Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuggets and patches

+2
Mechanic
goldquest
6 posters

Go down

Nuggets and patches Empty Nuggets and patches

Post  goldquest Sat May 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi guys, how many nugget in the same area you have to find to be consider it as a patch ? and I found the first 4.6 grams, the second 1.7 and the other 5 all subgrammer, all in 5 square meters with 12 "elliptical or NFA 14" NF elliptical, do you think there might be something bigger or deeper? should I try with a bigger coil? 16" NF round mono?
Any advice will be welcome and appreciate. Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Nuggets and patches Empty Re: Nuggets and patches

Post  Mechanic Sat May 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Goldquest,

Why not try with a bigger coil. How deep were the nuggets you found?

The smaller coil will not necessarily get bigger ones at depth.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sat May 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi goldquest, In my mind i would consider say 15 nuggets in small area tallying less then an ounce as a run.

More then 20 nuggets in a small area tallying over 2 ounces would be a patch.

Bending down to check a dug signal and noticing a 1 ounce and 2 ounce nugget laying on the surface nearby and then walking around specking nuggets and detecting there for a day for 60 ounces is detecting heaven.

But thats just my take.

Tributer

PS. If the ground suits goldquest, dig away the top six inches over a couple square metres in the centre of the area and see if you get any signals.

Last edited by Tributer on Sat May 21, 2011 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sat May 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Mechanic wrote:Hi Goldquest,

Why not try with a bigger coil. How deep were the nuggets you found?

The smaller coil will not necessarily get bigger ones at depth.

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick, The 4.6 gr was propably 30/40 cm. the other 15/25 cm. Smile
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Tributer, I don't spose you have the coordinates for that patch of heaven, I'll come runen. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sat May 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Tributer wrote:Hi goldquest, In my mind i would consider say 15 nuggets in small area tallying less then an ounce as a run.

More then 20 nuggets in a small area tallying over 2 ounces would be a patch.

Bending down to check a dug signal and noticing a 1 ounce and 2 ounce nugget laying on the surface nearby and then walking around specking nuggets and detecting there for a day for 60 ounces is detecting heaven.

But thats just my take.

Tributer

PS. If the ground suits goldquest, dig away the top six inches over a couple square metres in the centre of the area and see if you get any signals.

Do I have to use a small coil or a bigger one?
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sat May 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Re your question goldquest. You have used a 12 and 14. I would suggest that you rake the ground and try an 8 round mono and then a 18-24 inch round mono, gridding the area of the run and extend your gridding to many more metres in all directions. If the groundnoise or EMI is bad in the area try detecting it at night after 9pm when EM disappears and groundnoise is lower if possible.

Also as mentioned try digging away 6 inches from the core area and detect that. Using all the coil sizes mentioned will be the only way you can sleep easy and not worry/have to think about going back to the spot...until the GPX 5500 comes out with extra fine gold settings and better depth!

Best of luck.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 6:56 am

Gday Goldquest

I would be working out and away from the spot where you got the pieces, as you have to remember that the gold has come from somewhere, if they are worn and appear to have travelled then you need to be looking at the ground and try to imagine from which direction they might have come from, sometimes there may be more than one little run and there could be other pockets in the vicinity.

If the pieces are coarse and spiky then they have come from nearby so you may have to do some sampling of the soil, but either way I would also be getting a bigger coil on and giving it a thorough going over, working up and down from that spot and then away out to the sides, when you pick up other pieces then you should mark the spot so that you can start to see a pattern emerge, this will give you a better idea of the direction of the source.

You never know what can still be laying about the place, and the chances of getting a lot more gold is very good so I would advise that you dont leave that spot until you are satisfied you have found it all, and even then I would re visit it when the weather conditions change, or you have a new detector or coil to try out.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 Sun May 22, 2011 7:24 am

try working the area with every coil you can and in every timing. we took a newby for a lesson last week and he found 3 for total of 2.6 grams with a 14 x 9 in enhanced in an area long thought to be clean.
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Nuggets and patches Empty Nugget Distribution

Post  Rege-PA Sun May 22, 2011 8:09 am

Hi Goldquest....There is a Dr.Fagan...WA School of Mines who is working on a spread sheet to estimate the amount of nuggets in a patch based on the size of those nuggets and how many are left after the patch has been worked. He is looking for info from nugget hunters to test this theory. Some of you more experienced hunters would know if he is right or wrong. Interesting read.http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/gold-nugget-distribution.html

Rege-PA
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 9:03 am

The link in the post above is not working properly, try this and then click on the link in the site to go to the nugget distribution calculator.

http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Sun May 22, 2011 10:25 am

A couple of years ago someone took the trouble to estimate the nugget size and content of a patch and posted it on a forum, perhaps here or Finders, try search.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 10:41 am

hey goldquest, one off my patches i found about 70 bits from .08s to 1.4 grams i was useing a 11"dd and a 8" commander coil on my 4000. i'm still getting a few bits out near that spot but it's about all gone now. i wish it could all grow back... i would do a few hrs hear and there each day as i new that it wasn't going anywere...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down