Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP Extreme - Coil Preference...

+4
deutran
Inhere
HOBO'S Gold
Nuggsy
8 posters

Go down

GP Extreme - Coil Preference... Empty GP Extreme - Coil Preference...

Post  Nuggsy Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Appologies in advance as I know this question has been asked before, but I still couldnt really find the answer I was looking for.

Just wanting to know what the best coil is for my GP Extreme? For those of you that have owned/used an extreme, what coil did you prefer or use and how much luck have you had?

Ive noticed quite a few second hand machines being sold with the Coiltek DD Eliptical coil. I was quite keen on buying a Nugget Finder Mono Eliptical but have been told you get alot of feedback/ground noise when mono coils are used on the Extreme.

As I am running the original coil that was sold with my machine from new any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nuggsy

Nuggsy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme - Coil Preference... Empty Re: GP Extreme - Coil Preference...

Post  HOBO'S Gold Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Gday Nuggsy, The best alround coil for your extreme is the 14" dd Pro, thats if you want to run a quiet machine, i use to run mono coils on my extreme, but i had to put up with lots of noise.
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:52 pm

G'day Nuggsy, you do get alot of feedback/ground noise when mono coils are used on the Extreme but that depends on
how mineralised the ground you are working is.

There is nothing wrong with the standard 11" DD coil, other good coils are the 14"-18" DD Pro coils. I would be using DD
coils until I knew the detector well. Some of the Nugget FinderDD coils would also work well. Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Nuggsy
The 14DD pro is a great match,remember you can run both the 11 and 14's in mono mode which also works very well on the extreme.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 am

Gday Nuggsy

As suggested the coiltek 14" dd pro coil is a good coil for the extreme, quiet and capable in hot ground, mono's will also be of benefit in quieter ground, the ones I used the most were the 14" coiltek mono, 11" coiltek mono, and my favorite was the 8" minelab mono.

If you dont want to go as big as the 14" round I also used the 11" dd pro a bit as well and that was not too bad, but the standard issue 11" dd coil is as good, the black 11" dd coil that comes with the extreme I found were a bit dull and lacked sensitivity but did the job if the ground was a bit on the salty side.

I have not tried the later coils on an extreme because they were not available when I had my extreme, but I would be tempted to try the Nuggetfinder 14" round mono coil on it, some eliptical coils may be a tad twitchy on the extreme, as they tend to be somewhat unstable in the threshold as well you might find that the combination of both these things a bit distracting.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:54 am

Gday Nuggsy,
As the others have said,If you havent had the detector long or are new to detecting in General,stick to the DD coils to start with.
Once you get used to the detector,look at either the Coiltek 14x9 Goldstalker Elliptical Mono,or the Nugget finder equiv. For small Gold in Creeks or rocky ground,Go the tried and true Coiltek 10 inch Ellip Joey Mono.
Very hard coil to beat,and easier to use than a round 8 inch Mono.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuggsy Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks heaps for the replies, sounds like I have a few good options to go with Very Happy

Nuggsy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:25 pm

best coil i ever ran was the coiltek 14x9 mono.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Hey mate-i currently run a coiltek 470mm x 300mm mono on my extreme and really like it. It does occaisionally run a little noisy on certain types of ground particularly the real fine dusty/sand that you get on the flat land adjacent to creeks and gullies, other than that it works a treat.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme - Coil Preference... Empty GP-EXTREME COIL PREFERENCE

Post  Cashman Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:57 pm

G'day Nuggsy,
I run a coupla' coils on my Extreme. Have tried 11"DD Coiltek, for no result. 16" Mono Nugget Finder, again no result. 14"DD Coiltek, nice and quiet, multiple results. 24"UFO Mono Ellyptical, multiple results, even on sub-gram ( down to .1gr at 10" standing up in schist ). It mostly depends on the ground you are detecting, and other things such as undergrowth thickness, swinging room, as well as mineralisation. Lots of things to take into account. The 24"UFO can be noisy in certain types of ground, but is also a blessing in disguise in quiet ground as more ground can be covered in less time as well as punching down deep. In Noisy ground, you only need the 14"DD Coiltek, as it will pick up small bits as well as punch reasonably deep. Cheers, Cashman.
Cashman
Cashman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Nuggsy.
I use a 14x9 nugget finder advantage on my extreme & although I am happy with it & have done well I tried a new coiltec 14x9 blitz coil on the same ground & the coiltec was so quiet I had to keep putting my pick near the coil to see if it was working. so I might sell my N/F & buy a coiltec blitze.
cheers Greg

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down