Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EMI. RX GAIN and Stabilizer

3 posters

Go down

EMI. RX GAIN and Stabilizer Empty EMI. RX GAIN and Stabilizer

Post  G.B. Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi all.

The last couple of times I have been out Inglewood and Rheola way the EMI has become unbearable starting around 5.00pm and by about 5.45 to 6.00 gets so bad I've had to give up.Tried adjusting the RX and Stabilizer and different size coils but still no go. Might be just coincidence but it seems to get a lot worse when trying to locate a target that has responded to the detector. Has anyone else noticed the sharp rise in EMI around that time in those areas. What could be the reason. (Wondering if an increase in traffic at those time could be part of the reason)

Last time it happened the weather was fairly cool for this time of year mid to high 20's and the GPX 4500 seemed to be running great from early morning until the EMI started up.

I'm also still confused about;

Adjusting the RX Gain do I need to adjust the Stabilizer?

If I adjust the RX towards high numbers which way do I adjust the stabilizer and vice versa.

Should you always adjust the RX before the stabilizer.

Thanks G.B.

Last edited by G.B. on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

EMI. RX GAIN and Stabilizer Empty Re: EMI. RX GAIN and Stabilizer

Post  Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

G.B. wrote: If I adjust the RX towards high numbers which way do I adjust the stabilizer and vice versa.
Thanks G.B.

G'day G.B.

Generally if EMI is bad as you describe, you will need to lower (less numbers) on the stabaliser if you are running a high RX gain.

I find that with the RXgain on 12 and the stabaliser on 6 the GPX4500 runs fairly good.

Another tip, when the EMI starts up try using the manual tune and just adjust it a few numbers one way or the other, it just my help, I know it does on mine.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi G.B
The Emi is much less early morning here up to about 9.00am then the worst at dusk.You can avoid working high ground at these times or close to powerlines.Another option is to run an 8"mono which will get you out of trouble.Most people here run 8 for the stabilizer with an Rx whatever your comfortable with.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

EMI. RX GAIN and Stabilizer Empty Thanks

Post  G.B. Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks guys for your advice.

Went out to Rheola and then Inglewood today and tried what you suggested, as a result the I was able to detect up to 6.00pm with no problems then had to knock off to drive home. No gold but plenty of bullets, buttons, nails and tacks. I also found another piece of molten lead that looks similiar to nuggets except for colour. I've found several off these large, small, shallow and deep. Are these bits of lead like that natural or man made.

G.B.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:36 pm

GB the molten lead that you are finding are man made. Either by them melting lead to make musket balls and it was the run off from the moulds. Or it is solder from tin food cans that they heated on the fire and it melted into the ground. A lot of the old times died from lead poisoning this way not knowing it was coming from the solder on the joins of the cans when heated. Shocked
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  crack-hardy Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:33 am

G'Day G.B,

I have a 4500 and had great trouble with its erratic-ness. However after consulting members on this forum and an outside source I simply realised I had my detectors' settings ass about face. And what I have been told, and after I trialed and tested, successfully, I have now really started to figure out my 4500.
Basically among many variations of settings, I was told to try run my RX gain as high as possible without too much unstableness, and then approx run the stabaliser 4-5 below what the gain is. This may sound very simple to many members here but It was something very simple yet made a massive difference. I also run my machine in bad EMI(where sounds like standing under power lines), in motion slow, with about 6-9 gain, 4-7 stabaliser and in enhance with a man tune either very low or extreme which I have found, for me, to work with rather successful finds. However I am by know means a full bottle on the detector and will always try pick the brains of people on this forum. But all in all, the above was like a light bulb coming on after i was shown why we change each settings and now have to go back and re-detect old area's I once covered with my old settings...Bummer.
Anyway hope this helps and wasn't a waste of anyones reading time. Ha.
Cheers, crack-hardy.
crack-hardy
crack-hardy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Dunks50 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:48 am

crack-hardy wrote:G'Day G.B,

I have a 4500 and had great trouble with its erratic-ness. However after consulting members on this forum and an outside source I simply realised I had my detectors' settings ass about face. And what I have been told, and after I trialed and tested, successfully, I have now really started to figure out my 4500.
Basically among many variations of settings, I was told to try run my RX gain as high as possible without too much unstableness, and then approx run the stabaliser 4-5 below what the gain is. This may sound very simple to many members here but It was something very simple yet made a massive difference. I also run my machine in bad EMI(where sounds like standing under power lines), in motion slow, with about 6-9 gain, 4-7 stabaliser and in enhance with a man tune either very low or extreme which I have found, for me, to work with rather successful finds. However I am by know means a full bottle on the detector and will always try pick the brains of people on this forum. But all in all, the above was like a light bulb coming on after i was shown why we change each settings and now have to go back and re-detect old area's I once covered with my old settings...Bummer.
Anyway hope this helps and wasn't a waste of anyones reading time. Ha.
Cheers, crack-hardy.

Gday crack hardy

It sounds as though you have it sussed now, but you also have to remember that it does not hurt to tweak your settings at each new spot you go to, if your machine runs quiet and smooth and you are starting to get gold then all is right, but if others are getting gold around you and you are not then check your settings.

For that matter each time I move to a new spot I carry out a quick check of my settings, and switch positions, sometimes the smallest tweak can make a big difference to your finds, the detector switches can be moved in transit and unless you have a look when you start to detect again somewhere else you can be unintentionally detecting in cancel mode for instance and not realise it for awhile, sure everybody has done that at least once, so spending a few moments having a look at the settings,switches, and tuning can make a big difference to your finds.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down