Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

minelab 4500 battery

2 posters

Go down

minelab 4500 battery Empty minelab 4500 battery

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:32 am

Hi All,
Does anybody know how long the battery for the minelab gps 4500 will last for before it needs replacing? Does it only take a certain amount of charges before it then looses its charge? Can they be repacked the same was a battery drill battery pack is repacked or does one buy a new one when the battery longer holds charge for more than couple hrs. When new the battery would last all day and then I would charge overnite ready for next day. I have only ever used 12v car battery to charge it. Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers and happy new year to you all.
Wal.

Back to top Go down

minelab 4500 battery Empty Re: minelab 4500 battery

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:57 am

hi
mate i dropped my 4000 battery from a great height and stuffed it. i sent it back to minelab for repair , they replaced the printed circuit board and checked out the batteries and said they were ok. including postage it cost me 104 bucks.
so one option is send it back to minelab,they know what they are doing and they don`t gouge you for the dollars
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:33 am

I heard they last about 500 recharges give or take - always store them fully charged.

Back to top Go down

minelab 4500 battery Empty minelab 4500 battery

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:50 am

phoenix wrote:hi
mate i dropped my 4000 battery from a great height and stuffed it. i sent it back to minelab for repair , they replaced the printed circuit board and checked out the batteries and said they were ok. including postage it cost me 104 bucks.
so one option is send it back to minelab,they know what they are doing and they don`t gouge you for the dollars
dave

Thanks phoenix,
Looks like will send back to minelab, My gear is still under warranty but didnt know if the battery may be covered. They would be the guys to repair.
To be honest did not even think of sending to minelab.
Cheers Wal

Back to top Go down

minelab 4500 battery Empty Re minelab 4500 battery

Post  emas88 Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Wal,The minelab 4500 litheum battery has a warranty period of 12 months. I know this as my 4500 battery died at 13 months just outside this period. I had to buy a new battery. Cheers Peter

emas88
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:49 pm

emas88 wrote:Hi Wal,The minelab 4500 litheum battery has a warranty period of 12 months. I know this as my 4500 battery died at 13 months just outside this period. I had to buy a new battery. Cheers Peter

G'day Peter,

Did you contact Minelab...

Even if it failed outside the warranty period it should have been replaced/repaired as its reasonable to expect that it should have lasted longer...

The ACCC would back you up me thinks... Wink

ACCC Warranty

How long do consumers’ statutory rights apply?

Statutory rights are not limited to a set time
period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time
that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and
quality of the item.
This means a consumer may be entitled to a
remedy under their statutory rights after any
manufacturer’s voluntary or extended warranty has
expired.
For example, it is reasonable to expect that an
expensive television should not develop a serious
fault after 13 months of normal use. In this case,
the consumer could argue the item was not of
merchantable quality and ask for it to be repaired,
even if the manufacturer’s voluntary warranty had
expired.

Last edited by ARARAT on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:01 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added link)

Back to top Go down

minelab 4500 battery Empty Re minelab 4500 battery

Post  emas88 Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Ararat ,Yes I think you are right a battery should be expected to last a reasonable time,however I was in W.A. detecting and I didn't want to be sitting around for days or more trying
to get some sort of outcome so I decided to bite the bullet and just buy a new battery so that I could continue with my hobby of gold prospecting.
Happy New Year to all and may all your days be golden . Cheers Peter

emas88
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:10 pm

No worries Peter,

All the best
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:30 pm

I had a 4500 battery die on me. It was acting strange so I rang ML.
It was way over warrenty time so they said it was probably time it died anyway.
After describing the problem they said I could send it back if I wanted and they would have a look.
I then rang Reeds as I had heard they could repack them and was talked into buying another. So I did.

Then I thought later that I might as well send it back to ML anyway and lo and behold they sent
back a replacement. We had a second newer 4500 and they replaced it under the warrenty for that one.
Now we have a spare.

Glad they didnt change the battery on the 5000.

Its just another example of ML's great service.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down