Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

adventures of a newbie

4 posters

Go down

adventures of a newbie Empty adventures of a newbie

Post  rutilusthesaurus Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:04 am

Things didn't take a good start for me. Today 25/11/11 I made a phonecall to Reeds prospecting to ask about my brandnew minelabs 5000 that I ordered on 14/11/11.
As always I got a friendly bloke on the line who told me it was sent on 15/11/11. He also gives me the registration number of the signed mail.
So, armed with this number I went to our local postoffice to see what happend.
Imagen my surprise when the friendly lady at the postoffice told me that it was picked up at the 18th.
So yes my friends, my expensive detector is gone with some stranger. The manager from the postoffice told me there is a chance that they can trace this person, but what if he used my detector and it got damaged? since this is only our 3th year in Australia we dont know what my rights are in this case. lets hope for the best.
( wil keep you informed how things turn out )

Regards
Rutilus

rutilusthesaurus
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

adventures of a newbie Empty Re: adventures of a newbie

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:34 am

Struth mate, Sounds like a saga. I am sure that someone's insurance is going to cover it. I wouldn't be wanting that detector but a new one that I ordered.
Not sure of the legalities of it, but I would assume that the post office would've asked for ID and a signature when it was taken.
I can't even pick up a small package here without producing my drivers licence to them.
That being the case then the PO sighted either fake ID of you or someone elses ID, what is the signature that was signed for the parcel?

I would be finding out quick smart what your options are in this case as it sounds to me like you should be the winner here.

Keep us posted...pardon the punn
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:51 am

If AU Post put the registered artical card in the wrong letterbox then it is their responsibility.
Whoever collected the item would know that it was not for them when it was unpacked or simply by looking at the TO Address. If they have kept the item then they are an a... hole and probably don't live far from you.
If the address on the card and address on the package are the same but incorrect then it is the fault of the sender so check that the sender sent the item to the correct address in the first place.

You might be lucky and the person who collected the item may return it to the post office but don't hold your breath.

Or maybe yer missus picked it up is playing a trick on ya and is making you sweat........In which case ya cn smack er around a bit........no! No! NO! dun do vat pale affraid

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

adventures of a newbie Empty Re.Adventures of a newbie.

Post  jmp333 Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:20 am

Seeing the article is registered, the collector would have to provide photo proof such as a drivers licence which the post office would write the number in the book and the name of who collected it and the collector would sign for it. They wont give the article to anyone that person has to have a document with your address on it. Do you share your house with other guys? If you call the Post Office on 131318 and tell them the story they will get an investigation going. Do Reeds insure the detector otherwise it is only covered for $100.
JMP333

jmp333
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:33 am

adventure? bit of a nightmare really and i feel sorry for you....

I hope you paid by credit card as i think you will be able to talk to your bank and do a "chargeback". While the problem may not be Reeds, you did not get the goods you paid for so are entitled to get your money back throught the credit card scheme.

The situation sounds suspicious though and yes the post office should have recorded the name and address of the person who collected it from photo ID.
The registered mail system is flwaed as anyone can get the card from your mail box, sign it over to themselves and collect it. (unless person to person registered)
The need for photo ID though should stop the fraud, but not sure what happens if say the post office is busy or showing some dodgy ID or even showing somebody elses, I mean, do they really look at the photograph and compare it to the person at the counter?

I hope it gets sorted for you quickly!

Cheers FF.

Back to top Go down

Post  rutilusthesaurus Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey guys

Thx For the reactions. As far as we now know the card for my registered sending got put in the wrong PO box, and the person who collected it

did sign for it. that's all that we know at this point. Monday I have another appointment with the manager of the post office and I can only hope he has
some good news for me.

Regards

Rutilus

rutilusthesaurus
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:39 pm

as long as the package was addressed correctly and they just put it in the wrong box I would say its their fault but if the package had your name and someone else's number on it that is a different matter because the mail goes to the address not the person who lives there !! i wish you well Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  rutilusthesaurus Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi m8

Thx for the reaction

We contacted reeds prospecting and they did a perfect job, the address was correct. so no mistakes there

Regards

Rutilus

rutilusthesaurus
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrock Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Should he report it stolen to the police?

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:27 pm

hotrock wrote:Should he report it stolen to the police?

possibly -- it could be classed as "theft by finding" Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:37 pm

Someone you know I'd say! Any friends gone on a recent holiday?
Sucks big time mate, Can only hope it works itself out in your favor, Good luck.
Cheers
Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:41 pm

someday wrote:Someone you know I'd say! Any friends gone on a recent holiday?
Sucks big time mate, Can only hope it works itself out in your favor, Good luck.
Cheers
Chris.

not really !! if you read the posts --the package was but in the wrong box at the post office and the guy just picked up all that was in that box! but he must know by now that the detector wasent his!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Your right Maruchu my mistake. but!

Back to top Go down