Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold bearing ground?

2 posters

Go down

Gold bearing ground? Empty Gold bearing ground?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi guys, On a recent outing I found quarts coated with a black mineral, my best guess is the black mineral is Pyrolusite.
The mineral has only recently seen the light of day due to road works.
Researching the mineral it has been associated with gold finds overseas.
There's no mention of it being associated with gold in Australia. My discovery is almost at road level, cutting into the hill side which is heavily overgrown with bracken and blackberry's, and it appears to run at about 40 ish deg's, so it's still well hidden.
Does anyone have any information regarding Pyrolusite and it's possible association with gold.

Back to top Go down

Gold bearing ground? Empty Re: Gold bearing ground?

Post  shelby23 Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi tried Google?

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi shelby, Yep tried Google and as always I seem to go from bad to worst!

Back to top Go down

Gold bearing ground? Empty re gold bearing ground

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi, out of curiosity does the quartz have any colour to it or is it white? I have found in my limited time fossiking that it the quartz has some colour, ie. red, blue or green then is more chance of finding the good stuff. Cheers Wal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 am

The quarts is basically white with no sign of copper sulfate. However it's the very outer edge of the vein that has been exposed due to the track cutting the edge of the gully. So the vein would be running very deep into the hill and deep under the road.
If I could find some positive info "one way or the other" Meaning forget about it, or delve deeper.
May well be nothing BUT, emphasis on the BUT part.

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 am

G'day someday, With my limited knowledge of pyrolusite, which is next to none it could be a varity of minerals, maybe rutile, or one of the many other types of black sands. The key question here is that you were on an outing, so I am presuming a gold hunting outing??
If this is so that means that you are already in gold bearing country, so my answer would be without a doubt investigate it. If it is a type of HMC it is going to play mary hell with your detector, black sands are everywhere and are not always associated with gold but neither is quartz or ironstone either. But as I've said if you are in gold bearing regions, get on it!!!

Good luck.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Thank's Goldstalker, No I wasn't out prospecting, I was visiting a friend who's drive way was being washed away, so he called in a grader.
Some places to me simply feel like gold should be near, so as always I slow right down and keep a sharp eye on the edges of roads/tracks for different rock type's. He's totally boring 4k drive way shows bugger all except this one spot where the grader cambered the road only just revealing this vain of sorts. I took a couple of samples home trying to determine what I found. Like I said the best I could come up with is Pyrolusite which is an oxide of Manganese.
I took the detector and nothing, I couldn't get a good go due to all the overgrowth, so I figure the best bet is to try and find out more about it before I go and strip his land?
Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi Someday

Is there any chance you could post a clear photo to help
with identifying the samples, also what was the "country" rock it
was found in.

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Gold bearing ground? Empty OMG

Post  Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Sorry guys.
We only recently moved, and I have no idea where the camera cords are! I'm still looking. cyclops

Back to top Go down

Gold bearing ground? Empty O,M,G

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm sorry I found my camera cord's, what the F, on adding images. Like everything, when you know how it's easy!
I'll get there, but not today or maybe not to, well you know. I will do it.

Back to top Go down