Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "Brides Treasure Detector" Whites GMT

5 posters

Go down

The "Brides Treasure Detector" Whites GMT Empty The "Brides Treasure Detector" Whites GMT

Post  mulgadansa Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Gday All
I run a 4500 and the wife would like something dead simple to use that she could chase coins etc with, while we're out prospecting/fossicking.
I was originally going to get an xterra but she wants a "turn on and hunt" type cheapo.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to something that will do the job yet be simple to use?
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

The "Brides Treasure Detector" Whites GMT Empty Re: The "Brides Treasure Detector" Whites GMT

Post  Shinegold Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:58 pm

I would get a GMT with a small coil. Never used one but sounds like fun.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

The "Brides Treasure Detector" Whites GMT Empty Re: The "Brides Treasure Detector" Whites GMT

Post  Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi
I just bought my other half a Whites GMT from Tony Mills at Dunolly and she loves it... great discriminator... is a turn on and away u go. She found a 1850 sixpence first outing with it....

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi Ray,

Do you remember the two full time detector fellas in the CP at Dunolly when we were down there. I met up with them at Yandal in WA a few weeks ago. They were very friendly and helpful.
Have you move down to there full time ?

Jigalong.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi Mike,
Yes I have moved down here full time now... bought a property just outside Dunolly about 18 months ago now.... I havent seen those guys round here for about 6 months now...thought they may have headed over to the west..

Regards

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:13 pm

G'day Brett,

I have a whites MXT which has prospecting mode on it if you want to look for gold. It's an absolutely excellent detector and it's a turn it on and go type. Its so easy my mother could use it, and did, and found some old toys in the garden we lost when we were kids. The GMT is a dedicated gold seeking machine. the MXT has coin and jewellery mode as well as relic mode. It's basically an exterra 70 only very simple to operate and in my opinion a little better.

My mate has one as well and is going to sell his and upgrade to a minelab 4500 if you're interested.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:26 am

Besides the good Whites units also in the VLF's, a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq is also very simple, lighweight, and is an analog(not digital) unit and is also great for gold and coins. Also a Minelab Eureka Gold.

In a deeper Pulse Induction unit going for gold only, you may look at a lightweight Garrett Infinium LS as very simple operate too.

Do not get a Fisher Gold Bug-2 or Garrett Scorpion for your wife as they are Manual GB units. You DO want a Auto-Trac GB unit for your wife instead.

You could buy a used older cheap second-hand SD 2200, a good GP Extreme, or GP 3000-3500(all these have Auto-Trac GB) for your wife, all are set it and forget it easy, and then she can also use the same coils as you.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks Shine, Ray, Dicko and BeerB
I should have asked this Q a while ago and chased a secondhand one up but we're going out bush again next week so i'll have to buy a new one in Perth while we're down there this week. Interesting that the Whites seems to be your preference. I had some experience with an old Whites (can't remember the model - it was a blue box on top of a shaft and made a really crappy noise) back in 1978 and haven't touched one since.
Thanks again.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Brett if you're interested Tony Mills has a 2nd hand MXT with 12 month's warranty for under $800. I'm sure he'd send it to WA for you

Robert

Back to top Go down