Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cc pick or walco

+5
madmaverick
evan2010
HueyDuck
GoldstalkerGPX
TheH0ward
9 posters

Go down

cc pick or walco Empty cc pick or walco

Post  TheH0ward Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:20 pm

i need to buy a pick... nothing too heavy cos im only little but what would be the best buy?
I only get out bush once a month so dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on something i'll barely scratch but need something more decent than what i have.
All advice appreciated.... cheers Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

cc pick or walco Empty Re: cc pick or walco

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 pm

walco sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:13 pm

G'day, I have read that a few had problems with the head of the pick comming loose on the cc, not sure if this has been rectified or not, they do come in different sizes and weights as do other brands as well.

have a look at 'malleeboy picks'

I'm not sure of the breed of mine (bought it at coiltek) but for the size of it, it is light, it did break in half but I gave it a quick talking to with the mig and has not givin up the ghost yet. You will find picks that will not cost the earth and a few under 100 clams.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Ho....Hi,

Go the Walco, ive got the large one...very well constructed and i can lug this thing around all day, but being a little lady go the small one....It will last a long time....

HueyDuck....
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:54 pm

alrighty, thanks all Smile just have to head to MD before my trip now (unlikely, lol).

Very Happy thanks again
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 pm

walco for sure

Back to top Go down

cc pick or walco Empty cc or walco

Post  evan2010 Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 am

I have'nt used a cc pick as it was a little overpriced. So i got a walco one for $70 and it has well and truly earned its keep during last year. It scraped and smashed its way thru plenty of dirt n hard ground to retrieve many a golden prize and plenty of not so golden ones aswell. And after all of that, still looks as sturdy and capable as the day i bought it.
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Last edited by madtuna on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

cc pick or walco Empty hi everyone

Post  madmaverick Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 pm

these maleeboy picks,, where are they available from,, can't even find a reference on google,, is the spelling right ???

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi MM... www.nuggetsfromdownunder.com.au
Mudgee NSW but they do mail order

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Walco is better value imho, and are lighter for the size. I use them (got a small one and the larger one, sizes 1 and 3 i think.)

CC picks look like they will be better at breaking up conlgomerates and other really hard ground.

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:58 pm

got a walco. On the bigger side but i wanted a longer handle so i didnt have to keep bending while scraping junk off the surface. Bad back you see (need a new job No ). Will see how i go dragging it around for 8 hours, lol.

Thanks all for the advice Smile cheers
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Iv been using a Malleeboy pick now for a few years, and when you lay into the earth with these things it causes the San Andreas Fault to vibrate a tad. affraid
Even the folk from Newcastle pause when where out detecting. pale

I sh!t you not, these things are the Snap-on of picks, and are right up their with Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Holden Cars !!
If your not swinging a Malleeboy pick then your wearing a dress! Razz Speaking of wearing a dress, my Missus uses a Malleeboy pick to, its shorter then the Arni Cool version but dainty it aint! when she swings this thing into Terra Firma, ground dwelling rodents tremble in fear! and thats not all, i was told by a crippled guy the other day, that his condition was caused by a Malleeboy pick, yep!... he hit himself in the leg with it, and it broke his back as well, lost his leg tho...i said ya bloody lucky it didn't shatter every bone in ya body!! ...to right he said!

In fact i heard that Malleeboy picks are so good, their wanted by law enforcement. Who was telling me the Army are trying to get their hands on them also?? .....scratch cant remember doesn't matter!

Oh! by the way....the sword in the stone from biblical times was actually a malleeboy pick! Shocked

Ay Wassy, my new Malleeboy picks going to have one of those fluro handles... aint that right?

TTYL
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Narrawa that's a pretty good wrap for malleeboy picks Twisted Evil

I haven't seen one in the flesh, good spot not to see one actually Very Happy
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:16 am

Narrawa,

Pictures man, pictures and a contact #/website.

Just about to pick a new pick so gimme some pics Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:17 am

Try this link, http://www.nuggetsfromdownunder.com.au/main.asp?Category=45

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:22 am

www.nuggetsfromdownunder.com.au
I have no pics mate, but hes a prospector and a good friend, to give him a plug is not really needed. Rainbo and i have been using his picks for the last two years, and will be getting a spare on the off chance we lose one.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:10 am

I dont own a malleyboy one but have seen them, they are a light wieght type but dont be fooled they are made very well and are strong.
I use a mid size walco http://www.bendigogold.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=pickmedium
and carry the larger version (not avaliable now i believe ) in the van/car.
I have found the mid size one to be a good general purpose pick easy to use and light and perfect for riding around on the postie
I have had it for 3 years now and only sharpen it once, mind you id be classed as a casual user (of the pick that is).
The CC im not impressed with after seeing MTs one it may have been a one off bad build but i can not say, and at $200 sheeez way over priced.

Narrawa think Malleyboy is pretty flat out at the moment the last thing he needs is more work,pretty sure if he lives thur the harvest the last thing on his mind will be making picks Wink .
Ease up on the plugging bloke you wont get a discount you know Wink Razz Smile
Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:46 am

freshwater wrote:
Regards
John
Iv already had my discounts John. Razz The guy took me under his wing early in the piece and got me off to a good start in prospecting, and i dont forget services rendered. Wink
But your right, he doesn't really need a plug, i just did that because i know it'll give him a chuckle. Laughing

Last edited by Narrawa on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot to add emoticons..:lol:)
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 am

Narrawa, your 'plug' would be a fantastic ad in a magazine! Actually i often read your posts to my housemate because they are so darn funny. We reckon if you take all your posts out of this forum and whack them in a book, you'd be pretty rich lol. Great writing What a Face

cheers
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:02 pm

TheH0ward, thx mate.

Given the good friends iv made over the years, many of who are prospectors, id say im rich enough. Wink

Having a warped sense of humor sure does help. lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Narrawa wrote:
freshwater wrote:
Regards
John
Iv already had my discounts John. The guy took me under his wing early in the piece and got me off to a good start in prospecting, and i dont forget services rendered.
But your right, he doesn't really need a plug, i just did that because i know it'll give him a chuckle. Laughing

Gee ease up bloke Smile , what no humour anymore tongue tongue Smile (note smiley,wink and also razz, you know what you put in when your having a joke .............remember).

Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Fixed. lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:24 pm

LOL no wrys

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:13 am

Narrawa wrote:www.nuggetsfromdownunder.com.au
I have no pics mate, but hes a prospector and a good friend, to give him a plug is not really needed. Rainbo and i have been using his picks for the last two years, and will be getting a spare on the off chance we lose one.

Thanks for the link mate (and you too Davsgold)

Just a thought based on your words in red above Narra.

Being as I'm old and senile (my wife's words, not mine Razz ) I have a habit of wondering off after digging without my pick.
Being a genius as I am, before I ever set foot on the goldfields, I turned my pick handles into barbers' poles.
I ran a layer of insulation tape at 45 degrees down the length of the handles and then sprayed them with bright yellow
enamel paint. This has paid for itself on about 20 occasions I reckon.
I also run a hacksaw cut about a millimetre deep every 2" down the handle to the blade. This helps in establishing the depth of a hole

Hope this helps to save at least one pick

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:49 am

Good tip Rob thanks!
My detector sports a bright pink control box cover so I can find it again but I never thought about my pick handles.

I've lost one...that CC pick I had bounced out of the back of my ute between Wollongong and Bathurst and some sneaky thief most likely made off with it in his car grill Neutral

Last edited by madtuna on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:43 am

Morning Rob, yeah i know what its like to leave my pick behind after a big dig. Walking back to the camp for a decent drink then realizing you have left your pick at the last dig, then trying to find that spot again is a real shat!

I know Mick uses a fiberglass fluro handle on his own pick but not sure if these are the ones he's making and selling, they'd be worth a pretty penny if they were.
I have got 1 inch increments on my pick handle done with a soldering iron so that no splinters or sharp bits attack my hands as i dig or carry it. Your idea of the candy wrap sounds like a good idea so will do the same as you on our picks, top thinking.
I may even get some fluro tape just for the end of the handle as im a big fan of night time detecting, and have left my pick behind on night time digs when the call comes over the radio that its time for a drink. Laughing Those words are much like the dinner bell ringing, and once heard all rational thinking is gone. Shocked
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

cc pick or walco Empty I Chose ccpick

Post  Firefly Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:07 pm

I have recently bought the ccpick 'Discoverer' after comparing them to Walco.

It has certainly made recovering gold easier and quicker.

The ccpick is well constructed, has a hard wood handle and is surprisingly light for its size. I expect it will last many years.
I like the 'Scrape' end as it is broad and has side wings. Scraping is now very easy and efficient.

The new walco I was comparing it to was of a similar size but had an arched blade and was only $10 cheaper. The arch seemed odd and in my opinion would make it difficult to dig a deep hole.

My two bobs worth. Smile

Firefly.

Firefly
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

cc pick or walco Empty Malleeboy Picks

Post  Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 pm

I've started manufacturing these picks again, with permission from Malleeboy.

I have called them "Gold Digger Picks" but they are the exact same design and using the Malleeboy templates.

I have them listed in the For Sale section.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t23496-gold-digger-prospecting-equipment

cc pick or walco Gold_d12

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Rtanweb wrote:Walco is better value imho, and are lighter for the size. I use them (got a small one and the larger one, sizes 1 and 3 i think.)

CC picks look like they will be better at breaking up conlgomerates and other really hard ground.

Hi Rtanweb
I just purchased a CC pick the largest size.There is a big problem in that there is flex in the hardened steel which is curved too much and it doesn't penetrate the hard ground but bends instead.On the other hand though the steel is extremely hard and hardly wears so durability is great.The shovel end works really well as its quite wide.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down