Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent Pilbara Trip

5 posters

Go down

Recent Pilbara Trip Empty Recent Pilbara Trip

Post  rarebreed Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Hey there guys,
Well I just got back from my Pilbara trip, It was a fantastic adventure.
We saw a lot of amazing land and awesome storms, we got in a bit of prospecting as well Razz

The trip consisted of myself my father and my Wife.

We headed off from Perth via the Great Northern Hwy heading inland. Our first stop was Cue and as we expected it was HOT lol!
We got there at about 2pm I suppose, set up camp and then had a wonder around, the ground looked amazing, Gold country for sure. We swung the stick till the sunset, finding nothing but bullets and junk we decided to call it a day and were even more determined to get colour the following day.

We got up early packed up camp and drove to another spot just down the road that looked promising, spend some time in the area, alas we found nothing but bullets, so we decided to get back onto the trail and continue heading north.
Back on the HWY we decided to take a small detour to have a little look around another location near Meekatharra, Alas nothing turned up in this area either, We weren't having much luck at all, so we continued on heading north.

We got into Newman and setup camp just in time to watch the afternoon storm roll through. The next day we decided to go into Karajini, We spent the night there and had a look around the gorges, It's very pretty all through that way.

Anyways we wanted to head over to the cane River and Pannawonica, But the millsteam road was closed because of the rain so we have to over to karratha and then back down, We knew some great spots in karratha to swing the stick but decided to bypass them and head straight to panna instead, we spent the next 4 days or so in the area trying out new location's trying to hit onto a patch but did no good, only picking up one small bit.

We decided to leave and have a look further down around cane river, alas spending the day around the area turned up nothing. The water and heavy mineralization was playing havoc with us, even in enhanced Soil/timing with low RX and stab.

We thought a change was in order and headed into Coral Bay for a bit of a swim and a place to stay the night. Up early and then down to Nanutarra to try our luck.
We were once again disappointed. We decided to head back home to Perth after that.

The trip was about Exploration mostly as we wanted to try and find some new spots, though we didn't find really anything worthy to write home about it was a great experience and a great trip.
I have added some pictures of our Adventure, There was water everywhere it was an amazing site to behold. Nice and hot, i think our coolest day we got was 36, The worse day we had was in Cue i would have to say, The nights were very hot as well, 30+ at night and hot wind all night Smile

Cheers Guys.

Recent Pilbara Trip Th_pilbarastorm
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_panskyJPG
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_P1170061
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_newman
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_kari
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_cue2
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_cue3
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_cane1
Recent Pilbara Trip Th_gold

rarebreed
rarebreed
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Recent Pilbara Trip Empty Re: Recent Pilbara Trip

Post  TheH0ward Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

hiya rarebreed

thats a good post. thanks for sharing that with us all Smile I dont think id like my coolest day to be 36 degrees though, hehehe. And hey, 1 bit is better than no bits! Well done on that Smile

cheers
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Recent Pilbara Trip Empty hey there rarebreed

Post  madmaverick Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 pm

sounds like a great trip had by all,, at least you found a little bit, and didn't go home empty handed lol,, thanks for the post and pics

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Pannawonica was the spot I wanted to look at 2 years ago. Did not get there just by-passed it on the way down the coast but was told petrol was the cheapest in the state. Thanks for your photos and post.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  rarebreed Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 pm

It's amazing at some of the ground out Panna way.
We saw thunder eggs everywhere in one spot, lots of quartz/iron stone conglomerates and crystal formations etc.
Apparently there is an old diamond mine out the back somewhere as well, though we never did stumble across it.

The ground looks like there had been some crazy activity on it in the past Smile
rarebreed
rarebreed
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Balony Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Gday
You should have stopped for a swing in Karratha there is some good gold to be found here, would like to chat to you about some Karratha locations maybe swap some info spots ect, up to you of course, im starting up a Detecting Club here soon with some friends hopefully it will take off.
Hope to talk soon.
Balony
Balony
Balony
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down