Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zed with no threshold

+4
IGotBigNuggets
kon61
Jims Gold
slimpickens
8 posters

Go down

Zed with no threshold Empty Zed with no threshold

Post  slimpickens Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Has anyone tried to run their GPZed's without any threshold?
Can you turn the threshold completely down so you can't hear it.?
Does it still pick up targets?

Last edited by slimpickens on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Zed with no threshold Empty Re: Zed with no threshold

Post  Jims Gold Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:47 pm

I turned my threshold down 'cause it was annoying me but it made the signal much weaker so I turned it back up so I would guess that turning it off would lose your signal.

Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Jims Gold wrote:I turned my threshold down 'cause it was annoying me but it made the signal much weaker so I turned it back up so I would guess that turning it off would lose your signal.

Jim
Thanks Jim, what I meant to say was turning it down till you can't hear it. Thanks for picking that mistake up, I've now corrected it.
Cheers, Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:44 pm

You thinking of trying Bogene's settings on it Harry?
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:25 pm

alchemist wrote:You thinking of trying Bogene's settings on it Harry?

Well yes, I'd like someone with a GPZed to try them. Jims Gold said the low threshold lost him some signal strength. Last trip out I used them on my 4500 and couldn't quite believe how quiet the machine ran and yet the signals still bellowed in. But I don't know if I lost any depth while using those settings.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Bogene's settings?....how old are you fossils?....I thought apart from Bogene and myself no one would remember his no threshold settings.....that was way back originally with his 4500...and then onto his 5000..I detected with Bogene in the GT a few times when he first demonstrated his 'unique' setting to me...and it did work...and more to the point he did find gold....he has a nice little collection...for an old bloke..lol.....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 pm

How old are we Larry? I was playing around using so called "Bogenes" settings from the days of the SD 2100 release,especially when I couldn't be bothered going back to the car changing coils (to a DD) when going over some hotter ground,using monos.
You could say not very old. T25 I'll accept fossils though.Q35

Cheers Kon. T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm

larry303 wrote:Bogene's settings?....how old are you fossils?....I thought apart from Bogene and myself no one would remember his no threshold settings.....that was way back originally with his 4500...and then onto his 5000..I detected with Bogene in the GT a few times when he first demonstrated his 'unique' setting to me...and it did work...and more to the point he did find gold....he has a nice little collection...for an old bloke..lol.....Hoo Roo

Whadya mean how old are we? Why, why, why, you young whipper snapper!
Here's a little video of myself  sneakin up on me dog,  Bast*rd stole me fibula!   Miki!  come here you little **&^%% !

Zed with no threshold Big-skeleton
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Lol.....Bogene and I picked up the first two Garrett Infiniums that came into Australia in 2002..that's when I first met him at The Gold Mining Centre Adelaide and we learnt on the Infinium together...my point being the Infinium runs dead quiet,no sound, until it hits a target....that's where/why he worked out the idea of no threshold, dead quiet on the 4000 when he first got it and used it in W.A. with success..then on the 4500 and 5000....
.He's in his 80's now and would put most of us to shame with his goldfield fitness.....he goes all day.....I take all day to go.......Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 pm

I tried this setting on the weekend and turned down the threshold till I could no longer hear it turned up the volume and sensitivity. I could hear the target EASILY on my test patch in mineralised ground.

Next time out in the field when I get a faint target I will test these settings to see if it makes any difference. The manual states setting the threshold too low will cause small or deep targets to not be sufficient to hear. I found no such thing as yet.

Audio smoothing ( Off, Low, High ) is also another setting I wish to explore further with targets at depth. I found it made no difference to shallow targets other than with high audio smoothing targets stood out very clear.

Still learning.

IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:02 pm

IGBN, I was just thinking that having no threshold might get rid of that faint warbling noise some ZED owners are experiencing.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:04 pm

All good here, no warble. Thankfully.
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Bogenes settings involved the use of a booster, and the internal hum from it when it was raised above normal settings.
Threshold is also a form of volume. A booster can raise this even when its turned right down....but its still a form of threshold.

Threshold works from having the floor raised above a certain point.....if there is no threshold to be raised, there is nothing to alert you of changing conditions. Condition one...target that is so minute, but not minute enough to not alter the thresh. If there was no thresh, how could this minute alteration in the audio, alert.?

No disrespect intended to Bogene, but there are multiple settings which find gold. My settings being as close to the guy down the roads settings...are still different no matter how you look at it. The beauty of ML detectors is this...they are so forgiving when it comes to settings....thats why FP settings find gold....along with all the different settings many of us use that differ.

A point that could be argued till the cows come home, however your friendly ML engineer has equipment far beyond that of mortal man. Your manual give you a very good representation of why threshold is used. Its your choice whether you feel your better than the R&D that went into writing it.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  ruffles Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 pm

There is more than one way to skin a cat Wink

ruffles
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:17 am

Narrawa, I remember Bogene using exterior speaker/s....I never knew where he was when he was using no threshold as unless there was a target there was no sound from him....he always knew where I was.....as I used normal settings....remarkable thing was he was deadly on very small gold so whatever he was doing it was working for him...don't think he missed much....over in the West he invariably did better than the others with him using 'his' settings....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:05 am

Narrawa wrote:Bogenes settings involved the use of a booster, and the internal hum from it when it was raised above normal settings.
Threshold is also a form of volume. A booster can raise this even when its turned right down....but its still a form of threshold.

Threshold works from having the floor raised above a certain point.....if there is no threshold to be raised, there is nothing to alert you of changing conditions. Condition one...target that is so minute, but not minute enough to not alter the thresh. If there was no thresh, how could this minute alteration in the audio, alert.?

No disrespect intended to Bogene, but there are multiple settings which find gold. My settings being as close to the guy down the roads settings...are still different no matter how you look at it. The beauty of ML detectors is this...they are so forgiving when it comes to settings....thats why FP settings find gold....along with all the different settings many of us use that differ.

A point that could be argued till the cows come home, however your friendly ML engineer has equipment far beyond that of mortal man.  Your manual give you a very good representation of why threshold is used. Its your choice whether you feel your better than the R&D that went into writing it.

Your correct ' well said !   Very Happy

Jack .
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:53 am

Memory lane, there's some real gems down Finders way.
Many a good read if you've time to spare.

http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3442
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:34 am

Narrawa wrote:  
A point that could be argued till the cows come home, however your friendly ML engineer has equipment far beyond that of mortal man.  Your manual give you a very good representation of why threshold is used. Its your choice whether you feel your better than the R&D that went into writing it.

Fair go Padre, I ain't no blasphemer, I believe what it says in the good book (4500 manual) Q10  absolutely. I'm just thinking ( yes I know, that's my first problem) that there might be some areas where the machine won't shut up no matter what you try, where a very, very, low threshold might be useful to cut the gallimaufry (ok I'm just showing off here) of noises.  If the threshold is a form of volume,........ then why do the signals still ping loudly?

Peace be upon you (and your detector)
Your humble student, Harry.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 am

Alchemist...that thread link you posted were the days...several of those posters have now unfortunately passed to the goldfields above.....I notice I stuck my beak in that old thread more than once as well in support of Bogene.....at least everyone essentially posted with good will and good intentions in those days IMO...with less of the tricky dickie hidden agendas of today...Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:01 am

larry303 wrote:Alchemist...that thread link you posted were the days...several of those posters have now unfortunately passed to the goldfields above.....I notice I stuck my beak in that old thread more than once as well in support of Bogene.....at least everyone essentially posted with good will and good intentions in those days IMO...with less of the tricky dickie hidden agendas of today...Hoo Roo

Too true Larry, there's some good info on the old pages, I hope the site stays up for many years to come.
It's interesting to look back there at the 4000s release and how many were sticking to the 3500s
History does repeat.
Cheers
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down