Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyres and weight distribution hitch

+4
Nightjar
freshwater
ski29214
philip.j.thompson
8 posters

Go down

Tyres and weight distribution hitch Empty Tyres and weight distribution hitch

Post  philip.j.thompson Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Just about to throw some cooper AT3's on the pathfinder and looking into weight distribution hitch to suite DO35 Hitchmaster offroad coupling. Any thoughts?
ta Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Tyres and weight distribution hitch Empty Re: Tyres and weight distribution hitch

Post  ski29214 Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:21 pm

There are many factors for you to consider:

What are the weights of your van - fully loaded and the tow ball weight? (You will need these when talking with WDH suppliers in order to identify correct model - if appropriate in your case.

What recomendation(s) does the manufacturer of the towing hitch make in regard to theuse of a WDH etc?

Finally and most important, what make of vehicle do you have. Some manufacturers will not recomend or allow the use of WDH (Weight Distribution Hitches) owing to the possibility of damage to the chassis etc. Some chassis have known to be fractured owing to the huge forces imposed under certain circumstances.

I suggest that you contact your vehicle manufacturer and then someone like Hayman Reese Australia: http://www.haymanreese.com.au/ for professional advice.

ski29214
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Tyres and weight distribution hitch Empty Appreciated

Post  philip.j.thompson Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Am following this up , the guy building the van is getting back to me on any practicalites, vehicle is a 2011 Nissan ST pathfinder rated at 3000, van rate tare is 2480 from memory; Van is JB scorpion full offroader - I hope. I am not sure a weight distribution hitch will work or be necessary, Just trying to find out, This is like the mysteries of Tengraph to me.
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Tyres and weight distribution hitch Empty Re: Tyres and weight distribution hitch

Post  freshwater Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:24 pm

van rate tare is 2480 from memory
if thats tare you only have 500kgs to play with Shocked . Once water tanks are filled gas bottle filled food on board clothes etc etc youl be over the 3T easy!!.
If i can ask is this tare weight based on everything added IE : batteries, gas bottles, tanks full, etc as most van builders alway give Tare as a almost bare bones weight.
I personnaly think you need to ask some very specific questions regarding correct weights especially the Tare and most important towball down weight fully loaded.
If im correct a Pathfinder will not be a good choice as a tow vehicle is this instance, only a car rated with a 3500Kgs (diesel as well) towing cap will do in my honest opinion and i havent even started on the tow ball down weight especially if your considering a weight distribution setup.
Its not ment to sound harsh but you need to know this stuff it is very important, and get it in writing not verbal.
Because if you go over ratings (towball,GVM) there will be no insurance if something goes pear shaped,just something to be aware of.
Good luck
John
freshwater
freshwater
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  philip.j.thompson Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm

I will follow that up mate, thanks for your time regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  philip.j.thompson Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi again full details are TARE 2040 , Agg 2500kg (so total allowed load) ballweight is 145kg. Vehicle is Diesel ST rated at 3000Kg tow, my local Nissan dealer says should be okay to tow. Had the tow bar checked out two weeks ago and he said its the correct type. I guess factor in 2 water tanks at 95 ltres each is 190 litres water is 190 kg, 2 gas bottles 9kg each is additional 18kg. So that soaks up 208kg leaving me with 292 kg for other stuff. Again appreciate any feedback
regards Phil.

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  freshwater Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 am

Thats a lot better, as for water etc youl be suprised how quickly you will take up that weight.

One thing gas bottle weights are 4.5Kg botlle= 9.5Kgs full , 9Kg = 17.5Kg full. 30 pack of cans weights 10-11 Kgs.

If i could recommend something it may be in your best interest to have the van weight checked at a weigh bridge when fully loaded for peace of mind, costs around $30 there abouts.

Regards

John
freshwater
freshwater
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  philip.j.thompson Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Will do,really appreciate the feedback as we are novices in regard to Vans and this will be our first travelling/prospecting trip to WA. I have got to the point were I can produce and print graticular block off tengraph, just have to get it in the right place now.
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Phil,
Don't travel with your water tanks full, just allow enough for daily needs between stops.
I think I read you are heading for Leonora, just South of the town there is a tourist bay with a tap for filling tanks. Just make sure you have a length of potable water hose and tap connection.
We always use an inline filter when filling tanks while on the road in the goldfields. From home we travel with the front tank only about 1/4 full.
As already mentioned your 2 X 9kg gas cylinders actually weigh approx 36kg.
Be sure to load your caravan so it is tow hitch heavy, many make the mistake of loading the back of the van to take weight off the hitch however this can make towing very unstable.

Safe travels
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Tyres and weight distribution hitch Empty will do

Post  philip.j.thompson Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm

purchased inline filter for hose last night. Appreciate any feedback
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:54 pm

PM sent to you.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 pm

For your water hose, make sure you have a food grade hose. A garden hose will taint your water.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  sandy2010 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi PJ,
Two suggestions:
1) Have a word with your local caravan club members.....they have done the hard yards and will know ALL the answers to your questions.
2) Don't drink the Leonora water unless circumstances have changed.......there was a warning issued last year....and a definite no-no for pregnant women.....check with local authorities before you fill up (anywhere).

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  sandy2010 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Cams 4500 wrote:For your water hose, make sure you have a food grade hose. A garden hose will taint your water.

Cams.....I went to the local caravan yard to buy a new water tank for the 'van and a food grade hose.....paid top dollar(as you do in these caravan places) expecting top quality.....DUH!.......the water from the tank still stinks of plastic after two years (I've tried evrything to get rid of the smell)so I only use the water for washing up......it's just Chinese crap plastic.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm

G'day Sandy2010 you are right about that we also only use our tank water as washing only as you say the water always stinks. We always buy our drinking water.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Phil,

Unless you're taking two daughters who stand under a hot shower for an hour each twice per day, I don't reckon you'll need 2x9kg gas bottles ; a 9 kg'er lasts a loooong time !
It'd only be a saving of 18kg or so, but it all adds up,

Phil (battling with GVM with a slide-on) Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stealth914 Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 pm

philip.j.thompson wrote:Hi again full details are TARE 2040 , Agg 2500kg (so total allowed load) ballweight is 145kg. Vehicle is Diesel ST rated at 3000Kg tow, my local Nissan dealer says should be okay to tow. Had the tow bar checked out two weeks ago and he said its the correct type. I guess factor in 2 water tanks at 95 ltres each is 190 litres water is 190 kg, 2 gas bottles 9kg each is additional 18kg. So that soaks up 208kg leaving me with 292 kg for other stuff. Again appreciate any feedback
regards Phil.

Hey Phil on a word of caution check how big your rear shocks are in the Pathfinder as my mate & I were driving the latest Navara STX only 1800km's on clock took it up to QLD bout 300km trip to pick up a boat that only weighed 1100kg wet & all the way home it pushed us around like a ragdoll. In the first couple of 60k/hr corners the boat nearly pushed us off the road. It is also rated 3000kg so anyway the shockies looked like pencils so we went & fitted some aftermarket ol man emus & same boat with same car tows like a dream.
Had lots of other nissan owners tell me same sort of problem whilst towing & same result nissan shocks are crap.
unless you are driving like miss daisey with no trailer all the time.

Just a thought for your safety thats all big van with light tow vehicle & also try & get both vehicle & van sitting level when loaded ready to go don't tow if back of car is too high or too low or you may get the wobbles & make it more stressful to drive.

All the best & may your travels be safe & rewarding
Cheers Tony

Stealth914
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2013-05-09

Back to top Go down