Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New book on Big cats

+9
TheGoldenChild
gollstar
gibbs
Reno Chris
Narrawa
kon61
Nebuchadnezzar
CJ
granite2
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New book on Big cats - Page 2 Empty Re: New book on Big cats

Post  Reno Chris Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:45 am

Seriously though...if we have Pigmy Hippos and American Alligators wandering about out scrub, a large imported American Mountian Lion is no big stretch of the imagination

OK, I think its clear to me now. If you spend enough time in the hot Aussie outback with the sun beating down on your head, with little or no water, flies in every orifice - no matter if you are smoking stuff or eating mystical mushsrooms, you'll start to see things. Lions, tigers and bears, pygmy hippos and Alligators, pink elephants, purple Pumas and mauve panthers, orange cougars, space aliens and maybe even a dancing brontosaurus or two.

Looking forward to my time in the Aussie outback later this year - who knows what I will see!
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 am

I was reading up about the goldfields in Vic and there was a story of a family that where traveling from Melbourne to somwhere by horse carriage, they said they had to spend the night in the bush and that the kids had to sleep in the carriage and the fire had to be kept going to keep away the cats ??? that was in the 1850's 0r 60's now i dont think they where worried about a little stray cat dragging off the kids. and they didnt say dogs they said cats.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:57 am

You guys are hard to convince, so here's the proof, Pic of local Cougar in my neck of the woods.

New book on Big cats - Page 2 Untitled
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:19 am

Yeah Stoppsy I do carry my camera with me now a lot of the time. Trouble is you never have it when you need it.
At the same time I don't need proof. I know what I saw and don't question my neighbours credibility either. I am not trying to convince anyone let alone skeptics like renochris. Frankly I couldn't care less what he thinks. And I wouldn't want any crazy idiots coming around with guns trying to be a hero if they knew they were around here. We already have freaks coming in asking if we have any deer here (which we do) wanting to shoot them. I am always alert when I walk in my bush now and at least the dogs come with me. Makes me feel more at ease.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:34 am

Yep! big cats do exist, seen this b**t**d playing with one of its cubs the other day.

New book on Big cats - Page 2 Fatcatbaby
Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:50 am

Yes I must agree, There is nothing quite like being woken up in the we hours of the morning by a Wild Pussy Very Happy
Just a distant memory now Sad but I "KNOW" it happened,so I don't need belief Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:07 am

Panther wrote:Yeah Stoppsy I do carry my camera with me now a lot of the time. Trouble is you never have it when you need it.
At the same time I don't need proof. I know what I saw and don't question my neighbours credibility either. I am not trying to convince anyone let alone skeptics like renochris. Frankly I couldn't care less what he thinks. And I wouldn't want any crazy idiots coming around with guns trying to be a hero if they knew they were around here. We already have freaks coming in asking if we have any deer here (which we do) wanting to shoot them. I am always alert when I walk in my bush now and at least the dogs come with me. Makes me feel more at ease.

Panther
some people will hang it on people that say they have seen these cats, but i would love to see there face if they seen one....i reckon it would be awesome to see one off these cats.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 pm

actually Chris... a few months back two hunters in the NT shot what they though was a wild boar. When they got up to it, it was actually a Pigmy Hippo.
Down here on the Sth coast of NSW, not far from me an American Alligator was captured after it wandered into a families camp site last year.
Both these incidents were factual and well publicized, completed with photos

http://www.news.com.au/national/pygmy-hippopotamus-shot-during-northern-territory-hunting-trip/story-e6frfkvr-1225798038412

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/4043706/American-alligator-found-in-Australia-mystifies-experts.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:12 pm

thanks for that madtuna, i never new about these, it just go's to show what is out there....
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Reno Chris wrote:
Seriously though...if we have Pigmy Hippos and American Alligators wandering about out scrub, a large imported American Mountian Lion is no big stretch of the imagination

OK, I think its clear to me now. If you spend enough time in the hot Aussie outback with the sun beating down on your head, with little or no water, flies in every orifice - no matter if you are smoking stuff or eating mystical mushsrooms, you'll start to see things. Lions, tigers and bears, pygmy hippos and Alligators, pink elephants, purple Pumas and mauve panthers, orange cougars, space aliens and maybe even a dancing brontosaurus or two.

Looking forward to my time in the Aussie outback later this year - who knows what I will see!

Watch out for the drop Bears mate , they are seriously bad news affraid Very Happy Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Your all worried over a few small pussy cats, those poor buggers in QLD have bigger problems, one that is very well documented as well.

A rouge bear thats partial to alcohol, has been sighted around the central QLD districts for many years.

New book on Big cats - Page 2 Bundy-Bear
New book on Big cats - Page 2 BundyBear
lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey dude!!
That bear is a real Cool Cat Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  ozestrange Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm

A book full of speculation, rumour and legend.

Have you actually read it.? Smile
Watch...

It tells you nothing other than there are fully grown people out there who believe in Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and any other legend/myth that comes along.

Many people who have no idea what they are talking about often feel compelled to prove they are "rational" and that they know "everything"..
Its a defense mechanism.. Smile
We all want a world that is safe and rational.
The real world is often not like that.

I can't prove that such an animal doesn't exist in this country any more than they can prove there is. Until a carcase is found and DNA done on it I am one of the disbelievers.

Err..wrong..wrong..wrong..
Until a carcase was found eh..!!
On page 21 of the book you have not read....on a subject you dont know anything about..there is a photo of a lioness that was shot outside Broken Hill that was seen by truck drivers and police munching on a sheep in the scrub.
This was in 1985.!
Now unless you believe that a lioness is native to Australia... Smile
There is more to heaven and earth Horatio...

ozestrange
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:06 pm

That some deluded person has written a book does not make it real. If the carcase of a big cat such as a lion, tiger or mountain lion was found it would make national news for a week. Some people will believe anything except that which is rational. Rolling Eyes You only have to see how many people read their stars in the paper every day and firmly believe in them. Others firmly believe they will win Lotto even though the chances are around 8 million to one. You only have to look on-line to see how many irrational people there are in the world. Razz

However, if you wish to believe in irrational stories of big cats then please be my guest, you are fooling no one but yourself and it is a very cheap form of amusement. Sleep
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  ozestrange Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:55 pm

That some deluded person has written a book does not make it real.

Ad hominem and a an illogical straw man argument..
Your not very good at being a consistent "sceptic" are you. Smile
That a deluded know it all..thinks a body on the table..is not evidence..is..just..sad.. Smile
Several photos are in the book with SGT Holmes posing with the lioness....

If the carcase of a big cat such as a lion, tiger or mountain lion was found it would make national news for a week.

Fail twice..
It was in the local regional papers.
What you trying to say is..because you did not read it, it did not happen.
Very poor reasoning..sense of humour perhaps.. Smile

Some people will believe anything except that which is rational.

Fail 3 times.
Yet you can be irrational and try and argue against a body on the table with photos and witness statements and not mind looking like a bit of a goose at the same time.
And still talk about being rational..LOL

You only have to look on-line to see how many irrational people there are in the world.

Fail 4 times
Yup..I am chatting to one now..you wanted a body..you got it.
And you tried,badly, to weasel out of that as well because..drum roll..you didnt read that regional paper that day.
You have got to be kidding.. LOL
So you didnt want any actual proof did you..it was just pretending.
If you had a shred of honesty and sanity(and you were actually logical) you would have admitted you were wrong.
And you were wrong big time..
And...using the word "rational" and being rational are not the same thing..are ya following tiger.. ? Smile

However, if you wish to believe in irrational stories of big cats then please be my guest, you are fooling no one but yourself and it is a very cheap form of amusement.

But..a body on the table..is not a "story"...
What part of that does not seep through into your "brain"..? Smile
Good luck eating the humble pie..and next time..dont pretend you want evidence, while you are pretending to be some font of knowledge, because someone else will just run rings around you..again..
The end..it was fun..

ozestrange
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm

The story or little Red Riding Hood is in a book with pictures to, but there's no SGT Holmes posing with any or the three bears??
Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:52 pm

There used to be three bears......Now there is hundreds of them
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:54 pm

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:There used to be three bears......Now there is hundreds of them
So not only did she break enter and steal....she Shocked Shocked ??? no way!!! affraid
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:57 pm

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:There used to be three bears......Now there is hundreds of them

Just drop bears I reckon won't do ya no harm

Back to top Go down

Post  musso Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Ozestrange, you have 2 posts on this board.
Both of them inciteful rants against another members point of view.
Are you another regular member here just hiding your identity, or just one of the usual board trolls? Sleep
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 am

Ozestrange, you sound like one of the book's authors who has trouble accepting that people might be sceptical about a subject that's very controversial. People love legends and stories and that's what this subject is largely about.

You said that a article appeared about a lion's carcass in a local newspaper, and yet you hadn't provided any supporting evidence. Which paper? What's the exact date the article appeared? Post a link or part-copy of the article if you can. Or is this in the book and we should buy it to find out. Book sales a bit slow? And even if such an article did exist, are we to simply accept it as Gospel. Newspapers are not known for accuracy, or even honesty. They sell stories.

Ad hominem and a an illogical straw man argument..
Your not very good at being a consistent "sceptic" are you.
That a deluded know it all..thinks a body on the table..is not evidence..is..just..sad..

Good one. A silly, senseless reply. And yet you resort to the same tactics in a pathetic attempt to prove a point.

Granite has been trudging around through the bush for 30 odd years, so I think his opinion should count for something.

Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 am

I withdraw from this thread.
Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm

2 true but granite led an all out attack first and in the end he got owned.

chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:58 pm

I for one will buy this book. What's it called and where can I get it. Does it cover the previous 1980's book topic about there being no such thing as a black panther as they are either black puma's or jaguars? There is no such a thing as a black panter. That name was made up for a black movement group in the us and a many years ago.
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  musso Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Depends on who you ask I spose, Wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Oh good at least they are not calling them a breed of their own. They just have a pigment problem.
The original book was called "A Savage Shaddow." Wholey and soley about the Australian black panther sightings and evidence collected to that date. Interesting stuff.
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 am

granite2 wrote:there are fully grown people out there who believe in Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and any other legend/myth that comes along.

For those that dont know a tooth fairy is not a gay dentist.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2