Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coopers tyres

+5
Narrawa
spinna
U308
artrix
harrysheroes
9 posters

Go down

coopers tyres Empty coopers tyres

Post  Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:51 pm

hi all, getting a set of new A/T tyres for the triton very very soon, wondering what the general thought is on the coopers brand. any input welcome.

thanks, doug

Back to top Go down

coopers tyres Empty Re: coopers tyres

Post  harrysheroes Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:48 pm

I have cooper STT on my 60 series they are the second set the first were ST , I have found them to be a good tyre as i have never had a flat and they live about 80 percent in the bush up here in the pilbara.

The first set i got 34000 km out of them and was disapointed with that as they claim you will get more, but then the dealer said for how they were used that was good, so dont believe the 80000km crap they tell you!

cheers
Marty
harrysheroes
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Got a memory of coopers not copping with the terrain and heat up north too well.
Might I suggest going onto a 4x4 forum and asking the question I am pretty sure it was cooper tyres.

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 am

A bit more research will probably tell you that BFG's A/T tyres are the most popular for the West. Every milkbar sells them over there.
Speaking from experience, they are a top performer off road and on

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 am

Have had three sets of coopers on the dual cab two ATR’s a set of H/T, the ATR’s scalloped the outer edges and returned 37,000 km and the H/T returned 35,000 km, 1 puncture out of the 3 sets, as artrix has said (which I tend to agree with) the tyre does not handle the heat well. Would I buy them again…. “NO”

50 to 90,000 km warranty only available in capital cities, balance and alignment checks required every 10,000kms.

Thirty odd dollars a corner to maintain the warranty every ten thousand…….. study

Giving Toyo tyres a run at present, and must say that they seem to be ticking all the boxes at this point in time.

Hope this helps doug.
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi diggerjack
You could try www.newtriton.net
This is a Triton owners forum and well worth a look at anything to do with these great machines.
Go to the Technical section and then to Tyres and Wheels
Heaps of posts as to the most appropriate tyres for your truck and other information about tyre pressures etc.
It is a bit like this forum. Many differing views, some are opinionated, but most are well informed.
Me, I am thinking at the moment to scale down to 15'' rims with a higher profile tyre.
Decisions, decisions.
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:25 pm

On my second set of Maxxis, this time i went for an off road tread pattern, the 751s i took off were more of a road tyre.
I made plenty of my own tracks through the bush with these never had a puncher.

First set ...Maxxis 751s.. traded them with about 40% tread after doing about 35k.
Time will tell if the 753s perform where it counts.???

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MT-753-Bravo-Series.aspx
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 pm

I am running hankook dynapro h/p,s on my musso. have done about 25000 k,s and the tread pattern dosnt seem to have worn down at all yet. Yes I do 4x4 driving over all sorts of terrain and they pull up well. Also very good on the tar.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:56 pm

thanks everyone for your thoughts & advice, decided to go with the coopers (only 1 way to find out for sure is to try them lol). getting them tomorrow morning. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:25 pm

well, there on. coopers a/t 3, 255/70/16, 60/40's $245 each, so far so good but lets see if they fall apart or not lol

Back to top Go down

coopers tyres Empty RE:COOPER TYRES

Post  Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Tyres that are suited to vic dont necessary cut the grass up here in the pilbara.
I am convinced some people buy tyres for the fancy white lettering on the outside.
A good tyre u may want to consider is Silverstone Tyres.
The other factor is if u r in a hot climate u might want to go with a A A rating on the tyre.

The country we traverse up here in the pilbara is suited to heavy duty 14 ply tyres or at least 10 ply tyres.
Split rims against solid rims.
We still get punctures on 14ply tyres but thats the nature of the country.
we make our own tracks up here to find some ground.

At least they r only punctures not side wall fractures.

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

coopers tyres Empty Top Tyres

Post  evan2010 Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Gday, Im with goldnomad on this one. The BF Goodrich AT tyres I run (265/75 R16) are a Very Good 4wd tyre for our Western terrain. Cheers Evan
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironstone Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey All,
I agree oneday69, People talk of tyres but don't mention ply rate,load index,light truck ETC.
talk of tyres but don't say how old they are,any tyre over 5,6 years old should not be run on rough roads as they will fail.(doesn't matter what brand),also talk of uneven wear but doesn't blame the vehicle but easier to blame the tyres not your beloved 4x4.
I use cooper st and have had a great run but are now over 6 yrs old and still heaps of tread and really even wear pattern(2004 patrol ute)2011 trip, spent 3mnths north of laverton then back east thru warburton to alice (what some people call a road lol),but before 2012 trip will replace 2 of them with cooper st maxx 265/75R16, light truck tyres, 10 ply tread and 3 ply sides,load index 123Q,one of the highest load index ratings.If you hear a tyre fails,please don't comment on coopers or any other brand without noting which tyre and how old.I was told coopers fails but ends up they where 8yr old road tyres on a car pulling a large caravan over corrugated gravel roads.If you going to bag anything,get your facts before forming a opinnion,It just might save making a fool of yourself.
Ironstone(motor mechanic,semi driver,earth mover)
Ironstone
Ironstone
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Ironstone
u r certainly on the right path..
I get them every day of the week in my workshop.
Then they winge on the cost of a good tyre that will do the trick.

I can only offer some advice--good or bad--the choice is the punter driving down the road.

Tyre retailer-trailer retailer-quad bike retailer- and now minelab detector retailer-service technician--prospector

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Most people will do there own research in regards to ply rating, load index, light truck ETC Ironstone if not they will rely on the tyre outlet’s experience/ knowledge - that’s what they are there for Yes!

Uneven wear does actually happen eg: scalloping on front wheels it is well gazetted on many forums that Cooper ATR’s do infact suffer this trait, some would be aware that loose front wheel bearings will also cause this.

It appears that you are having a good run out of your Coopers but may I suggest that one changes all four ST’s as the tyres are over 6 years old and as you have pointed out "THEY WILL FAIL", would hate to hear that you put yourself in danger of a tyre failure because you did not follow your own advise…….be safe ironstone

POI: how many Kms have you done on your ST’s

Just so you know I reserve the right to (“bag” your words) give a negative report on Cooper tyres – because the post was based on real world experience not what I had "HEARD"or was "TOLD".

And just so you know after speaking with Brisbane head office I spoke directly with Cooper tire and rubber company in the US in regards to the issues that I was having with their tyres.(positive outcome)

At the end of the day Digger Jack asked for general thoughts on the cooper brand, any input welcome - positive or negative i would have thought?

It just might save one making a fool of themselves!! Pffft Razz

Be well Ironestone. Smile
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironstone Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:52 am

To u308,
thank-you for your obvious concern about my aged tyres,I personally rotate my 6 tyres and keep them in pairs,4 were renewed (ST coopers)early this year,still have 2 (both spares) left of the original 6 that were near new on my modified (oldman emu suspesion) 2004 patrol ute when i bought it in 2006,30k klm.now 120k and all tryes replaced still had plenty of tread left but where replaced ,the last 2 will be replaced shortly with the new cooper ST maxx(10 plt with 3 ply walls,123Q rating).
My last job was for 20 yrs and well over 2 million klm's driving cement tankers and semi tippers on local work,the worldwide company had a programme (with a national trye company)for tyre wear and fuel useage.It was found that some drivers no matter what truck they drove due to BAD DRIVING HABITS caused excessive tyre wear.IMAGINE complaining to a tyre company about excessive wear when they know that the tyre wear was caused by (SHOCK HORROR )the customers BAD DRIVING habits,but most dealers would be extremely reluctant to tell there good customer that the wear was caused by these bad driving habits.Do these people look like fools ??????????????
FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
sincerely Yours
Ironstone
Ironstone
Ironstone
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post  toadskin Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Goldnomad wrote:A bit more research will probably tell you that BFG's A/T tyres are the most popular for the West. Every milkbar sells them over there.
Speaking from experience, they are a top performer off road and on

Robert

I second that. Damn good tyre, good grip and good wearing.
toadskin
toadskin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

coopers tyres Empty Cooper Tyres

Post  matelot Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:29 pm

G'day all,
I run Cooper ST's on my Troopie and tow a 20foot caravan. All up weight well over the limit. After trip to W.A. and return to QLD and 4 months in East Pilbara, no punctures and plenty of tread left. Will send them around again next year. Best tyre I ever had.

Experience: Retailer of car and truck tyres, and was the sole person responsible for aircraft wheels,tyres,and brakes on an aircraft carrier 1968/69, amongst other duties.

Regards Roger pirat
matelot
matelot
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:07 pm

HI Matelot
As I said its horses for courses and if u r satisfied with the particular tyre u run then go for it.
Places we go up here only bulldozers tread and if u have anything less than 14ply tyres u r asking for trouble.
After 30 years in the pilbara I'm still exploring another patch.

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down