Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sandstone store

+8
doitduey
TED & LYNNE
boobook
Geronimo Reilly
Red Devil
brett0004
evan2010
goldfisher
12 posters

Go down

sandstone store Empty sandstone store

Post  goldfisher Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 am

Hi, For those heading for Sandstone this winter the general store is closing at the end of the month,but i believe the council is having a meeting soon to decide what to do about fuel maybe a card system like Yalgo, this is what i been told by reliable source
cheers .............

goldfisher
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

sandstone store Empty Re: sandstone store

Post  evan2010 Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Yep its a shame that Danny & Gina are closing the store. But as I understand it they have their reasons and I wish them well in whatever their plans for the future may be. Cheers Evan
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  brett0004 Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:36 pm

What was the new building that they were building over near the fuel pumps I thought that was going to be the new store etc.

brett0004
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-05-27

Back to top Go down

sandstone store Empty Re sandstone store

Post  Red Devil Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:37 pm

It's not too far to drive to leinster for a big shop up a good choice of food at a reasonable price and diesel is a fair price as well

Red Devil
Contributor
Contributor

Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Geronimo Reilly Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am

The most important question is -- Will the Pub still be open ??? Question Question
Geronimo Reilly
Geronimo Reilly
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:18 am

Not having been there,may I ask how many permanents live in Sandstone?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Sorry to see the store closing. I presume fuel would still be made available though, I would have thought that there was enough business and locals that would be at a real inconvenience. Im sure there is a council works yard there too.
Costly if you have to travel mt magnet of lienster for supplies, either way would be about 250km from memory

Back to top Go down

sandstone store Empty Re sandstone store

Post  Red Devil Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi larry303 sandstone is about 140ks wnw of leinster the population is between 100-120 people, nice little caravan park very clean and one hotel, shire office ,tourist information centre, would be the cleanest town in outback W.A.

Red Devil
Contributor
Contributor

Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:26 pm

Could it be, that this very tidy little village between Mount Magnet, Leinster and Leonora is losing out because for the travelling hobby/detectorist there is so little open ground available?
We passed through there last year and I would have to say (from my couple of beers in the pub and attempt at conversation) it did not come across as over friendly.
At least the lady in the information centre gave us some good information on local wildflowers and shrubs.
We were not chasing gold, just passing through, which is exactly what we did.
mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

sandstone store Empty boobook your assumptions were deffinitly correct

Post  TED & LYNNE Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 pm

last trip we were asstounded at the appathetic attitude of the 2 people that served us fuel.... like it was a bloody great chore (we took on 438litres of diesel and 62litres of unleaded) NEVER AGAIN WILL WE BUY FUEL THERE

TED & LYNNE
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  doitduey Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Meet up with some Sandstonians for coffee this week and it would seem the pub is going to put a small shop where the pool room is and they are looking at taking over the fuel too. Danny, Gina Heidi and Jo will be badly missed. Such a shame to see this happen.

doitduey
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 pm

boobook wrote:Could it be, that this very tidy little village between Mount Magnet, Leinster and Leonora is losing out because for the travelling hobby/detectorist there is so little open ground available?
We passed through there last year and I would have to say (from my couple of beers in the pub and attempt at conversation) it did not come across as over friendly.
At least the lady in the information centre gave us some good information on local wildflowers and shrubs.
We were not chasing gold, just passing through, which is exactly what we did.
mike

Precisely. Sandstone has the most miserable inhabitants on the planet. One lease owning local in particular has damn near shut the town down on his own with his greedy, grasping, obnoxiuos attitude to tourists and prospectors. It took him about 25 years but he managed it. We all said he'd do it eventually. It's a dump and it's all the fault of the locals. They deserve the bloody place! Rolling Eyes

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 am

It might be time to form a lynching mob and take him to the Hanging tree!!!

Who's with prilgrims

Back to top Go down

Post  NuggetDundee Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:30 pm

hey guys, the shops at the pub now so very handy for everyone. Also the fuel has been sold and awaiting 24 hr eftpos machine. Some locals defintely bring the town down but all in all its a great place to go. Open ground is available if you meet the right people. Its a shame some of you didnt get to experience the good part of Sandstone but if you ever do come back contact us on here even if its just for a beer and a laugh with some decent locals. or email sandstoneadventuretours@hotmail.com as im not on here too often. Hope youll give Sandstone another chance, happy gold hunting. Dundee

NuggetDundee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:28 am

Well there you go, we have stayed at the Caravan Park several times, and was very impressed with cleanliness and hospitality. We walked around the town and talked to locals and was impressed how tidy it was, the lady gardener was to be congratulated.
We had the necessary 20A's and detected to hearts content, found gold. Never once were we harrassed by anyone, formed some long term friends at the Park who we are still in contact with.
Maybe we didn't cross local objection to our visits because we didn't visit the pub or Six Mile?
Was so impressed with the town we have contemplated moving there permantly bringing in a transportable home.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited by Nightjar on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Further info)
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

sandstone store Empty Hey Mr Nugget Dundee

Post  Goldfields Explorer Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Hey Dundee  Where have you gone to now days , I hear you have left sandstone ?
You know me from the gigs & music i played over there , I didnt know you were a member here also
Let the shadows tunes ring out into the streets of sandstone, I caught up scruff & donna few weeks ago
Cheers for now from the GoldfieldsExplorer
Goldfields Explorer
Goldfields Explorer
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down