Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD

+4
Reg Wilson
crack-hardy
mulgadansa
The Modern Day Prospector
8 posters

Go down

COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD Empty COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD

Post  Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi all
I want to have a go at towing a 40"x20" coil behind my quad.
Lead is app 10' long.
tector is a mod 4500

I have acquired a sheet of teflon app 10mm thick as a base which I want to utilise as base plate.

Has anyone got any photos or any advice on such a system.

Will the coil still detect through the teflon sheet?. The use of the teflon was two fold--1) the weight to keep the coil down 2) protect the coil from damage.

Look forward to any positive advice on the task ahead.

Hear from u all soon.
REGARDS
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD Empty Re: COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD

Post  Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi oneday69,

Dont know much about teflon sheet, but what i did was aquired a piece of the green walkway platform you find on the mine sites. Traced the outline of my 40X20 coil on it, then got my router and cut a 15mm channel out of it. The coil sits in it perfect. This in turn sits on a 5mm piece of conveyor rubber 1.25 wide by 1.6m long. The weight of the walkway platform keeps eveything nice and flat. it glides over the spinifex beautifully. Will post some photos in next couple days.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:05 am

oneday

if its not a coiltek anti inteference drag coil forget it... period.... to much crap from the bike coil.
to test if its an anti intereference plug it in and slam the detector in cancel in ya house
if theres no target signal its a mono AND CRAP FOR THE BIKE,, if theres a signal but no lectric interference its a anti, if signal plus sh1t loads of interference its a DD AND CRAP FOR THE BIKE.

EASY WAY: get some blokes from the blind society and strap detectas to em with GPS guidance lol!

Fatguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 am

coiltek anti inteference drag coil

[img]COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD Coil[/img]

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:36 am

Smile

Last edited by The Modern Day Prospector on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:56 am

G'day Oneday69

Ismael has a fair bit of info on drag coils on his web site.

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=40

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:08 am

oneday hi
a material i can recomend is a product called LEXAN.
the stuff just dosen`t wear out. the piece i put on my commander in august is still there
cheers dave

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t5850-alternate-skid-plate#51528

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:01 am

Gday Oneday
Are you using a diesel quad? I only ask as I know a couple of blokes who have done the tow bit and they have used diesel to minimise feedback from the tow vehicle.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:32 am

Hi All
The coil is an anti interferance coil as stated by the bloke I borrowed it off.
Same as the one shown by goldnomad.
The quad is petrol--4x4 timberwolf yamy--old but good.
Will investigate the Lexan--hope bunnings has some--or will also take some conveyor rubber sliced in half--no steel

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  crack-hardy Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:27 pm

G'Day Oneday.

As mentioned in above replies, a good balance of weight allowing coil close and stable to ground along with suitable distance from bike is the go. Also make sure you keep in mind that whatever material is used to drag the coil, that it is fixed solid to bike. You dont want that material breaking and the bike dragging the coil by the lead.
Goodluck
crack-hardy
crack-hardy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Gday again Oneday,
Have you hooked the coil up to your tector and tried it near the quad with both running? Guess you'll be able to figure out a suitable length for the sled that way, if it doesn't interfere with the electronics. Try with the control box on the quad and the coil at whatever distance you intend using.
Non metallic elevator matting seems to be the go for the ones I know about.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm

cheers brett
have a piece of conveyor belt as well.
the coil has a 10' lead
regards
oneday69
ray

Back to top Go down

COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD Empty tow behind coils

Post  Reg Wilson Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 pm

A Polaris diesel ATV fitted with cutout switch to isolate the alternator will give interferance free sled detecting, provided you have noise free headphones to overcome engine noise. Recomend conveyer belt material for sled base. This system is robust and effective.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Mon May 14, 2012 5:54 pm

I dont have any pictures of the setup together, but I have an RTV 900 Kubota Diesel , and its noise free......... bloody excellent thing to use too....throw all you gear in the back and set out for the day......

I'll get some pictures of it setup next time I go out.......this is the only one I have

COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD IMG_2653

Its a powerful little thing.....it would output a small tractor.

Before I go out next, I am going to make a small stick rake to clear area's down before i go in with the 4500 where dragging is not practical....its got full hydraulics' , so its going to be pretty easy.
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbazoo Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 am

Tow a sled with the detector mounted on it. use a wireless device to send the audio to your wireless headphones. This way you can tow the detector a long way from the quad, One could mount a solenoid operated paint spray can on the sled so you can mark the ground where you heard the signal. Just a thought!

bubbazoo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:39 pm

only trouble with the spray can is that its metalic and the coil we are goin to use will pick it up no worries.

I am only goin to be driving very slow and trust me I am not interested in the sub grammers--we are only lookin for new patches..

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 am

Not sure on the Polaris alternator set up, but disconnecting the battery from an alternator while its running is not recommended. If a belt drive alternator, its still going to be producing regardless of being connected to a battery. it may not work for long tho. Laughing
And may cause more interference not being connected to a load....you'd have to check with a sparky.??

Inbuilt alternator would operate the same regardless of engine type...again check to be sure. Some self excite while others need exciting.???

A large capacitor would cut back on a lot of stray AC from getting through.
Food for thought.???
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

COILS TOWED BEHIND QUAD Empty Tow Coils

Post  Reg Wilson Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Narrawa, I'm not sure what you are not sure about. The system I have outlined has been working since I purchased my Polaris here in Ballarat in 1999. The alternater switch was installed by Westag the Polaris agent after consultation with a local auto electrician. I might point out that I have been detecting since 1979 and have been involved in development and testing ptototype detectors for Bruce Candy and Minelab Since the early 80's. Cheers and good hunting, Reg. PS Only replaced original two batteries earlier this year.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Twodogs/Dion Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:Narrawa, I'm not sure what you are not sure about. The system I have outlined has been working since I purchased my Polaris here in Ballarat in 1999. The alternater switch was installed by Westag the Polaris agent after consultation with a local auto electrician. I might point out that I have been detecting since 1979 and have been involved in development and testing ptototype detectors for Bruce Candy and Minelab Since the early 80's. Cheers and good hunting, Reg. PS Only replaced original two batteries earlier this year.

wow Reg, after reading your post I think your WAY over qualified to be giving advice on here, haha. Please come to the Pilbara and stay at my house so I can pick your brain for at least 3 months, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . You must have had some fantastic finds in your days and would be great to hear some more stuff from you. Thanks for your input mate, Dion.
PS mate, my electronic experience has all been done on detectors eg, soldering wires, fixing the old grey enhancer, coil and power leads and anything else that stuffs up in the bush, but we owned a shell servo for 25 years, ( when a servo used to work on cars, stock car parts and tyres and help people, haha ) and I understand what you say about your switch, only turning it off when you drag the coil, and on the rest of the time. That would cut out the interference while detecting then charge the batt's all other times the polaris is going. Good thinking mate.
Twodogs/Dion
Twodogs/Dion
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:07 pm

All good Reg, obviously there is no problem with disconnecting the alternators, just thought it was worthy of a mention.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 am

oneday69 if you use conveyor belting, before you start to do anything with it run your detector over it and check it for metal. Some belting that we got a hold of to use was no good. The coil picked up signal on belt. There must be various types of belt out there but the ones we could get from local earthworks mob were no good.

Back to top Go down