Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dunolly Gold?

+3
MS
tex
Rob.B
7 posters

Go down

Dunolly Gold? Empty Dunolly Gold?

Post  Rob.B Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Is or has anybody taken any gold from Dunolly over the past 12 months.

I seem to be on the right ground, digging up bullets which is a good sign, but no smell of gold.

Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Dunolly Gold? Empty Re: Dunolly Gold?

Post  tex Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:30 pm

G’day Rob,
Haven’t heard of anyone latterly but there’s always someone finding gold around Dunolly and hopefully tomorrow it’ll be me. Packing the detector me lunch and the dog and heading there to check out a few areas for the day.
TEX.

tex
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 pm

there has been some good gold found around dunolly the last few months... people must just be holding it to them self...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Was in the Goldsearch Australia, Dunolly shop last weekend and a couple of chaps were talking about a chap who very recently found a 5 1/2oz piece who was staying in the area. (true or not ?)

Cb.

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:29 am

Hmmm wrong time of the year for Dunolly big nugget finds, just before the Easter holidays seems to be the go , you can set your watch by it
Very Happy
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:54 am

Im asking because I dont see other prospectors, & am digging up rubbish so wondered if its an area everybody else doesnt bother with.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll persist with the area a bit longer.

Rob
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bowy Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 am

there will be a few forum members sniffing around that area this weekend (with the laanecoorie meet up) - there are bound to be some reports of how they went - if you are in the area it would be great to meet up
cheers,
bowy
bowy
bowy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:14 am

I have Sunday & Monday off this week, so would be happy to join in if OK.

I followed the sign to Laancoorie yesterday, but couldnt find the town, just a very long road with farming property on each side.

Rob
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 am

For some very odd and unexplainable reason i am yet to find any gold in Dunolly? Embarassed Mad Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
I know lots of gold has been found there and some good size nuggets, but it has not delivered a single nugget for my efforts, lots of othjer operators have had the same experience as me?
I prefer Maryborough as a detecting field done OK there over the years and its just a little closer to Home!

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:38 am

I need to give Maryborough a go, but I keep being drawn toward Dunolly.... Maybe I like bullets & shell casings.

Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bowy Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 am

forum members will be coming and going from the laanecoorie caravan park - no doubt many will return as the light disappears (except for any who detect at night!) - I will be spending a lot of my time out detecting - haven't been there myself previously, so no idea how the meet up is organised - looks as if the organisation is going to be very loose - the park operator is likely to know where some of us are (I know I have indicated to them I am with the forum, and they were going to try to put some of us together) - or maybe a notice will be placed on an information board ???? looks as if we will be greatly outnumbered by water skiers but I'm tipping the gold fever in our eyes will set us apart - I will be there from friday to tuesday - looking forward to meeting fellow forum members, sharing ideas and knowledge and all things gold

cheers,
bowy
bowy
bowy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 am

When I'm at a Caravan Park in a gold mining area I always fly the Eureka Flag and I found that like minded people most times come over and say "Hello" A great way in meeting people. I won't be at the park this time as I will be coming from Maryborough each day. So if someone can fly the Eureka flag at the park, that can be our meeting point, as from Friday night that would be great.
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am

Hey Rob.B,
If your digging up bullets its a good sign that the area hasnt been detected properly. Use a big coil and search for those faint sounds mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 am

Yes Gus, thats why I keep going back. I know bullets, casings & old boot nails are a good sign.

I get a bit confused with the signals. Twice yesterday I was sure I had a faint signal as although it was faint, it was definate, but at about the 12" depth mark, the signals turn all washy (Maybe minerals), the ground had billiard ball sized bits of quartz, a clay layer, & that red rusty rock.

I just need to keep digging.

I've got my eyes open for a 20" DD coil on ebay as theres 3-4 areas I've marked on the GPS that I want to revisit. Ive given the areas a good go over with the 11" DD, but because the ground looks good, & I'm finding bullets, I want to go with a bigger coil to be sure.

When I find my 1st gold, it wont be on the forum, I'tl be in the newspaper, haha.
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Clay base

So you heard me say that Smile Smile

Rob B

Why not head out to the Control burn north of Dunolly big area to cover.

Some maps on were the Waanyara Campsite is

Big Gold country
Dunolly Gold? 3-5

Dunolly Gold? 2-6

Dunolly Gold? 4-3

Dunolly Gold? 1-10

Good luck to all that are going on the gold this long weekend in Vic
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:28 pm

hen I find my 1st gold, it wont be on the forum, I'tl be in the newspaper, haha Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:49 pm

There are a few burns in the GT the moment... cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  coles525 Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am

Good luck to everyone heading out to this area/meet over the weekend. I'll also be there, prolly wearing a PMAV hat.
coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks for the maps.

Not sure where/who mentioned the relationship between gold & clay, but I take mental notes as I read.

When you guys are in Laancoorie over the weekend, where do you plan to be detecting?

I'll be in Dunolly detecting with a larger coil, then in Bendigo Monday morning to do a 1/2 day training I got when I bought the detector.

Rob

Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 am

[quote="Rob.B"]Thanks for the maps.

When you guys are in Laancoorie over the weekend, where do you plan to be detecting?

Rob I think we may work that out on the day or the night before. In this case tonight (friday) as I don't think there is any planned agender for the weekend.

And "THANK YOU" Dave for the maps mate. I know that they will come in handy.
Cheers mate Bill
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 am

Keep at it Rob, Dunolly still produces when you put the effort in.
Heres a few I got from there a fortnight ago.

Dunolly Gold? Painswick5Nuggetsfor1Gram2011

All up 1 gram.
Cheers
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:20 pm

I got a 0.4 today at Dunolly. I know it's not big but it is still Dunolly gold Smile
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:01 pm

keep at it rob you'll find it mate, keep that coil low to the ground and ya cant go wrong...you"ll strike it mate..

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:34 pm

I did my training today & the bloke was getting small gold which my 11DD coil couldnt even register so I went and got a 10"DD eliptical.

According to the bloke (Pete - Bendigo Gold), find gold with the 10" then hit the area with a 16", so I'll try that strategy.

Gold Bank Acct: $00.00CR

Itd be good to find gold, but I dont mind if I dont... Every hour gold hunting is an hour not at work!

Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down