Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gloucester NSW

+3
gef50
Detrackozi
AUoptimist
7 posters

Go down

Gloucester NSW Empty Gloucester NSW

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Heading to Gloucester NSW to visit friends with the wife and kids for a week or so. I figure my 5000 may actually get a chance to come alive? bounce or not? Sad
Anyone with info? "Pretty Please"! PM's will do just fine and dandy Very Happy

Cheers people.
Chris.

Back to top Go down

Gloucester NSW Empty Re: Gloucester NSW

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Where about in NSW is Gloucester scratch
Google earth keeps wanting to take me to England Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  AUoptimist Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi SOMEDAY & SHIVAN,
Gloucester or more accurately Copeland is a well documented gold area about 30 minutes drive from Gloucester.
Pretty much the entire gold area is contained within the COPELAND STATE CONSERVATION AREA and the NPAWS run the show.
Any requests to prospect the area will be met with a firm "NO" from NPAWS, when Forrests NSW were looking after it there were no problems as far as I am aware.
Other possible locations are for the most part on private property and a small area of state forrest.
Your contacts in Gloucester might be able to help with the private country.
This time of the year the whole area, mainly rainforest is crawling with leaches particularly after the rain we have had, ticks and snakes can also make life interesting.
The area of interest is very steep and for the most part heavily overgrown, NPAWS have several walking trails in the area but it's "looky no-touchy".
Hope this is of some use.
SHIVAN!
Gloucester is inland about an hours drive from Forster on the NSW north coast and Taree on the Manning river and pacific highway.
Cheers, AUoptimist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Chris

You have a 5000 you don't need a X on a map. if you are smart enough to buy a 5000 then you should know were to look, would you not say Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Put in (Gloucester NSW ) into GE it will come up

Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Geepers, If I was a newbie to the forum and stated I'm new to prospecting, I'm thinking of going to Gloucester NSW can anyone put me on a spot where I'll have a chance to find a couple of gold nuggets, I really have no idea about detecting, any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Liar. Razz
There would be 20 replies, some good some bad!
Actually AU said what needed to be said!

Geez.
Cheers
Chris.

P.s I don't even know how to get there, apart from pointing the car in a North North East direction? and with holiday traffic, Oh goody!

Back to top Go down

Gloucester NSW Empty Chris the newbie

Post  Detrackozi Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:22 am

Chris

This is were you should not go.

Currant Tenements as Google-E Overlays or load them into Ozi.

NSW Currant Tenements 22-12-2011.kml
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Thank's Detrackozi, that's a system I have no idea about! I G-earthed our friends property, which is actually 20ish k's S/E of Gloucester, a very nice looking river running through their property with a clearly defined high and dry old river course? More research underway!
Cheers
Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Gloucester, Oh so hilly. Panned a couple of creeks. Drank lot's of beer, the 5000 never looked close to being assembled!
Kid's, Wife, and a new found mate! Oh well it's Christmas. 2500 k's extra on the old Landcruiser and it didn't miss a beat. Very Happy Smile Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:06 pm

I got an "x" ... u can have it for 5 bucks Laughing
gef50
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslugger Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 pm

someday wrote:Gloucester, Oh so hilly. Panned a couple of creeks. Drank lot's of beer, the 5000 never looked close to being assembled!
Kid's, Wife, and a new found mate! Oh well it's Christmas. 2500 k's extra on the old Landcruiser and it didn't miss a beat. Very Happy Smile Sad
Razz hey SOMEDAYS back in fine form. mmmm booze or detect hmmmm. too hard. nice trip but . Razz tooheys etc too strong for vic. tourists mbe. how,s the dog? can ya train it to sniff gold? Razz Razz Razz Razz go qo well CHRIS. Cool
goldslugger
goldslugger
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 pm

It is a bit late now but you should also look out for rubies, in the pan. Kerry Packer put some money into a company that was digging for rubies near his property . As a by-product there was gold, at work we still have some of this fine gold. Due to O.T. 's I cannot remember the name of the company but I could find out.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Millions of dollars gold was dug out in that area, mainly from reefs, in the early days. I can scan and send details if you want. I have been there a few times.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks Minermike. It would be nice to have on hand those details, as the bloke/drinking bud has lived in the region his whole life and knows just about everyone in the farming community!
Goldslugger, as for fat dog finding gold, Hmm Nice thought! Smile No

Back to top Go down

Post  AUoptimist Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi SOMEDAY & MINERMIKE,
Like both of you I have spent some time checking out the Copeland/Gloucester area.
Being an SCA with the NSW NPWS running the show they do not allow any form of amateur prospecting in the area under their control.
However in a recent article in the Newcastle Morning Herald newspaper they have now started to run guided two hour discovery panning tours with the local ranger, $10 for adults and $8 dollars for the kids (3 to 15 years), if my memory serves me correctly.
While the above might be a softening in attitude by the NPWS, when I last enquired about prospecting the answer was a definite "NO", on the other hand it may just be a revenue raising persuit by the NPWS.
The Gloucester tourist promotion folk are keen to have as many people visit the area for a whole raft of activities, perhaps they should put some pressure on the NPWS to include amateur prospecting.
Environmental damage is always a catch-cry from the NPWS, when that subject surfaced during my conversation with a ranger I was quick to point out that a scrub turkey would shift more ground in an evening than a detectorist would in days, I also pointed out that the detectorist would backfill any holes unlike the turkey.
Any current information on what is happening up there I'm sure would be of interest to those of us living within striking distance of the area in question.
Stay tuned, AUoptinist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:41 pm

I have a book called, Copeland Gold by Norman Mitchell. Printed 1989 ISBN 0 7316 7674 2. It is a good book, full of facts and photos. You might be able to get a copy on the internet or borrow a copy from the library. If they have not got one they might be able to get it on inter library loan. Sorry, I do not want to part with mine, found when browsing in a s/hand book shop.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AUoptimist Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi MINERMIKE,
I have a copy of that book, it's a good read on the Copeland area, as far as I am aware it is no longer in print, however I did see a CD or DVD with the same title at Goanna Gold last week.
At this point in time all we have to do is convince the NPWS we detectorists are a harmless lot when it comes to the environment, may be one work around would be to dress up as scrub turkies, over grown examples and we would not have to worry about back-filling our holes.
Cheers, AUoptimist.
PS Have you been up that way in recent times? there are a few spots outside the SCA that "might" be worth a look in the cooler months.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

lipsmacker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Surely private prop would be OK? If not I should have kept my kangaroo suit "Old Post" Razz Very Happy Very Happy
More research required, then tackle it again in the cooler months, with less chance of getting side tracked! drunken

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:53 am

In the book Copeland Gold, it states that the main mine, Mountain Maid, produced 417 kilograms of gold, up till the year 1932. Parts of the reef went 15 oz. to the ton. I am sure somebody would like to convert that to a present day dollar figure !
I have not been up that way for a few years and then only as a tourist.
If you are swinging a detector and out of sight, not next to a road, chances are you will not be found.
I remember a guy set up a home made alluvial plant, which included a car engine, next to the Oallen crossing on the Shoalhaven River . Of course he was dobbed in, the mines dept. guys turned up and told him to p*** off and work somewhere that the general public could not see him. They knew the "damage " he was doing was nothing.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

lipsmacker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:12 pm

I think you would be wasting your time detecting in that area. It was mainly reefs and some alluvial gold. There are no reports of nuggets large or small. You would have to spend a lot of time panning in dry creeks, to find anything.
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:16 pm

So your onto something then Mike! Thanks for the tip.

Back to top Go down

Gloucester NSW Empty Gold Panning around Gloucester/Copeland

Post  Calaverite Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Currently planning a panning trip around Gloucester/Copeland, hoping to camp out overnight with a fire and a few beers. I've heard fossicking in the area is now ridiculously limited. Can anyone point me to an area where panning is still legal where camping would be acceptable nearby?

Calaverite
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 pm

There was some posts 6 years ago that I was involved with . The title was Gloucester NSW have you read that ? I did pitch tent and camp over night next the Mountain Maid , they might not like that now ....

Did meet a guy that drove dozers 30 - 40 years ago in the Hunter Valley . He said he knew a guy that found gold in that area but he went into remote areas , up small creeks . I f you have limited time , I think you will be wasting your time going there . Prospecting takes a lot of time .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Gloucester NSW Empty nuggerty gold around

Post  lipsmacker Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:18 pm

i have mine books of this area been up there one mine was prince charley mine nuggets was found there the book copeland gold says a bit

lipsmacker

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-07-31

athol mclean likes this post

Back to top Go down