surface of the bed rock of the whole you just dug but did'nt scour out clean. Thats why you need to carry a small brush and scraper with you as well.I'm sure you do Ark, but the newbie might not when there is gold adhereing to stuff that just needs brushing into the pan.. cheers Rossco
rossco
rossco
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2011-07-27

Back to top Go down

Throwing away gold! Empty Re: Throwing away gold!

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Well said rossco! When I was bed rocking gold ,dry, many yrs ago I read about the Chinese gold miners back in the 1800s used to move into the gullys abandoned by the Europeans and then they would get down on their knees with a little whisk broom and they would meticusley sweep all the cracks and dust into a small pan . I followed their example and can say I got some pretty easy gold ! Grams of it every year !
I do agree that there are tricks you pick up as you go and I say to newbies that " they can't absorb all those tricks all at once " so these things have to be trickle fed to them a little at a time ! Hence my often comment" there are NO shortcuts in learning the art of prospecting . cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Yes indeed, i have to agree with all that has been said. That is one reason i am so against dry sieving material and then washing the sieved material only. James

Back to top Go down

Post  Chimpy Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:17 pm

G'day
I wash everything I can, figuring if I put the effort into digging it I'm not throwing aside any of the goodness. A mate who uses a bigger set up has one of those wooden boot brushes mounted on the inside of his hopper, just under the spray bars. Makes cleaning bigger rocks a dream

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 pm

Agree, agree totally agree cheers
Caught up with a fellow prospector some months ago now, he was scoring some pretty nice gold from an old gravel layer.
The gold wasn't to any extent in the smaller gravels, the gold was adhering to the larger stones sort of egg size stones.
Point being, if the egg sized stone weren't thoroughly washed then you were throwing away gold, not a little bit either!

Scares the cr@p out of me watching the guys with highbankers that have grizzly type classifiers set at steep angles where the rocks just skid
out the rear of the hopper affraid

Good post Ark Cool
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Throwing away gold! Empty exactly right

Post  rossco Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 pm

your right on the money there someday, thats what Ive seen a lot but i forgot to say..hehe damn alzheimers,its the attention to detail that can make a BIG DIFFERENCE TO THE CLEAN UP TALLY!Great posts guys..cheers Rossco.
rossco
rossco
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2011-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Someday I love to see those highbankers! Most made in America for their gravel rivers !!! Watch out here with our clays ! Lol ! I have had to level out lots of piles and fill their holes after they have gone back to Melbourne ! Easiest gold ya ever got!!! cheers lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Someday mate ya spot on the money there. I have also done the same as Ark. Easiest gold ya ever got!!! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:29 pm

What do you use when there is no water except carry in supply that's difficult to replace ?

Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Nope find another spot with water lol!

It would have to be very very rich for me to truck water in ! Although I have done it once Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:24 pm

There are places that have good gold because of no water , those areas I prefer cheers
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:08 am

hi Jack, hope your Easter was a good one mate. This line of post you may find interesting it is about soak hole pumping. When I am confronted with a dry creek i can usually find water by digging down on the inside of a bend where a large water hole appeared to have been. cheers James

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t3706-recycling-sluices

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:25 am

Getting closer is she Jack Wink Laughing

Back to the grizzly style hoppers and throwing gold layden rocks out the back, as Ark said, imagine running clay!
Can only imagine the amount of gold the clay would pick up on the way down the sluice,
yet for some reason people seem to think the quicker you can run material, the more gold you'll score by the end of the day Laughing Laughing Laughing
Like the other guys here said. We don't mind your methods at all Cool Laughing

Waterless ground ay, new idea, how bout a thunderstorm in a bucket Razz
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Hello James ,
Easter weather has been nice , hope you had a good one also .
Thanks for the link ' some interesting information there ! Your correct about getting water in some dry creeks , always amazed me how deep the Roos could dig Very Happy
You may get a PM soon for an opinion Wink

Someday tongue
Yes a bit closer .
Stuff all those known methods , none of them can do what’s needed , concentrate unclassified material wet or dry very quickly by muscle power only with not much effort .
Hint ~ Potential energy to kinetic then back again over & over again silent

Have Fun
Jack.
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Jack i had a ball over Easter indeed i did. I will be away for a bit from next Monday now Easter is over i can get back into it. cheers mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 am

Great to hear you had a fun time James , those of you that just use a detector & would like to make a profit after all the costs involved in your trips should consider other methods Wink

Jack.
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:25 am

True mate after all every thing we use are only tools to help us get the gold ....... the more tools we have the better our chances. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 am

Whiskers wrote: the more tools we have the better our chances. cheers
Q25 Q28 Q25
James mate, not sure which way to take that one Q35 Q29
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:07 am

someday wrote:
Whiskers wrote: the more tools we have the better our chances. cheers
Q25 Q28 Q25
James mate, not sure which way to take that one Q35 Q29

Only because someday wrote it ! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Embarassed S/D Embarassed Q25 Q25 Q25

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah sorry about that James.
tickled me funny bone it did Laughing Laughing
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:45 pm

lol! Mine two mate lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm

clown 'S. lol!

Back to top Go down