Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeling Depressed?

+16
piston broke
Rege-PA
madmax800
rc62burke
Tributer
Rtanweb
TheH0ward
goinbush
GoldstalkerGPX
mariner3800
the speciman
Nature_Pete
ROCKDOC69
picknshuffle
rarebreed
lbg dreamer
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Feeling Depressed? Empty Feeling Depressed?

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 pm

i don't know if any have done this befor, i drove to the spot i wonted to try out and just looked at it while i was still in the car then i just kept driving around in the bush, i didn't even detect the area as it didn't even worry me if i did or not. i drove to anther spot where i have found gold and had a 30 min detect and thought bugger this i'm going home. i don't know why i'm thinking this way, it could be that i'm sick off picking up the small ones or is it that i'm not getting much as i use to....i don't know .... i don't know if i should just have a break from it for a few weeks or so and hope that's not the end off it....has anyone gone through this befor?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Feeling Depressed? Empty Re: Feeling Depressed?

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah stoppsy I've had that feeling plently of times.

Especially when I walk past the sink full of dirty dishes, the pile of dirty clothes in the laundry, the car that needs a wash, the lawn that needs mowing, and the weeds that need spraying Very Happy

keep ya chin up stoppsy- the feeling will pass and you will be "chaffing at the bit" to get back out and into it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Cheer up stoppsy. I don't think there would be to many prospectors out there that don't go through this stage from time to time!
I've been going through this same scenario for the past 4 months, plan to detect a location, get up early, do the road trip, Once you arrive the thought of rigging yourself up with the detector seems to loose it's appeal, and the detector stays in the car 90% of the time Sad
The lonely road of prospecting on your own!

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Feeling Depressed? Empty dont give up mate

Post  lbg dreamer Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:06 pm

hi stoppsy i am only new to detecting , i purchased a whites gmt , and put a lot of hours in and for 12 months and found no gold just heaps of trash, Sad so i decided to upgrade to a 4500 , Twisted Evil and on my 3rd trip out found my first nugget and over the last 6 months i have been really struggling , i have managed 7 grams but i am very in experianced and just about need to stub my toe on it to find a nugget lol! i would love to have a little of your knowledge and experiance, Embarassed you are one of the nembers of this forum that keep me and probally other new members and prospectors as keen as we are with your posts and pictures of your finds, Very Happy maybe the big ones are sitting in one of the spots that you have been avoiding , or have driven past and thought to yourself self that looks like a good spot ill have to try that one and never have, Twisted Evil good luck and i hope you find those big ones stoppsy because you deserve too Very Happy regards pete
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  rarebreed Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:14 pm

I find it gets a little depressing after going to spots that have loads of trash or a local area that you visit regularly (same area/locale)
Mostly the reason i like prospecting is to get out in the bush to remove myself from the daily grind, i like it that my attention is only focused on the hum of the detector and nothing else.

But like a lot of things i think it's even better when the experience is shared with friends and or family, Perhaps you need a detecting buddy Razz
Hope you find the passion again soon mate Smile

Cheers
rarebreed
rarebreed
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Stoppsy mate I have had that feeling as well through the years, but the best way I found to get going again is to team it up with a few mates and head out to a spot and have fun. We take 2way radio's out as well and keep in touch with each other. Mateship is a great way of getting over the blues. When I get up there we'll plan on getting out detecting sometimes. I,m hoping it shouldn't be long now before I'm up.

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:27 pm

FB lol! i'm the same with the stuff that has to be done around the house...

someday, i don't know as i love been out by my self most off the time i hope it's just a thing that will pass so i can get back into it. i know people would love to find what i have found over the few months i have been detecting but for some reason i'v just lost the rush off finding it at the moment..

lbg dreamer, thanks for the kind words i just hope it blows over and i hope when i find some again i get that big rush like it was my first one again...

rarebreed, wombat. i'v have 2 detector mates and it's is great to have them but i get to that stage now and then when i love been out by my self. i have loved showing people the ins and outs off detecting (well enough to get them going) but when i have found a few bits i just haven't had that rush...i think it's just because off the size off the gold. i know it sounds stupid...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Stoppsy, I don't know how anyone keeps going out with the little crumbs of gold that are left in a lot of places. All that digging with so little result. Evil or Very Mad
Then everyone here says how wonderful the little bits are and sometimes I think 'Huh? but they were so much work and took so long to find - where are the big bits?'.

Maybe you need to take a little break, get some of the other jobs done to feel better, and save up to go WEST Twisted Evil for a trip? That would sure be exciting. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  picknshuffle Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Feeling Depressed? Winston+Churchill+Inspirational

Fo’ when the black dog crush your vest,
Take a nip,
Mister,
You’ll earn the rest
Fo’ kith, ‘n kin, and hearth, and valor
Blood, sweat, tears, toil, guts and pallor
Take a nip, and tuck it in
and face the belt, like Gunga Din
So’s brace yourself,
with all your might
With one good drink,
For ONE more fight.
picknshuffle
picknshuffle
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Feeling Depressed? Empty 'Break is as good as a holiday'

Post  ROCKDOC69 Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Stoppsy,
You def need a break..Absence makes the heart grow fonder- appllies to everything in all our lives.
sunny
You'll know when its been long enough, you'll be eager ato get back into it. cheers
Maybe its something thats going around at the moment, went out yesterday and after 3 hours didn't want to dig another signal..felt that flat was planning to sell the GPX. 24hours later want to get back out there!! lol!
ROCKDOC69
ROCKDOC69
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2011-04-21

http://www.russellhalden.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Stoppsy, mate been there. It will pass. cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:59 pm

stopsy it will pass but it is a bugger when it sets in !! remember every day you open your eyes is a good day!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Murachu wrote:...remember every day you open your eyes is a good day!! Very Happy
Hay thanks for the uplifting thought Marachu, from everyone reading this! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:54 pm

stoppsy wrote: i just haven't had that rush...i think it's just because off the size off the gold. i know it sounds stupid...cheers stoppsy

Stoppsy I think your looking at it the wrong way mate. The thrill is in the chase, not the find. If its the find/size then you will be dissapointed fairly often because there are hundreds of small bits for every big bit.

Remember that just one small nugget can lead to patch or a big one. We have been out detecting for the past 10 days and 6 days ago one little nugget led us to a patch of 95 nuggets for 65 grams, and the tally for 10 days is 118 nuggets for 75 grams.

So it's the chase where you should get some satisfaction and when that nugget is in the bottle just say thanks and then the chase starts again, and enjoy what your doing Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:31 pm

stoppsy wrote:had a 30 min detect and thought bugger this i'm going home.

has that ever happened to me?
yeh , about every 5th day i go out.
but i`m always back out there the next day,because i really do love it.(and i think you do too)
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:36 pm

davsgold wrote:
stoppsy wrote: i just haven't had that rush...i think it's just because off the size off the gold. i know it sounds stupid...cheers stoppsy

Stoppsy I think your looking at it the wrong way mate. The thrill is in the chase, not the find. If its the find/size then you will be dissapointed fairly often because there are hundreds of small bits for every big bit.

Remember that just one small nugget can lead to patch or a big one. We have been out detecting for the past 10 days and 6 days ago one little nugget led us to a patch of 95 nuggets for 65 grams, and the tally for 10 days is 118 nuggets for 75 grams.

So it's the chase where you should get some satisfaction and when that nugget is in the bottle just say thanks and then the chase starts again, and enjoy what your doing Very Happy

cheers dave
sounds like use are on a good run, that's true but i have just lost it at the moment, i know there's 1000 small bits to one big bit as i have been told...i'm glad that others have said they have gone through this as well and have kept going, as i thought it might have just been me thinking stupid thoughts.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:38 pm

phoenix wrote:

but i`m always back out there the next day,because i really do love it.(and i think you do too)
cheers dave
hey mate, i do love it but i might stay home tomorrow and just have a weekend away from it and see how i go next weekend...
thanks mate
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 pm

stoppsy wrote:
hey mate, i do love it but i might stay home tomorrow and just have a weekend away from it and see how i go next weekend...
thanks mate
cheers
stoppsy
thats the go mate.
have a break. if its got your name on it you will find it next week or next month or next year.
if its got YOUR name on it I couldn`t find it if it was dropped it in my hand.(i really believe that)
cheers dave

Last edited by phoenix on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:59 pm

stoppsy wrote:
phoenix wrote:

cheers dave
thanks mate
cheers
stoppsy

I think if that is what you feel is needed, then follow that instinct, a passtime should never be forced.

Afterall, you'll be driving along some idle Tuesday arvo, taking the longer road home (through the diggings) and glance out the window to hear it calling to you. Then you'll hear the little voice that says so sweetly:

"Go on, you know you want to ... "

Follow your gut, the 'rush' will return, but for the moment, just relax and don't stress over it.

Enjoy all that life has to offer Wink

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

P.S. I have always said that it was adventure that drew me into the bush, but the bush itself that makes me return everytime, as it's always an adventure, no matter what I'm doing out there Very Happy bounce Wink
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:07 pm

on a lighter note.
here is a good sign
cheers dave

Feeling Depressed? Unledwpam

Back to top Go down

Post  the speciman Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:19 pm

GDAY STOPPSY
have a break and go fishin the urge will come back when you here of people finding 40 ounce chunks like someone here in the pilbarra did last week
good scratchin
cheers the speciman
(ps i went out today six hours nothin but a staked tyre (200$) but i will be back out there tommorow)

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi Stoppsy,

Couldn't agree more with Wombat, find a friend or two and make it a bit of fun. Take a break, do something differ.net for the next two weeks and then see if the itch is still there, you will know

Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Stoppsy, Pack your fav. rod, lures and drive to Charlton and flick lures for half a day and I bet by the time you are ready to come home you'll be wishin' you weren't fishn' Laughing

I did that not long ago, walkin' around the bush thinkin I should be fishin, after takin the boy out for a fish I thought, I should've went tectin' Razz
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 pm

hey goldstalkerGPX, i might just kick back for a bit and learn a few more songs on the guitar and see how i go next weekend.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  goinbush Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:39 am

Think how lucky you are mate you only have to almost walk out your door and your on gold bearing ground. Say you lived in Melbourne as i do two hours each way traveling , fuel, wear and tear on your car ,time spent trying to find good ground do i need to go on , then who says your going to get any gold for the day .Have a think about this and i hope it puts a better spin on how your feeling at the moment Cheers Goinbush

goinbush
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi Stoppsy,
It it wonderful to read replies from fellow members here.Usually when we feel down there is the need to talk to someone.
Usually in our city folks busy lifestyle we do not have that person/friend as they are always "busy".
I am not sure how many members are altogether here but no one of us has a same reason to go detecting.Finding gold its probably one similar reason but deeper reasons are different.
I have been detecting only few times so far and was fortunate to meet few guys from this forum including yourself.
I have a feeling i have been here for years. As Peter said this is a pastime, it is not a job.
Hobby is something we like and there are thousands of hobbies around. We are very fortunate that we can have a one job and then use our spare time to pursue our hobbies/interests.Few billion people on earth have quite different "lifestyle".
When you feel little bit out stop and think and see how fortunate you are.(and most of us).
If someone told me few years ago that i will spend my weekend in the bush i would tell them they are crazy.My fear of all little creatures there don't feel me comfortable to pursue this hobby as something i would enjoy.
But i don't go alone and so far has been 3 times and always had a company with me.Its great and i feel little bit more better in the bush.
I am not into detecting to make money and most hobbies in life COST money.As others member suggested you are lucky you live in a triangle, you might think we are lucky cos we live in the city.
Do the thinks in life you feel like (if you can).If you feel like going fishing go, if you feel like going detecting go.Nothing forced is enjoyable.
Yesterday i went detecting and took both my boys (14 and 12) with me.Met with Ruffles and Dingo and had a great time.Drove extra 200 km just to hire another detector for my son.He had a go for probably 1 hour (and then spend time sleeping in the car).I have not find any gold yesterday,but time i spend with fellow detectors and time with boys driving home and them talking with me all the way about the day was priceless.Forget about the gold.That's GOLD for me.( if little bit of yellow turns up its just a bonus).
By the way thanks Dingo and Ruffles for a wonderful day.

Cheer up, life is good.Make most of it.
If you need a company sometimes let me know, its only around 2 hours drive for me.If you need a city break you are more then welcome to visit.(I am free on weekends).Always have extra room/food and drinks for good people).

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:24 pm

That is a lovely post golden Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:56 pm

thanks golden, i don't know i didn't even wont to go out today so i just kicked back listeng to music and playing the guitar. i done some thinking today about why.... i know it's nothing to do with traveling to areas or how close i am to the good spots, when i first started i had to be out there as much as i could (8 to 12 hrs days and a few 5 hour days) it didn't worry me if i found any or a few small bits it was the fun off been out there. i don't know if i just lost that or it's something else, i was talking to a member off the forum down the street and when he was telling me the storys off his findings i realy got the bug nipping in and couldn't get out fast enough, but even just befor getting to the area i just lost all that feeling off even trying. i'll just have a few days or so away from it and hope it blows over..
cheers
stoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:18 am

Stoppsy,

Yeah. that feeling of apathy comes about sometimes. Better yet, ever wanted to wrap your detector around a tree with one forcefull blow? I did, more than ones. If it did not cost THAT much, i swear i would have.

What helps? I might be an incurable romantic, but
I sit and listen to the forest, and think about the "old timers". And the strange bond i feel with thouse people.
Who were, in 1850's, the true and original Diggers.

Cant help but think - i will never be as poor as they were, or as hungry, or as powerless.
But i will also never be as brave as they were, as strong, or as driven.
They did Eureka! Anyone here is prepared to face the government army to protect your rights? I did not think so...
I whinge and tire digging 2 foot hole. Next to a 2 meter hole dug by an old timer.

I like callig myself a Prospector. But its a badge of honor too. Got to earn it.
Thats what inspires me, and i start detecting properly, and sometimes even "get some". Smile

--------------
on a purely practical side of things, i find that a change is good for morale. Go to a new town/goldfield. Preferrably thats diffrent geologicaly as well. Change is as good as a holiday, right?

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:25 am

Rtanweb wrote:

Better yet, ever wanted to wrap your detector around a tree with one forcefull blow?

i`ve lost count of the number of times i`ve wanted to do that

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next