Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online

+6
OldMogo
Rustydog
Jack outwest
snowygold
Aussiedetecting
Grumpybunz
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online - Page 2 Empty Re: Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online

Post  someday Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Congrats on making the effort to build your own gizmo and not take the easy way out cheers 

Looken forward to the vids. Cool 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online - Page 2 Empty Re: Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online

Post  Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 pm

G.B sorry I missed seeing your earlier post. Mate it is good that you are making your own hey if it don’t work just try a different combo. You will have a ball playing around best of luck. Cheers James

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:12 pm

someday wrote:Congrats on making the effort to build your own gizmo and not take the easy way out cheers 

Looken forward to the vids. Cool 

Cheers lads
Yeh.... after the little ribbing i was given for taking the easy road i had a small brain fart:idea: Idea ....Rolling Eyes bounce What a Face What a Face 
I found an old washing machine and had just finished watching utube about those wash plant style Suspect Suspect  ones that are around...
Low and behold the issue of bending went out the door as did welding....Bloody rivets will do for this one.cheers 
Old Frankenstein aint pretty but he is  built solid...lol! lol! 
Now i just need to get a couple of photos up for yas.....
Will take some vid this weekend of it running and tell me what u think....Question Question 
If i am correct its 1 inch drop per foot of length.....
Am gong to use a small bit of rubber to keep the water flow smooth! There is so much info on here i find i end up chasing my tail so a bit of trial and error me thinks!! and a few beers around the camp fire!!

Cheers all!Cool 
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2013-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Grumpybunz wrote:

Cheers lads
Yeh....Bloody rivets will do for this one. You're not spose to feel for burrs Laughing 
and a few beers around the camp fire!! I do like the sound of this activity Cool 

Cheers all!Cool 

Grumpy, theirs only 2 styles of sluices

One's that don't work well.
One's that do work well.

and yeah the 1 inch per foot is a good starting place.
I'm still pretty green to this highbanking thingy, and it was a tad frustrating trying to get the right flow of material Shocked  affraid 
More beer fixed it in the end, so you're clearly on the right track cheers 

someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:48 pm

No need to worry about the look as long as the unit is strong and can handle all you can throw at it. When you take some photos do so at a reasonable close distance and we can have a look an guide you in the right direction if need be. But mate as of next week I will be off line for a bit. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:31 pm

[quote="Whiskers"] No need to worry about the look as long as the unit is strong and can handle all you can throw at it.

Kinda took a page from others and camo painted....No plants harmed in this exercise..LOL:lol!: 

Should work as the bottom is a keenes 52a and my mad creation for a wash top/hopper.
Will need to be super strong up here... Just need to sort out this uploading bizzo.. not very computer savvy...clown 
Using a golf cart and an old chair in the mix as well!! gotta love reusing things to be thrown out!!Very Happy Very Happy
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 am

G.B I reckon it will work just fine play around with the water volume {rule of thumb} you need the water to be able to clear the largest stone that passes through you top hopper into the bottom sluice. Always keep in mind the type of gold your are working will govern how much angle your unit will require. Fine gold low and slow chunky gold hard and fast.

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Whiskers & Someday.....
Here is a pic of the beast...lol!

Hope this helps a little....
Am just waiting on some ribbed matting for the approx 1foot of slick plate at the top of the bottom box!
10ml drill holes for the punch plate....
25ml piping that will have a ball valve and and 2 inch trash pump hooked up..2.5ml times 2 rows per bar section..

All comments welcome before i lock it all down... Am creating so parts can be changed as time goes on and lessons get learnt!!
Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online - Page 2 <a href=Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online - Page 2 DSC01157_zpsca149734" />

Finally worked it out!!Smile Laughing lol!
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 am

wow epic machine!
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:44 am

Forget the rib mat ! Leave the slick plate clear ! It's there for a purpose !!!!!!

You may find lifting wash that height all day is a bummer ! Lower is a goer!
The 2 inch will have plenty of water in fact if a 11/2 inch x2.5 hp comes your way grab it!! Sell the big pump ! With the proceeds of that sale buy more lay flat x11/2 " you can never have too much !!! Also use polly cam locks they are great for joining the hose !

Last edited by Ark on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding more info)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 am

If it was me i would lift the top hopper so the bottom out shoot is a little over an inch from the top of the sluice. If possible move the top hopper back a tad or two give the wash room to enter the sluice at this point. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am

[quote="Ark"]Forget the rib mat ! Leave the slick plate clear ! It's there for a purpose !!!!!!

You may find lifting wash that height all day is a bummer ! Lower is a goer!

Yeh... Thats just my little travel buggy that gets hooked up behind the quad....Just gotta work out a suspension set up..LOL
Gives me a seat to sit on and room for the all important Esky!!

Cheers for the advice Ark & Whiskers....
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:59 am

You'll do ok mate just take your time and play with the unit until you get to know it and what it can do. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Whiskers... What if i say have a slight u shape cut at the bottom as a drop out from the top... A lazy 2 inches lets say!!
And the outlet is only about 1 1/2 inches from the top lip....
The reason he is held together at the back like that is so i can attach a section to divert stones sideways... A small rock shoot!! (more photos to come when built)
So as not too build up behind...Just too save a bit of shoveling later

Plus i have a little 2 grammer to test out with some soil....

Cheers

Last edited by Grumpybunz on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Yep that should work as long as the wash has plenty of room to enter the bottom sluice. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 pm

one from behind

[img(448px,336px)]Where to buy a highbanker/power sluice in Aust online - Page 2 DSC01158_zpsb3cdf661[/img]

Lots of wash area and when she drops into the bottom of the hopper she has a lazy 2 inch wide opening...

Cheers all!cheers cheers 
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Mate another question what are your plans in regards to cleaning out the top hopper. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm

It's gonna be a funny shaped shovel cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Whiskers wrote:Mate another question what are your plans in regards to cleaning out the top hopper. cheers

That whole back under the thin green strip is open so it rolls right off...
Tried it out with 2 garden hoses and some dirt from out of a river bed yesterday and she worked a treat..
Cant wait to get some real water flow happening....
I saw a guy on utube who made his recirc with a 2inch hooked up but a big bucket of water though at the front....
Would mean i would have to carry 50 gallons for the highbanker(plus extra for spillage) and 4 to 5 for myself..
I need to try too make as self reliant as possible....
Not a lot of water until the rainy season! Plus i am only looking to wash say max 50 buckets per day.... Not as young as i used to be.

Ark... will be your usual v bottom for getting into the hard pack after busting it up!! Red Earth is like rock till it gets wet!!

Cheers guys!!cheers
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:49 am

That sounds cool should work ok. Have a look at Nightjars recirc unit and the way he has it set up, it is the best system i have seen and simple.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpybunz Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:19 am

Taking frankenstein out for a run this weekend....
Utube vids to come so you can comment on angles etc....
Grumpybunz
Grumpybunz
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2