Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach

3 posters

Go down

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach Empty Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach

Post  Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:39 pm

If you disc out iron up to Aussie five cent coins the pic here shows what you will likely be missing.

The rings on the left are rejected and those on the right were accepted.

https://2img.net/h/i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/ausnapshot/DSCF3303.jpg

Back to top Go down

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach Empty Re: Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach

Post  Carms Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Adrian SS - Thats scarey, ah? you are leaving a lot for the next person.
What sort of detector are you running? I have a Sovereign GT and run with the standard DD coil in with the Disc. on but turn the Disc and Notch dials down low as possible- this nulls out ferrous and hopefully nothing else.
I enjoy the beach detecting and am considering this summer I will invest in a 15" WOT coil (better beach coverage) but will have to run it past the war office first.
Good luck out there
Carms

Carms
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach Empty Re: Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach

Post  Guest Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:06 pm

I use tha Sov and an 15 in Wot but the results are the same with any detector using discrimination above high iron/foil.
I have had the iron mask disabled in the Sov and run zero disc and zero notch if I want to find all gold rings. All of the rings in the pic were found using zero disc and if I had cranked the disc up to knock out small foil and bits of wire and nails then I would have missed most of those rings. Approx 70% of those rings give a low iron type tone.

I don't think I leave many gold rings in the ground due to thinking the tone was for iron or other junk. Also most of the signals that give an slight high tone chirp and then drop to a low tone are often a good target
I also use the Infinium and it is pretty good at finding everthing which is fine by me because I normaly dig all signals......unless my back is crook and then I get a bit picky coz the Infinium is deep seeking detector.... like the Sov.

The 15 inch Wot is fantastic for beach work and is also very sensitive for a large coil. You will find yourself turning the sensitivity down a bit to counter elec interference.

Back to top Go down

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach Empty Gold Rings at the Beach

Post  G.K. Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:09 pm

If your back plays up from time to time I suggest a Tens machine, especially for muscular or compressed disc pain. I get both & a session with the Tens soon sorts it out, leave the pads on all day if required & keep turning the unit back on when it times out.

G.K.
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Back to top Go down

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach Empty Gold Ring at the Beach.

Post  sandy2010 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:38 am

Adrian/GK
I'm being left behind in your dust cloud.............Q1) What is a Tens machine
Q2)What is a Wot coil.....and will it be suitable for the original Sovreign (early 90s)?

Thanks.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:24 am

G/day Sandy,
Yes the Wot (Wonderfull Orange Thing) Coil by Coiltek will work with your Sov and any other Sov series detector inc Excal. It is a 15 inch DD coil and it is awsome on the salt beaches.
WOT is term given to this coil by the UK chaps because it is an orange colour and works wonderfully. Very Happy
I wrote a short report re the WOT in the Aug 2000 ediion of AGG&T
The Tens Machine is an electronic, muscle stimulator that sends pulsed electrical impulses into your muscles.It is supposed to relieve pain.

Last edited by Adrian ss on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach Empty Re:Gold Rings etc.

Post  sandy2010 Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks for the info. Adrian......so coil number 16 will be a wot coil !
The tens machine sounds like something Minelab should be incorporating in the 5500/6000......LOL.

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:51 am

lol! lol! lol! lol!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_kw=15+wot+coil

Back to top Go down

Gold Rings And discrimination At the Beach Empty Tens Machine

Post  G.K. Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 pm

In my case the Tens machine is not just supposed to relieve pain, it works well for me. I might have to use it for a few hours, switching off then on again when the timer runs out.

G.K.
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Back to top Go down