Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What can i do with this nugget- acid?

4 posters

Go down

What can i do with this nugget- acid? Empty What can i do with this nugget- acid?

Post  sir-dig-alot Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Hey gold explorers,

Ive been detecting a few times now around NSW and came across this speciman
its very heavy and has veins all over i have been doing reaserch about acids
crushing etc but unsure witch way to go - i dont want to stuff it up considering im only new at prospecting
any pointers will be much apreciated

[img]What can i do with this nugget- acid? P1050465[/img]

sir-dig-alot
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

What can i do with this nugget- acid? Empty Re: What can i do with this nugget- acid?

Post  Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

G'day mate and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your terrific find.
Being a rock of that size I would crush it and then pan it off and melt all that down.
Good luck,
Uncle Bob.

Back to top Go down

What can i do with this nugget- acid? Empty Re: What can i do with this nugget- acid?

Post  sir-dig-alot Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Cheers Uncle bob - hey i have one of them,

can acids dissolve rock to leave a nice shape to it .
That you are aware of? Its VERY heavy and i am reluctant on hammering it beyond recognition might be better to leave as a sample, would you crush? or be happier as is

sir-dig-alot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Do a search of the forum, I think started by Gus?
the heat shock treatment will fix it for ya!
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 pm

At the end of the day, it's your decision on what you want to do with it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Digalot, Smile are you sure it's gold? not just pyrite?

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  sir-dig-alot Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm

well its solid and squashes doesnt chip or flake only time & some effort will tell as far as i know pirate doesnt sound on detectors im hunting for some direction- ill keep posting

sir-dig-alot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sir-dig-alot Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 pm

calaverite?

sir-dig-alot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sir-dig-alot Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 pm

now im getting newbie nervs,
air weight = 1044 g
water= 793 g

if i have followed the formula correct this = 468 g it doesnt seem right could someone experianced assist?
starting shock treatment tonight hope its not calaverite and melts!

sir-dig-alot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Good luck!!!
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm

G'day sir-dig-alot

Well done on the specie yu have there, the specific gravity calculations may not be real accurate on this one because it looks to have a fair amount of black rock (possibly ironstone) which will through out the standard calculations. It needs to be totally in Quartz for the SG to work out close.

There are other formulas where you can change the numbers to siut the host rock and maybe get closer accuracy.

There is really only Hydrofluoric Acid (HF) that would eat that rock away and it's really deadly stuff not to be messed with unless you really know what your doing. Even after using this stuff on some species I still end up crushing them as not all end up nice looking nuggets and some just completely fall apart and you end up with a lot of small gold in the bottom of the dish which needs to be collected and melted into a button.

So unless you are really sure it is going to look spectacular after and acid treatment my answer would be to smash it up in the first place, pick out the bigger bits and keep running the remainder through a strainer until it is all powdered up and collecting the bits you can pick out along the way. Then pan of the remainder, with a bit of added surfactant to stop the fine stuff from floating. then melt the whole lot back together in a button after crushing and melting.

Example of an 80 gram gold button after crushing and melting
What can i do with this nugget- acid? 80oddgrambutton1
What can i do with this nugget- acid? 80oddgrambutton2

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  tezz Thu May 30, 2013 6:52 pm

I noticed you are from Urunga, if you found that specimen around Taylors Arm, Dorrigo, Hill Grove, or Nambucca areas the dark grey mineral is most probably Stibnite (antimony sulphide) and the yellow mineral is obviously pyrite, as the specimen hasn't oxidized it has come from a mine,
Other possibilities of the grey material are arsenopyrite, galena, sphalerite or argentite.
It could have micro gold in the minerals, crush some up then use Nitric Acid then pan whats left, no acid will dissolve pyrite it has to be baked untill its turns to iron oxide.
If you are not familiar with sulphide minerals Google them.
cheers
Tezz
tezz
tezz
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down