Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRACKING OR FIXED ON A GPX

4 posters

Go down

TRACKING OR FIXED ON A GPX Empty TRACKING OR FIXED ON A GPX

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi,

I heard a whisper that one should run a GPX in tracking ( FROM SOME GURU ) , myself i have always run my 4000 in fixed.

Run it in tradking the last few swings & it runs real smooth & finding it.

Any opions?

DINGO

Back to top Go down

TRACKING OR FIXED ON A GPX Empty Re: TRACKING OR FIXED ON A GPX

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Fixed mate & balance often
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:19 pm

you'll be missing targets in tracking mate run it in fixed...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:06 am

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:Fixed mate & balance often

totally agree there.

Pete in wa Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 am

Thats how i do it,

Try Tracking you might be suprised.

DINGO

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 am

If you're running in Normal timing then there's no reason why you can't use tracking if the tracking speed has been selected as medium. Fast tracking speed runs the risk of removing a deeper target in a swing or two. If I use Normal timing then I generally run tracking as above.

Enhance or Smooth timings should be run in Fixed as the manual suggests. I know Ararat Gold runs tracking in these modes and is successful, but I'd suggest that on some of the nuggets I've dug when the signal was just a bare threshold change, I firmly believe that tracking mode would have removed them. The next signal like that I get I will do a comparison to see. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:46 am

Qld Sandy wrote:If you're running in Normal timing then there's no reason why you can't use tracking if the tracking speed has been selected as medium. Fast tracking speed runs the risk of removing a deeper target in a swing or two. If I use Normal timing then I generally run tracking as above.

Enhance or Smooth timings should be run in Fixed as the manual suggests. I know Ararat Gold runs tracking in these modes and is successful, but I'd suggest that on some of the nuggets I've dug when the signal was just a bare threshold change, I firmly believe that tracking mode would have removed them. The next signal like that I get I will do a comparison to see. Cheers.

Agree with all of the above. Couple of exceptions though. If running a small mono (8" and down) in Fine Gold timings in really shallow very hot ground where lots of little bits reside Tracking can help with some of the hotter sections. I used this method a while back in WA and it worked a treat especially in combination with the Boost audio filter, but beware if the ground gets much deeper than a few inches it is probably best to stick to Fixed GB and re balance often. In one case the ground so so mineralised (heavily metamorphosed Chlorite Schist) I had to revert to a larger 11" Commander mono coil as the 8" was saturating, I could have gone to Enhance but felt the trade off from the 8" coil in FG to Enhance was more than going to a larger coil allowing the inductance to deal with the mineralisation whilst taking advantage of the FG timings.

On another note, finding a target in Fixed and then checking the target in Tracking is not the best way to check if Tracking is costing performance. It will give you a bit of an idea of how much signal is lost due to Tracking mode but not a true indication as you already know the target is there. Best way is to go over a spot in Tracking first then re-run the ground in Fixed to see what has been missed. You would be surprised at the amount of "noise" you will ignore when you get in the habit of allowing Tracking to make decisions for you.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

TRACKING OR FIXED ON A GPX Empty QLD

Post  hotrockgarry Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:52 am

H i JP , Sorry for the hijack , wondering about how clermont is fairing with the floods ( as we all know what happend there in 1916 ) Sad , any progress on the DVD .

hotrockgarry
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 am

hotrockgarry wrote:H i JP , Sorry for the hijack , wondering about how clermont is fairing with the floods ( as we all know what happend there in 1916 ) Sad , any progress on the DVD .

Clermont is fine except for the bloomin grass, DVD is progressing slowly but steadily. :-( Thanks for asking.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Guys,
I always use my detector in Tracking so does that mean that I have missed some of the gold that would be deeper?
uncle bob

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote: You would be surprised at the amount of "noise" you will ignore when you get in the habit of allowing Tracking to make decisions for you.

JP

Isn't that the truth. On our Crystal patch lower end in the 3500 days (you've know the spot JP), I ignored a slight response on 2 occasions, dismissing it as ground noise as it was gone in 2 passes on both occasions. Using the 20" mono coil one day, I dug everything that murmured until I hit this target. First thoughts was "That's that damned ground noise again", but I decided to dig it anyway.

From a mere 16" came a solid 67grammer. It must have been lying on it's edge to give such a small response for a target that size at such a small depth. I had ignored it twice. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 am

i use to run tracking on the 4000 and i did find most off my gold with it set like this... then i was told i should be using fixed as i could be missing a lot off targets.... but since i'v been running it in fixed i have only found 2 bits... i'm running a 14" N/F coil. i'll put it back to tracking to see how i go back over some off the grounds i'v been...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:18 am

stoppsy wrote:i use to run tracking on the 4000 and i did find most off my gold with it set like this... then i was told i should be using fixed as i could be missing a lot off targets.... but since i'v been running it in fixed i have only found 2 bits... i'm running a 14" N/F coil. i'll put it back to tracking to see how i go back over some off the grounds i'v been...
cheers
stoppsy

If you are using the Sensitive Smooth timings of the GPX-4000 then it is recommended you keep your detector in Fixed GB. If using Normal or Sensitive Xtra or Salt then it is OK to use Tracking with the recommended Medium speed.

The reason you should use Fixed with the Smooth timings is due to the timing removing the bulk of the ground signal and also some of the target signal, using Tracking mode you run the risk of removing even more signal response thereby potentially missing gold nuggets especially at depth. It is for these same reasons it is not recommended to use a DD coil in DD mode in combination with Smooth or any of the "Smooth Class" of timings.

Hope this helps

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am

thanks JP, i run most times i run these settings....speed slow, motion very slow, signal 16, extra sesitive, deep in audio, and on soil timings i run sensitive, maual tune 96 to 110... this is when i run the detector in tracking..... but with the other settings tracking speed slow, motion very slow, signal 16, smooth, quiet only when the grounds are bad then i run it in fixed i have the gain on 10 and no lower...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down