Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

battery life

4 posters

Go down

battery life Empty battery life

Post  buck06 Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 pm

went out on the weekend and my battery on my 4500 only lasted 4to 5 hr ????? when i charged it i left the head phones pluged it would this effected the charge or is the battery on its way out ?? can i test the battery in any way please help cheers buck Question Question Question
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

battery life Empty Re: battery life

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56 pm

The headphones are on a different circuit to the charging so that wont be an issue! How olds your 45, did you own it from new, how many times has it been charged?
Having dealt with Lithium iron battery's on other equipment, and I'll get shot down here! On average 1000 charges before there longativity falls below par, then falls and keeps on falling! Running these battery's flat can reduce there life to only one charge, cuput!
Cheers~Chris. Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  buck06 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:20 pm

owned it from new since they were released sent battery back to minelab last yearfor test with control box all checked out ok . seems strang e it just droped charge yet it was fine the week before?? what is a new battery worth? cheers buck
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  buck06 Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 pm

just noticed someday you come from wang lived there for a while and played footy for tarra great place cheers buck Cool Cool Cool
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

battery life Empty Battery life

Post  sandy2010 Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 am

Hi buck,
I test my battery with a 12 volt car globe....amp meter shows a draw of 1.2 amps.......I then check the voltage every hour as a health check.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  hassa Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Didn't have it sitting on concreat floor when it was charging did you that is not good for any battery??????
hassa
hassa
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

The Facts: A battery naturally self-discharges at a rate of 1-60% every month. The rate depends largely on the type of car battery and the temperature in its environment. If the temperature in the storage area is high, the battery will self-discharge faster.

It also does not matter if the battery is sitting on a concrete floor. An old myth that is still doing the rounds says that car batteries will discharge faster when stored on concrete.
auto batteries myths and facts

This myth was based on car batteries that were used in the 1900s which were contained in wood boxes that were usually lined with tar. This material is porous and the external leakage of batteries simply made them discharge faster, making car owners think that the concrete floor was the culprit. Today's batteries, however, are covered by cases made from hard rubber or polypropylene, which helps protect them from any potential external leakages.

http://carbatteriesaustralia.com.au/car_battery_myths_part_1.html

http://www.thebatteryterminal.com/TechTalk_Batteries_on_Concrete.htm

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down