Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

...so when is an area flogged to death???????

+6
silwane
Digginerup
Auger
kon61
cabletie
Redfin
10 posters

Go down

...so when is an area flogged to death??????? Empty ...so when is an area flogged to death???????

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:31 am

It amuses me to hear some say that certain areas have been flogged to death over the years.. and its useless trying detecting.... I live on the South Coast of NSW and just north/west of here there is an area that I have been going to for the past twenty years...actually my father found it and extracted gold in the good old fashion way years earlier.

I got interested in detectors with the SD2200 and pulled out about 11 ounces of gold from this little area in the late 90's. I believed the area had been exhausted and shifted my focus to other areas. When the GP3000 came out I returned to the area and extracted a further 2 1/2 ounces from this same flogged out area. The GPX4000 came out with its smooth timings and over the last couple of years I have pulled out another just on 5 ounces from this same flogged out area. I now have the GPX5000 and to date a further ounce and a half has given up its resting place to the machine in this same flogged out area. Am going back up on the weekend for a few days to work this same flogged out area again.

What surprises me is that the gold I am getting now is the same size as the gold I got with the SD2200... So I ask this question...when is an area really flogged out or is it ever.

Back to top Go down

...so when is an area flogged to death??????? Empty Re: ...so when is an area flogged to death???????

Post  Redfin Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 am

I regard ALL ground as virgin ground unless I have been over it myself.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

...so when is an area flogged to death??????? Empty Re: ...so when is an area flogged to death???????

Post  cabletie Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 am

Redfin wrote:I regard ALL ground as virgin ground unless I have been over it myself.
Agreed
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2012-08-12

https://youtu.be/s_5Td2wPusA

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm

I agree with Redfin and Cabletie on this one.No area,I consider flogged to death util flogged by ones self. The only thing exhausted or flogged to death in this game,are the limitations of one's knowledge and detectors. Laughing What a Face

Cheers Kon. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Auger Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Ray...

I have no personal experience of older Minelab PI machines and find it hard to glean "quantitative" data about their performance. Your description comes about as close as I could wish. In addition, it's interesting to hear:
"... the gold I am getting now is the same size as the gold I got with the SD2200 ..."

I live in Central Vic and a lot of "experts" from Vic and elsewhere will say that it is "flogged out", which is fine by me because that may translate into less competition etc. Cool

Thanks for that - Phil

Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:27 pm

When is it flogged out? when you bloody well say so and not before, much gold has been found on "flogged ground" I recently spent a couple of days with a group of people on some well known ground around Georgetown Nth Qld, there was a couple along with us new to the game in all respects and waving a borrowed 5000 around with the view to buying one, nice folks but after a maximum of 10 hrs spent over two days they declared that the place was barren (all 50 square Kms of it) Rolling Eyes and they would not return, with that kind of attitude I wish them good luck however I suspect detecting is not for them.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Auger...
Having spent 18 months living in Dunolly I used to hear that it was flogged out as well.... but you can still pull the odd grammer or two out of the ground there... I found a small patch with the GPX4K in an area that was supposedly flogged to death at Tarnagulla only late 2011. There are people still using their SD machines and wouldn't trade them in...

I put this post up as in the past few weeks I have heard people talk about areas being 'flogged to death' around the traps here in NSW on a number of times... and it started me thinking. Is an area really flogged to death. Like others who have commented on this thread I also believe an area is never flogged to death... as you only have to have a different detector/coil/approach angle/swing speed/setting and that can make a piece of gold previously invisible suddenly visible to the detector.

I believe what has made the gold visible to me here in NSW is as the machines are becoming quieter it may be revealing gold that perhaps has been laying perpendicular or at an angle to be finally seen. The noise of the older detectors ie my SD2200 ... GP3K and maybe my GPX4K has masked those fainter signals.. and now my GPX5K is seeing through the noise...I would be interested to hear what others think.

Last edited by raymondj on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:20 pm

No such thing as flogged to death ground.
If you are working so called done to death ground then pay very close attention to the very feeble mellow whispers. Nobody gets it all, you only have to be off by 1/2 an inch and you can miss a good piece and you will be suprised at how large some of those missed bits can be.

It doesn't matter how well you think you have cleaned out a patch. You go back a month later and pull out some more or you get a different detector and do it all again and still find some more. It's almost like the stuff grows while you are away Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Raymondj,here's my opinion."NEVER". People dig some big deep non gold targets in quiet ground,find no gold and say its wiped out,flogged to death or free from gold.How wrong they are.Gold is not as conductive as iron or steel to a pulse detector,nor does it have the same halo effects surounding the Iron.I'v found gold in places of such high mineralization,that ,solid whole 5 grammers are lost at 8 inches depth,not alone a foot.I know this is hard to believe but,the better the technology made to tackle the gold side in mineralized ground,the better.A mear 20% overall jump in better technology performance,above what we've got now,will open up old so called flogged goldfields to gold once more.

Cheers Kon. cheers What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Ray there is no such thng as "flogger to death ground" just ground that has been detectored over the years. No ground has had every square inch of ground gone over by a coil. You can miss a target by inchesand no even know it.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm

I was at Talbot today with my GP3000 and 11'DD at a spot that has been done over and over and over, detector holes everywhere and in amongst them all I managed a 0.3 and 0.4 just under the ground- Just goes to show..

Back to top Go down

Post  silwane Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi,

I heard the best analogy from a guy Brian I met up at Tibooburra about two years ago, who is a mate of Gully hunters I believe. He said its like getting an A4 piece of paper and getting a pen and scribble all over it and see how many white areas there still are showing. How much time and drawing it would take to fill in every bit of paper.. There's just no way every bit of ground gets covered, and if it does how many times can a signal be missed due to what ever factors come into consideration on that particular day.

Cheers
Paul
silwane
silwane
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Hmm man of great wisdom. 100% spot on Paul. cheers What a Face

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Flogged ground exists only in the eyes of the egotistical.

They say God made man in his image, yet he left out the gene that separates him from us....Perfection.

Minelab followed this trait and left from their detectors the same gene.

Once you flog the ground and call it quits..... your imperfections will be left for others to find.

Don't you just love the way the cookie crumbles.? lol!

Last edited by Narrawa on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spello's)
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm

one man's flogged area is another man's/woman's chance.
There are far too many variables in detecting and with it comes
a great variety of 'another' chance to find what others left
behind. Not that this is the ground I usually look for, but nice
to fall back on, when the pickings get leaner...
bedrock

Last edited by bedrock on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Narrawa wrote:Flogged ground exists only in the eyes of the egotistical.

They say God made man in his image, yet he left out the gene that septettes him from us....Perfection.

Minelab followed this trait and left from their detectors the same gene.

Once you flog the ground and call it quits..... your imperfections will be left for others to find.

Don't you just love the way the cookie crumbles.? lol!

Yeah! especially if i get some crumbs Wink

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:44 am

silwane wrote:Hi,

I heard the best analogy from a guy Brian I met up at Tibooburra about two years ago, who is a mate of Gully hunters I believe. He said its like getting an A4 piece of paper and getting a pen and scribble all over it and see how many white areas there still are showing. How much time and drawing it would take to fill in every bit of paper.. There's just no way every bit of ground gets covered, and if it does how many times can a signal be missed due to what ever factors come into consideration on that particular day.

Cheers
Paul

Kon61 wrote:

Hmm man of great wisdom. 100% spot on Paul.

Cheers Kon.

I should be seeing Brian this weekend. I'll pass on your regards silwane and your thoughts of his wisdom Kon.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 am

Gday raymond,
Some great gold you have recovered on your dads old patch.
I huess some of us use the saying flogged to death when we constantly return to the same spots and our way of thinking and search techniques get stale. Thats when thinking outside the square plays its part.
I think hot ground can never be totally flogged,where as quiet ground like pipeclay,has its limits without removing ground with machinery. Big gold may still be detectable with big coils,but those small bits deep in the wash layers are out of reach of todays technologies.
Other variables come into play as well,such as ground moisture content and EMI,either assisting or preventing us from hearing those faint threshold changes.
I like nothing better than to have a productive patch well cleaned of all the junk,so I can concentrate on those faint sounds or just dig a stack of ground noises Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41 am

Gus wrote:Gday raymond,
Some great gold you have recovered on your dads old patch.
I huess some of us use the saying flogged to death when we constantly return to the same spots and our way of thinking and search techniques get stale. Thats when thinking outside the square plays its part.
I think hot ground can never be totally flogged,where as quiet ground like pipeclay,has its limits without removing ground with machinery. Big gold may still be detectable with big coils,but those small bits deep in the wash layers are out of reach of todays technologies.
Other variables come into play as well,such as ground moisture content and EMI,either assisting or preventing us from hearing those faint threshold changes.
I like nothing better than to have a productive patch well cleaned of all the junk,so I can concentrate on those faint sounds or just dig a stack of ground noises Wink

Your right Gus, these three things alone mean no one gets it all. Cheers Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  silwane Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi Costasdee,

Thanks for that..
He is a character and a half.
We went for a swing together over the back of the inlier from Nuggety creek,
We had some fun getting back to the car. Swinging coils up in the air from one ridge to the next like we were squatting flies. Just to stop him from walking his way back into town instead of back over the hill to the cars.
Not a place to get lost in out there.
Regards
Paul
silwane
silwane
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am

The ONLY time I consider it flogged is when I have removed all of the material and processed it all the way to bead rock.
Even then there could still be a hard rock deposit hidden under your feet.
I have found many many oz's in supposedly flogged out ground, a lot of times more than the one who thought it was flogged out.

Thars gold in tham thar flogged grounds.......AAARRRRHHHH pirat

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 am

pirat Arrrrgggghhh!!! surely there be!!! for you n me!, gold!! as far as the eye can see, Arrrggggggghhhh!!!!

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:25 am

Kon61 and I did this gully 3 times with 3 different coils each. We considered the gully flogged. Well we left a 28.2 gr piece there. How do I know? Well we went back a fourth time a few months later, and I found it! Very Happy I put it in "Members Finds" yesterday.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down