Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wheel nuts on mag wheels

3 posters

Go down

wheel nuts on mag wheels  Empty wheel nuts on mag wheels

Post  malcolm mclean Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:39 am

had new tyres fitted to mag wheels on au ford one nut had been cross treaded so a new stud fitted and though about the spear rim and tyre this being a steel rim was told that the mag wheel nuts may not fit the steel rims can any one give me advice ex kiwi afro

malcolm mclean
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Back to top Go down

wheel nuts on mag wheels  Empty Re: wheel nuts on mag wheels

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  flying kiwi Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:36 pm

being an ex-kiwi myself Cool i thought i better post as well

the nuts for your mags are different to those for std rims, swap out your spare for a another mag or grab a handfull of nuts to suit your rim watever works for ya. it will prob bolt up but for how long is the question Question better to sus out now than on the side of the road...... in the rain...... at night........ etc........ etc.....

cheers
flying kiwi
flying kiwi
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 pm

thought i better jump on board being " another " ex kiwi Cool
Two different types of wheel nuts - the tapered seat wheel nut suits the steel rim & the long barrel flat seat wheel nut suits the alloy mag ...
As already stated - either carry 5 tapered seat wheel nuts in your glovebox to suit your spare or change out the spare to suit the mags .... Go the mighty ALL BLACKS !!! cheers
cheers
gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Mag wheel nuts will seat a steel rim, but wouldn't drive over 80kph.
The problem is not with the wheels nuts but with the actual studs. From factory an AU Falcon with alloy wheels will have wheel studs approx 25mm longer than those for steel rims. Therefore the wheel nuts for alloy rims will run out of thread before they seat the rim.Someone may have done a dodgy as your spare should be alloy if alloys were factory fitment. As stated you'll have to get a set of 5 standard wheel nuts to be on the safe side.
You would be surprised also how many wheels come adrift due to the rim centres not seating on the hub centres.

Back to top Go down

Post  malcolm mclean Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 am

hi prospekta thanks for imfo will get new set of nuts i bought the ute new so what you say about having a spear mag is this true i also bought a new ally craft boat 4.35 and dundier multi roller trailer with 50 yamaha and notice that the tyres on the where not new / also no spear tyre and rim /$240 extra also though i could go to wreakers and get one bought one but woud not fit because dunbier make there own rims they are narrower than normal so any time any one thinking of buying a trailer be it boat /or box chech first ex kiwi afro ps/ the mags where fords

malcolm mclean
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  malcolm mclean Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am

hi gully hunter thanks for yor replymate its good to a forum like this one everone has different back ground be work or play a answer is only a click away /////// now about those mighty ALL BLACKS affraid affraid affraid afro ex kiwi where did you live in NZ i came from dunedin my dad had hoiday home in luggate central otago good gold country there bro ///// go you mighty _ _ _ _ ks time to go gully hunter dont want to stir to much elephant elephant elephant afro

malcolm mclean
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down