Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Threshold, Straight out of the Box!

+3
lbg dreamer
hoolahoopa
Joblo
7 posters

Go down

No Threshold, Straight out of the Box! Empty No Threshold, Straight out of the Box!

Post  Joblo Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Put my Brand Spanking 5000 together over the weekend and managed to take it out for a test run today on some farm land.
I left everything at the default settings but could not here any threshold, no matter where the threshold knob was.
It squawked when passed over my pick and managed to find a heap of nails and farm junk buried in the area but regardless of the setting changes I made I could not get a noise out of it without passing it over a target.
The threshold knob seemed to have no effect at all, and in the end I tried pretty much everything.
Just thought I’d ask you People of the world what your opinion is (I may just be an incompetent idiot).
I am a bit of a voyeur when it comes to this Forum but hopefully will start contributing as much as I am consuming.
Will give Minelab a ring tomorrow to organise getting it fixed I think?
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

No Threshold, Straight out of the Box! Empty Re: No Threshold, Straight out of the Box!

Post  hoolahoopa Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Send it straight back mate you will only be with out it for a week or so or even better go see the shop you bought it from and ask for a replacement. Thats what i would try.
cheers
hoolahoopa

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

No Threshold, Straight out of the Box! Empty Re: No Threshold, Straight out of the Box!

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:16 pm

my 5 took 6 weeks to get back from doc minelab so ask around first. lot a money for something u cant use

Back to top Go down

Post  lbg dreamer Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:05 pm

hi mate im only a newby 17 months detecting, so maybe i shouldnt comment , Embarassed but have you tried another set of headphones or speaker maybe they are faulty and a simple fix , Suspect as maybe they will pick up other loud signals but not the threshhold, or maybe your power lead hope i have helped as i dont know much on problem shooting but thats what i would try : Smile regards lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:59 pm

I know how you feel Joblo, and it's not a good feeling!
When I was having issues with my 5000 from new I was amazed at how many 5000 owners where given duds! Check out other detecting forums, the problem is wide spread.
Minelab know, but like everything these days "It's under warranty" We'll fix when someone complains?
$6500.00 for a couple of hundred bucks worth of electronics?? Oh, and there name!

Back to top Go down

Post  Joblo Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks for your comments everybody.
Tried a different Coil, Earphones and Battery today. Still No Love!!
Will Put the control Box in the Post tomorrow.

It is disappointing to spend that much cash on the Bee’s Knees of detectors only to be let down by the manufacturing and quality control process. Let’s hope Minelab make it up to us with their spectacular customer service!

Anyways, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joblo Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Got my Baby back today.
Seems to be doing everything its supposed to.
Found a heap more iron and the threshold is now audible.
Will post some of my finds when I find something worth posting.
Cheers
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi Joblo, out of interest was your 5000 made in Malaysia or was it made in Australia? I believe the 5000 Someday had problems with was one of the earlier Australian mades....look on the end flap of your 5000 box it will clearly state where it was made. Perhaps we should build up a profile here of where the ones are made that give problems,particularly new out of the box..... Thanks..Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Joblo Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 am

Was made in Malaysia.
I did get it from the US.
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  marty Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:17 am

Hi Joblo,you said that you bought it in the US, did Minelab cover the warranty OK?

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  flying kiwi Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:56 am

how hard is it to bench test the thing to make sure it actualy works prior to putting it in a box and selling it? all that is is poor QA!! Mad

I know ML have a real good name for fixing problems ASAP but in my view that is the Ambulance at the bottom of the cliff mentality, its to late

rant over
flying kiwi
flying kiwi
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Joblo Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:10 pm

I had somebody buy it as a "gift" for me in the US when the exchange rate got to 1.09 USD for 1 AUD.
I paid $5133 AUD for the machine but was hit with an unavoidable $600 in Duty when it came through customs.

I did get the Doc’s Gold screamer, 2 extra batteries, a 15 by 12 Inch commander coil, Soft Padded Carry Bag, Heavy Duty Lower Shaft, Extra Heavy Duty Power Cord, Control Box Cover, Plastic Scoop, 2 x Minelab Baseball Cap and a small gold nugget thrown in though.

The extra’s sold it for me and I must say that the longer lower shaft is a necessity for anybody 6ft or taller, it would be unusable for me otherwise.

Minelab fixed my dodgy GPX 5000 and had it back to me within 48hrs. I may be unhappy with their quality control, but I sure can’t complain about their customer service.
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:44 pm

With all the extra's you got, it was a bargain at that price!
Good to see all is well with your 5000.

Back to top Go down

Post  GottalovetheAU Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Joblo wrote:Put my Brand Spanking 5000 together over the weekend and managed to take it out for a test run today on some farm land.
I left everything at the default settings but could not here any threshold, no matter where the threshold knob was.
It squawked when passed over my pick and managed to find a heap of nails and farm junk buried in the area but regardless of the setting changes I made I could not get a noise out of it without passing it over a target.
The threshold knob seemed to have no effect at all, and in the end I tried pretty much everything.
Just thought I’d ask you People of the world what your opinion is (I may just be an incompetent idiot).
I am a bit of a voyeur when it comes to this Forum but hopefully will start contributing as much as I am consuming.
Will give Minelab a ring tomorrow to organise getting it fixed I think?

I would have thought that would be good, lol.

The treshold tone not being audible unless you hit a target would be a lot more easy on the ears. But yes obviously something was up with it. Glad it's all fixed for you.

GottalovetheAU
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-09-30

Back to top Go down

No Threshold, Straight out of the Box! Empty RE: No Threshold, Straight out of the Box!

Post  domenico670 Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:50 am

I bought my new gpx 5000 a week ago. Same problem, no threshold at all!
5 years ago i bought a new Explorer II, the back-light did not work!

I wonder if Minelab knows the meaning of "quality" !!! I'm not sure if i'll buy Minelab again....

domenico670

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down