Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting.

+8
mariner3800
Harb
geof_junk
Acan
Universal1
Bullet
koeh
coles525
12 posters

Go down

New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting. Empty New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting.

Post  coles525 Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Just wondering what suggestions anyone has with brands / types of camping tents?

Right now I've got a 5 person tent which I'm finding hard/confusing to setup (especially the "waterproof cover"), which I think is coleman brand. It is a few years old now, in which we have junk collection next week.

rules:
1) Not hard to setup for only 1 person (me!)
2) Fits more then 1
3) Enough room for detecting items (2 detectors / pan(s) / maby other new things like hot water items and bbq stuff
4) "Waterproof cover" is easy as, fits into place (via original tent pegs holding tent down) and tells ya which side goes in which direction! {better still, not needed, as the tent itself is waterproof!}
5) Cost (cheapish) / warrenty (longer then 12 months!)

Would also be good to stand up in!

I'm looking at the following sites: rays outdoors, aussie isposals, anaconda...
coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting. Empty Re: New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting.

Post  koeh Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Here is a link

http://www.desertdwellers.com.au/tents.php

I had a quick look and their site redirects you to other brands of tent manufactures to give you some more options.

Desert dwellers also have their own brand of an all natural fly repellent in roll on and cream, the geo's used it when I was working out at the mines as the flies were pretty bad.

cheers

koeh
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting. Empty Re: New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting.

Post  Bullet Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Check this out, hope the link works if not, google EPE tents and have a look at the Sahara model. I just bought one, got sick of the coleman dome and messing with poles and detachable fly. Theres enough room in the Sahara for 2 people. ya take it out of the bag and let it go. watch the vid.

http://www.epeglobal.com/content/speedy-sahara-3-man-tent

Theres a mob in QLD who sells them on ebay, mine cost $267, I think they may be a bit more now.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:55 pm

forgot to say, ya can't stand up in it. Bent over a bit but depends what ya need for the scrub. And plenty of room for ya detector which is the bit that needs protecting.

bullet

PS. and its water proof, held down with 4 pegs and has 4 guy lines.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Universal1 Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

We use a BlackWolf tent, you can set it up easily within 5minutes, good quality.

Here's a link to their website, you can get some good deals on Ebay as well.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/products.php?category_id=2
Universal1
Universal1
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Acan Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Blackwolf offer a great stable tent and quick to put up.

Another easier and great tent is Oztent 30 second tent.

Web link -

http://au.oztent.com/products/default.asp?CategoryID=1

All the best. Acan jocolor

Acan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm

I got a blackwolf turbo. great quality and good package (bag,pegs and rope)

30 second tent great unit, but check out size when packed will not fit in a lot of cars (too long)

Hope this helps.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Universal1 Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 pm

geof_junk wrote:
30 second tent great unit, but check out size when packed will not fit in a lot of cars (too long)

Same reason why we went for the Blackwolf rather than the Oztent, the Oztent packed is just to long to fit into car (Pajero).
Universal1
Universal1
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:41 pm

OzTent just wack in on the roof rack if need be...couple of sky bars would do.
It is the easiest best tent I have ever had....and I have had a few Smile
We have the RV5 now even though we only sleep 2 in it....just love the room and the fact you can easy stan up in it
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 am

Hi Coles525,

I would have a look at the 30 Sec Tent. I have seen them demonstrated at several caming shows and if I was to ever buy a tent again ( no chance since I got the van and would never go back ) I would buy one of these.

I have had them all over thears, but I think the 30 Sec Tent fints the following conditions.

Very easy to set up
Canvas is good quality and the fittings looked OK
Plenty of room for 2-3 plus gear.
Not to heavy
Back the 4WD right up to it

I have seen the on Ebay, just google 30 sec tent

good luck

Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:26 am

if you're on a budget this is an excellent tent,
just came back from a trip with it and no complaints....
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Wild-Country-240-Tourer-Tent.aspx?pid=252814&menuFrom=1021186#Description
cheers
bedrock
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting. Empty Tents

Post  getascripter Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 pm

I'm a tent dweller too when I'm away.
I have two tents, both of which I bought on eBay ... brand new & less than half the price that they were in the retail stores (Sth Aust)
I did ALL of my checking out on the business websites ... and then spent hours on eBay, making sure that I got the best tent at the best price.
In the end I bought a 2 man tent which fits perfectly on the back of my traytop ute for when it is wet, or I'm just staying for a night or two. I also bought a 9 man tent (which is actually only a 6 man tent at best!) and that is perfect for a week or more stay!
I'm 58yrs female and am always on my own when I go detecting ........ both are really easy pop-up style tents that I can handle by myself.
I bought the OZTRAIL SEASCAPE 3 ROOM FAMILY DOME CAMPING TENT (9man) for $179 Retails for over $600
The two man tent cost me $40
It takes a bit of time and effort to get the bargains on eBay ... but well worth the effort!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

New tent suggestions - Camping while detecting. Empty Black Wolf and the Nullabor

Post  grunt Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Yes, I purchased a Black Wolf after looking at it being put up and down on the net.
App $400.00 and cant wait to sleep in it , after I bag some meteorites..laughs.
grunt
grunt
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:11 am

Check out Coleman instant up tents, similar to black wolf but cheaper. I got a 6 person through Gumtree and a seller in Clayton for a very good price. Careful of packed up length though, long, but not as long as the 60 sec tents.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down