Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danger from the Sun

+12
forester01
TheH0ward
HueyDuck
kon61
vicgoldhunter1
hotrockgarry
Scrubhen
shelby23
hoolahoopa
harryopal
Birdman
everhopeful
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Danger from the Sun - Page 2 Empty Re: Danger from the Sun

Post  everhopeful Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:09 am

This may help if you have an asthma attack or you suffer from asthma..If you are able try swimming. If you are having an attack try and get to a public pool and just swim a few laps, it will be difficult at first,but keep at it, because apparently it opens up the chest making it easier for the lungs to take in more air. When I was young I played football every Saturday and you could back it in that I would have asthma on Sunday. My parents would drive me to the City Baths in Melbourne every Sunday and after about 30 minutes I found I could breath normal again. So swimming worked for me, but it may not for everyone..it just may help.
everhopeful

P.S I haven't had an attack for 49 years, so I believe swimming was the cure.

everhopeful
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Danger from the Sun - Page 2 Empty The Real Danger from the Sun

Post  forester01 Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:56 pm

G'day gents,

like a number of you, I'm in my late sixties and have - at least up to fifteen years ago when I began having bits and pieces cut out of my head and arms due to basal cell carcinomas and solar keratosis - enjoyed good health. With this good health (attributable at least in part to a life spent in the Army and an enforced minimal standard of physical fitness, and my own dislike of the smoking habit) I'd always believed that the I'd always be right into my old age. Well, it doesn't work that way. And it hasn't. I now have ears pointed at the top like some stand in for Doctor Spock and my nose doesn't look all that bloody good either. So if I can offer some advice to the younger members of our Group who love to take their shirts off and bask in the sun - or worse, permit their kids to 'sun worship', be aware that some bloody awful results lie just around the corner for the unwary.

In the meantime I'm flat out trying to get my sons to throw away their bloody stupid American style baseball caps and wear an Australian Akubra or something similar with a wide brim.

Regards

Forester01
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Danger from the Sun - Page 2 Empty Skin Cancer

Post  strijk Wed May 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Stopsy
What you are saying is absolutely spot on.
Get yourself checked at leat once a year and if you see a tiny little spot that has appeared or changed, don't stuff around , get it checked. I have a mate from Halls Creek that had a small spot, now he has only a couple of months, these spots can be serious!
Goldstrijk

strijk
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Back to top Go down

Danger from the Sun - Page 2 Empty Danger from the sun

Post  nuggetnt Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Gday all.my firis post.As a survivor/remission of level 4 melanoma[Google medical states no survivors of level4 after 6yrs.] Had op under local anisetic 1999,Three ops in six wks.TOP DOCTOR in Newman WA.Franz Itterman.Three yrs ago face op in Gove,non melanoma.Ordinary sun spots Iscrape off or cut out with my pocket knife.Always worked o/doors in the tropics,and in my younger days no slip slop but you would get the slap and a boot if you did,nt keep going in the heat.For myself,its a part of life[where ive been and done]Something that may intrest posters Health Sciences Institute P O Box230 Braeside Vic 3195.Also Google Cansema.Regards Nev.

nuggetnt

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:44 pm

For the guys that have problems with cane toads. I was told that if you put neat Dettol into a spray container and hit a cane toad, it would hop off into bush and die. Is that correct ? I know a long handle shovel works wonders !
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Minermike wrote:For the guys that have problems with cane toads. I was told that if you put neat Dettol into a spray container and hit a cane toad, it would hop off into bush and die. Is that correct ? I know a long handle shovel works wonders !

yep thats all we do it works wonders

cheers...reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:02 pm

I hope to have 4 weeks r&r in NW Q'land soon, past Winton. Remote areas...
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum