Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New GP3500 owner.

4 posters

Go down

New GP3500 owner. Empty New GP3500 owner.

Post  sebtones Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 pm

After a couple of weeks wrestling with the Sd2100 and spending more time tuning and balancing it than actually detecting i've bit the bullet and bought a GP3500 from Coiltek. I also bought the Johnathon Porter DVD that covers the 3500 so i'm hoping once i watch it that my head will stop spinning! At the moment i have 3 coils, 2 Minelab commander 11's(one DD and one mono) and a Coiltek 18"DD(newer type), anyway i'm just wondering if i should also invest in a larger mono coil, i.e 16"-20" NF or Coiltek or am i better of just using the 11" mono for the time being.
Also, any tips for a first time 3500 user???
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

New GP3500 owner. Empty Re: New GP3500 owner.

Post  sebtones Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:19 pm

BTW, is it necessary to use a signal booster(hear it all by Coiltek)on this detector or will it not make much difference?
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  fredmason Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 am

Seb; you will do well to use the 11 inch Minelab coils to start and learn. Either coil is very sensitive and will find small, large, deep or shallow gold. You donot need any other coils than what you have...but, you may eventually want some. While the audio is ok on the 3500, I prefer to run an amplifer. I use the Dual-Speaker system and sony behind-the-ear headphones...almost never do I use the heavy, hot headphones that are common.

I almost always run in sensitive/deep and fixed...using the fast-track button to re-gb as needed and periodically...
hope this helps...
BTW;read and carry your manual...

Jonathan's dvd will save you much heartache and trials...he is the BEST!
fred

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim. Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:00 am

Hi Seb,

I to run a 3500, like Fred said Deep Sensitive, Tracking Fixed. GB often to keep threshhold stable. I have an external speaker and a Lucky Lark battery system set at 6.8volts, the Lucky Lark has a built in signal enhancer. Stick with your DD coil until you get used to the detector and the sounds it makes (a mono might drive you mad at first Very Happy )

Jim.

Jim.
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 am

G'day Sebtones.

If you're thinking of investing in a larger mono,both the 16 & 20 inch NFs work well on the GP3500 and run reasonably quiet(pending on the amount of ground mineralization),the difference being on size.The 16 inch you'll find a more user friendly & versatile coil to use,capable of tackling a wider variety of ground conditions as compared to the larger 20 inch,which is mostly used as a patch finder as well as for larger deeper gold,over the flatter terrain.The depth difference between the two is about 20% in favour of the 20" but only on targets that start surpassing the 1/2 ounce mark.The 16 inch will pick up smaller nuggies 0.5 to say 5gms at even greater depths than the 20 inch.Remember this also,the larger the mono coil,the greater the EMI it will attract,making some areas difficult to work.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  sebtones Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks for the advice guys(has now been set to deep+sensitive), i've been itching to get out again but its been pretty crappy weather here, hopefully tomorrow will be nicer. i've put on an 18" coiltek DD pro(with great difficulty, did not want to fit!), so will see how i travel with that. i've read my manual inside out and am waiting for JP's DVD's to arrive(have his GP3500 update, just waiting on the first 2 in his GP series, bloody company on ebay reckons overnight postage(and theyre in Vic) but its now been 5 days Rolling Eyes ).
I just want to get a larger mono so i have that option there if i need/want it. I have 2 Commander 11"'s, a DD and a Mono, plus the aforementioned Coiltek 18" and now with the 3500 i feel the threshold and tuning+balance i'd really like to have a run with a large (pref NF) mono....
I know guys like to upgrade and have the latest and greatest but i really feel the the GP3500 is all i could ever need for the time being, i feel a real understanding and connection with this machine and i love to just look at its build quality and form, they really are sexy little creations! lol!. I could be speaking too soon here but i really don't feel that i need anymore than what the GP3500 has to offer me at the moment.
Now i'm just waiting on my new transport and i'll be out prospecting my fingers to the bone, i really love this, even when i'm not finding anything swinging the minelab or feeding the sluice and panning are for me the highest forms of Zen, the gold is just a happy bonus!(WHEN it happens! lol)
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:49 am

Seb
A little tip.I always carry a bic lighter in my pocket.They are really great to get the best depth out of every coil.Wave it over the coil moving it further and further away.Adjust your threshold so that you can just hear it.Its to easy to have the threshold too far on.This method gives you the best chance of finding those feint ones.This 'Air test' also shows differences in sensitivity of coils.Small powerfull coils and large less sensitive coils.
The second benefit is that you can light a fire if lost.Has happened to me once.Overcast days are the worst.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  fredmason Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 am

I would advise starting and learning with the 11 inch dd...but, if you must use the 18 inch...get a hip stick to lighten the burden...better yet give it a go without the hipstick then you will be ever so happy to have a hipstick...even the great and mighty Jp uses a hipstick...I have stood next to the man so I am not being cheeky-as y'all might think.
fred

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down