Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP Extreme/5000

4 posters

Go down

GP Extreme/5000 Empty GP Extreme/5000

Post  longbob Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but it looks great.
I have always been a pan/cradle/sluice man but on the recent death of my younger brother, have inherited a Minelab GP Extreme. With retirement looming, thought I would exchange the pan for electronics
I understand the Extreme is a good detector but getting older. I have the opportunity to trade it in for a GPX5000.
So - which way to go? Ease of use will be important, as also the ability to find small gold.
I would appreciate any thoughts and wisdom on this topic. Thanks

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme/5000 Empty Re: GP Extreme/5000

Post  CostasDee Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your brother longbob.
As far as the detector goes, I would probably stay with the Extreme for the moment until your happy to continue with this great hobby and then maybe take the plunge to the 5000. I use an even older machine and although it does miss the smaller nuggets, it doesn't miss too many of the bigger ones. My only reason for not upgrading is financial, but as far as detecting goes, I love it. You have to love it too before you spend so much extra cash on the 5000.
Good luck whichever way you go.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd recommend going to the 5000. I use to own an extreme and after having no luck, i purchased a 5000. I had immediate luck on the same ground. the 5000 is a far superior machine and will find a lot more gold than the extreme.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:51 pm

G'day Longbob.Welcome to the forum.

My condolences for the passing of your brother. Yes the GPX5000 is a far more user friendly and superior machine when compared to the GP extreme but unless you've had experience searching and finding gold in the past with a pulse detector,it will be of little significance to you.I'd have to agree with CostasDee on this one.Spend some time experiencing what you currently have and see if this form of prospecting for gold suits you,before spending a lot more money and updating to the current new model.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down