Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b] Shelby23

4 posters

Go down

First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b]   Shelby23 Empty First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b] Shelby23

Post  shelby23 Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Part one
Hi
While traveling on a dirt road I noticed a spot where the Road Makers were recovering Gravel.
Then a short distance past there away from the road abit my mate who was driving noticed a Dry blow Area on top of a Quartz seam.
He lives in Kalgoolie W.A.
He showed me how they layed it out with the dry blower and I listened to everything he said about this site.
As it is the first time I have seen a large dry blow opperation my mate said it was about 30 years ago since it has been worked.
There was also 4 small mines close on the other side of the road, they are recent like over the last few years.
I was lucky to be with somone who could explain is such detail and toke the time to do so.
This was my first time out on Wa soil with my detector.
As Novicely wandered out in to the Pilbura, GPS and Spare Batterys Firmly in Hand Heaps of water swinging away wildly along this seam for about 500 metres.
I was hot on the trail of a Great White Quartz Seam attacking it every time she blow out of the ground, only thing missing was a harpoon and a whailing boat "Mobi Dick Classic".
The frist time to WA Queenslander in me had of course standard attire Runners SHORTS short sleave shirt and a bigger hat than I usualy ware because I was i WA.
Comming up to my first problem was this sharp spiky clumps of crap every where giving the Bare legs a good scraching and Small trees like Roses Bushers that sccrached uncovered arms but nothing was going to stop me on my first detect in the Pilbura WA.
I think the gold heard me stopping around and toke of for safty but then Griding and any disapline goes out the window on the first exciting swing, wild time out in Marble Bar.
The cristals amonst the quartz were good looking but I didnt want to be wieghted down by them, I was saving my self for all of the gold I will find, "Says I"
I had my large Patch finder coil on and with my Hip Stick I bought just before I come here.
I was swinging wildly, my GPX4500 Setting -- Very Slow -- must have been working over time keeping up like I cared, any cheek and it would have got the back of my hand.
I Paid $4000 bucks for this hunk of Junk so it was keep up or go home.
My settings were perfict thanks to a mate, for the area.
I also was keeping the road in sight on my GPS when I had had enough I headed to it and walked along it back to camphow handy was that.

Part 2
Hi
Well as the heat was rising on the Property I was staying on.
I only had one mornings detecting that I enjoyed.

I realized the heat was getting a bit much when I made a cheese sandwich, 2 slices on the plate then buttered and cut cheese to put on to bread, put together then I bit into a toasted dried out sandwich.

So it was Time to retire to the safety of the Marble Bar Pub and Air coned Room for a few days of chatting to the Locals at the bar.
I listened to a few great blokes at the Pub who were easy to get in a shout of drinks with so the conversation flowed easily about prospecting in the area and of course a few good stories.

I went for a walk up to the Marble Bar Caravan Park from the Pub to see what it was like.

I found there was only one caravan left in the park, I later found out he was the last, lone Detectors left from this season and was detecting in the 4 mile a few Kms south of Marble Bar where he found a few specimens and a few small nuggets.

While sitting in the bar the fellow from the last caravan in the Caravan Park came rushing in to the bar franticly asking any one in the bar where any gold spots are, much to the amusement off the locals.

I offered him a map I had that I received from a old local prospector with lots of gold spots on it, as he passed away just after he gave it to me.
It was a sure bet, for fifty Dollars to cover my costs, it didn’t work as I never had enough time to soak it in tea and iron it so it would look older burn around the edges, instant treasure map.

He was bragging loudly that he had a GPX5000 and had only found a small amount of gold and a few species.

He said if he didn't find any more gold soon he was going to have to move on.

It was in the tone that you use when you are saying "that will teach you" If I leave your all going to miss out on me being here.

There was a blank look from the locals.

So he rushes out of the bar saying he knows where the gold is, it’s on the road he is going down tomorrow down towards Nallagine way they found a 33oz Nugget and another smaller one down that way this season
So with his carton of beer totally surrounded in his own importance he rushes off.
I sorter hoped he find’s gold, I liked his energy and enthusiasm, It’s the same devotion to prospecting I have read in Books like Gympie Gold Rush, Palmer River Gold Rush and there is untolled numbers of books on WA Gold rushes.

Regards Neale

Last edited by shelby23 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New Part 2 installment of Marble Bar Pub)

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b]   Shelby23 Empty Pilbura

Post  hookey13 Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Shelby 23
I'm waiting for the rest of your story. It all sounded perfect. What happened next? Any finds surely! What was the mineralisation like in Pilbura?
Hookey
hookey13
hookey13
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b]   Shelby23 Empty Re: First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b] Shelby23

Post  goldendream Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks for the great report Shelby23.Its a good read.I'm waiting for your next instalment where you find lots of nuggets.

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b]   Shelby23 Empty Re: First trip out in the Pilbura WA Part 1.. [b]Updated Part 2[/b] Shelby23

Post  shelby23 Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 am

Hi
I am writing part 3 just doing some research and found some interesting things.
Regards Neale

Last edited by shelby23 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Shelby, when is part 3 due out? I am enjoying the story. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:11 am

its a great story on many levels! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi
Thank you for your reply and kind words part 3 is coming soon.
I found more interesting information about the Quartz seam I was detecting.
This is the property I was staying on in the Marble Bar area of the Pilbura W.A.
This needs some more research on Google Earth.
I have a gold bearing quartz seam on my property in Queensland.
I am amazed that it has the same characteristics as the quartz seam I was detecting in W.A a few weeks ago.
So when I go back in April May 2012 I will have a great place to start with my GPX4500.
You have got to love this hobby
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down