Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE )

4 posters

Go down

My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE ) Empty My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE )

Post  Balony Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 pm

My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE ) MyPictures255
It all started back in the day when the SD2200 were on fire. I planned a trip to GOLDEN VALLEY. A mate of mine was returning home the day i headed out, i passed him on the highway, pulled up and had a show and tell session, i couldnt believe my eyes when he showed me a slab of gold the size of a domino piece, wow that just got my blood pumping,i was so keen to get out there to find mine, said im off to find a bigger one, ( wishfull thinking ), it took roughly about an hour & half to get there driving through the scrub, finnaly got there and had know idea where to camp, it was such a big place and it was my second time out here, so i drove around for a bit and come across an area that had been scraped, probably around 50m radius spiral sort of scrape, thought to my self, self someone must of found something here, this will do. I parked up and i just had to start swinging, said to myself ill find a nugget then set up camp, sounded good to me anyway, it took me about ten min to get a signal just on the edge of a wind row, thought this is it its got to be gold and bugger me it was a nugget, around one & half grams, i was so happy, so that was it back to the car and set up camp under a nice gum tree, cracked a beer and turned on the footy, sat down for about an hour cleaned and starred at my gold couple more beers, it was now time to go for it, i suited up walked to the top of the scrape, and turned on, i was swinging a 11" mono with sd2200, walking down the middle of the scrape only five minutes in, i got this loud signal and thought bugger a bullet on the surface, scraped away the surface it was still there, grabbed my pick took off about two inches and it was still there and loud, thought yeah great someone done an oil change here and ive found the filter, let me tell you it was hard ground i took my gear off dug down another six inches or so and it was screaming that loud i couldnt wear the headfones, this was really making me think what the hell is going on here, i dug down close to a foot deep with a big pile of dirt next to the hole, waved the dish over the hole know signal, i looked at the pile of dirt thinking well i cant see any filters, as i swung the dish over the pile and a big clump of red solid clay rolled off the top and back into the hole, i remeber sayin to myself ha ha imagine if it was that, another swing over the pile and not a sound, looked at the hole and said no way, grabbed that clump and it felt really heavy yeah right its a big clump of lead, i broke off a piece of clay and holy **** i seen the colour of gold, seriously i didnt know what to do, i sat down broke all the clay off and there it was a 2oz nugget, my first big nugget, i actually put on top of the pile of dirt and sat there for about half an hour just starring at it, i got my self together walked back to camp which was only 40m away cleaned it up put it on the table sang and danced and yes i had a few more beers that night believe me. What a trip ill never forget it, as it turned out when i got home it did weigh in heavier than my mates. And if you hold it the right way it looks like Herbie.
I hope you enjoyed my story, i did.
Cheers Balony
Balony
Balony
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE ) Empty Re: My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE )

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:54 pm

great story......thanks for sharing it

Back to top Go down

My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE ) Empty Gday

Post  Balony Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Gday glad you liked it.
question where did you find i cant seem to locate it.
Balony
Balony
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Balony wrote:Gday glad you liked it.
question where did you find i cant seem to locate it.

found it here
GPX5000 & 4800...straight under general in the main board area (home)
cheers

Back to top Go down

My two 2oz nugget named ( HERBIE ) Empty Yep

Post  Balony Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Found it after i sent it
Balony
Balony
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:17 pm

good one BALONEY, guess the picture is a bit blurred because your watery eyes thought it was in focus.
or was it from all the beer Very Happy

what a hobby, nobody can take that memory away from you.

my first significant nugs was a 24gram piece, which i found down about two feet, under a burnt out stump.
i, being a newchum to the game, had been digging the charcoal sound, but the deeper i got the better it sounded.

it was about a hour before sundown, there were several other detectorites around, so i guarded that spot with my life until everybody else had gone home. i was back out there several hours before the sun came up the next morning. what a night that was. phoned the missus to tell her the news, i think she had spent ten or twenty thousand of my get, in her mind (thank god).

no more big ones, but i did find a few smaller pieces, so i was happy/disappointed/happy ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I could kiss that 2 ouncer all day Balony. Sheeza beauty.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 pm

I loved the story

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down