Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps?

+8
Shaneo
Imadogman
Narrawa
U308
kon61
johnno481
byronbinalong
ROCKDOC69
12 posters

Go down

Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? Empty Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps?

Post  ROCKDOC69 Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi,
Can anyone suggest which head lamps are the best for night detecting - I'm looking for bright lighting and durability of batteries...rechargable or replacable not bothered...must last atr least 4 hours... cheers
ROCKDOC69
ROCKDOC69
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2011-04-21

http://www.russellhalden.com.au

Back to top Go down

Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? Empty Re: Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps?

Post  byronbinalong Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:18 pm

get an LED cree headlamp or a good LED lamp .... fleabay have em and fairly cheap too Shocked
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? Empty Re: Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps?

Post  ROCKDOC69 Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeh I saw them and wondered if they were any good. Have you the rechargeable Cree lamp?? and if so what Lumens? Did you get your across from HONGKONG?
ROCKDOC69
ROCKDOC69
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? Empty Night detecting- suggested headlamps

Post  johnno481 Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 am

If you can afford about $150 you won't do better than a Petzl regulated/programmable . Brilliant light, variable brightness and long lasting battery life. You get what you pay for.

johnno481
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ROCKDOC69 Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am

Petzl-Impressive looking + with the Australian dollar, gotta love the exchange rate!!
ROCKDOC69
ROCKDOC69
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:11 pm

G'day RockDock69.

As far as I'm concerned,strictly for prospecting,you cant go past the LED LENSER H14.(rechargeable or disposable battery model).

Cheers kon61.

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Another suggestion: Fenix HP11 or Fenix HL21.

I have the HL21 very good - 3 light levels, Punishes Battery on high but lower levels 'fine'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8LDS63KWVE

http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  ROCKDOC69 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:07 am

Decisions decisions!! Those Fenix's look pretty good, the hand held ones look pretty handy for clipping to the detector and they have the clamps as well.. cyclops
ROCKDOC69
ROCKDOC69
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Princeton Tec Apex

The biggest and brightest headlamp in our professional series, the Apex has been a favorite of extreme outdoorsmen and cavers for years. Truly the pinnacle of waterproof LED headlamp design, the Apex combines the qualities of both the Eos and the Quad. With a single Regulated Maxbright LED partnered with Four Regulated Ultrabright LEDs, the Apex provides either a powerful spot beam or a bright flood, and switching between the two is incredibly easy. The four Ultrabright LEDs come in red, green, or white in order to suit your personal preference. Proprietary heatsink technology allows the LEDs to burn brighter and longer. The Apex is compatible with alkaline, lithium, and rechargeable batteries.

SPECIFICATIONS

POWER 130 Lumens
LAMP 4 Ultrabright LEDs, Maxbright LED
BURN TIME 150 Hours
BATTERIES 4 AA Alkaline, Lithium or NiHM Rechargeable
WEIGHT 279 Grams
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRINCETON-TEC-APEX-HEADLAMP-130-LUMENS-/190605352749?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item2c60f6df2d

When you buy this model, you only buy it once, still have the first one i bought yet upgraded it to the newer model due to more Lumens. Both still going strong.

Have also got the Led Lenser Headlamp H14R, link below for reference only.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Led-Lenser-Headlamp-H14R-rechargeable-New-Model-220Lm-/270908230975?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item3f13638d3f
The run time of this light is nowhere near what they state, sales pitch only.
Yet its bright and has functions you'll never use and programing it is a pain.
Got them on the cheap for backups or for those detecting with us who dont normally detect at night.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 pm

I have been picking up interference on the 5000 from the Princeton Tec headlamp. The closer the bulb gets to the coil the more it chirps etc. But agree for walking around and good light --fantastic. Any thoughts on the interference though? How to avoid...? cheers.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Steve, i'll assume your using the 4 out side LEDS and not the center one.
If you use them on high and are close to the coil than yes, you will get a small mount of interference due to the regulated circuitry doing its thing. If your retrieving your target i suggest to switch to the lower setting and this will put a stop to the interference.

The Led Lenser above does the same thing as its regulated as well and having used in recently found the same problem.
Having a very bright light that comes with some draw backs.....yet you cant argue with the light they toss out.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Got to agree with Narrawa. In a previous life I used head torches every day as part of my job for hours on end. I went through so many I lost count until Narrawa and Tributer put me onto the Princeton Tec about 3 years ago.
I still have that one and if I ever do kill it, it will be replaced with another one the same.

I also went through 3 rather expensive Silva headlamps and all 3 were replaced under warrenty. When it died again I chucked it as it wasn't worth the down time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaneo Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 pm

For no interference....maybe try a candle! Very Happy
Laughing

Shaneo

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 am

Shaneo wrote:For no interference....maybe try a candle! Very Happy
Laughing
Ya tight ass!

lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:12 am

I heard that mounting your Headlamp to a 2ltr Icecream container and strapping it to you Scone is the Go.
Kind of a Mr Whippy Miners hat.....
This set-up not only reduces interferance,it stops Aliens from brain washing you and helps you find big Nuggets as well.
Give it a try.
PS: please post pics in you find this set-up a winner

Back to top Go down

Post  dno Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 pm

I found out about these lights while on a recent trip, they run on 3AAA batteries have 3 modes (High, Low, Strobe) There a single LED that have a spot or spread beam and put out a blinding amount of light for the money.
You can buy them from Anaconda at the moment for $14.00 and in my opinion you could do a lot worse.
Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? DSCF5147
In this pic if you look closely you can see there are sheep in the paddock, you
could easily see further but I couldn't take a pics any further away.
Spot Beam.
Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? DSCF5139
Spread Beam, at distance.
Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? DSCF5140
Lastly a pic in daylight some as you can judge
the distance.
Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? DSCF5144
Hope it's of some use to someone.

Cheers. dno.

dno
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslugger Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Gus wrote:I heard that mounting your Headlamp to a 2ltr Icecream container and strapping it to you Scone is the Go.
Kind of a Mr Whippy Miners hat.....
This set-up not only reduces interferance,it stops Aliens from brain washing you and helps you find big Nuggets as well.
Give it a try.
PS: please post pics in you find this set-up a winner
hi GUS, YEH makes sense to me too. Rolling Eyes do you need to empty the i scream first,or does it help with conductivity? cool idea. bounce
i find the strap is too tight,should i get a longer one? i have a yellow container, does the color make a difference i.e tuning,reception?
i have found two big nuggets already, when i took a p%^$, works well. Laughing cheers Cool
goldslugger
goldslugger
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:22 am

Hey Goldslugger,
Your on the Money Mate!
There is talk that the Yellow tubs lure the big ones out of hiding. Better results than the White or Blue tubs.
Chin strap too tight? I normally just Gaff tape mine on as I am vertically challenged at the best of times. Wink

Back to top Go down

Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps? Empty Night Detecting-Suggested head lamps?

Post  Hey presto Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:32 pm

I love my led lenser H14. It takes 4 AA. I have not used it for detecting, but have for spotlighting - 210 lumens + high/lower power, adjustable beam etc. They also have a rechargeable model. I heard there are cheap copies being sold as genuine ones. I got mine from the on line store below. Good price, claimed all genuine etc. great service and turned up within a few days.
http://yourhomedepot.com.au/brands/led-lenser/
Hey presto
Hey presto
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  toadskin Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:21 am

Gus wrote:Hey Goldslugger,
Your on the Money Mate!
There is talk that the Yellow tubs lure the big ones out of hiding. Better results than the White or Blue tubs.
Chin strap too tight? I normally just Gaff tape mine on as I am vertically challenged at the best of times. Wink

My tub is Low Fat. All the nuggets I've found have been only 9ct!
toadskin
toadskin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:17 am

i just use the headlamp that u buy in Kmart.

I have found that the really bright setting attracts all the bugs for a 10km radius..

They are cheap--$15--I have 2 of them--plus a heap of spare batteries. they work for me.

regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down