Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Investing in Gold

+5
archcat74
Poetess
sandy2010
Goldbait
maxxAu
9 posters

Go down

Investing in Gold Empty Investing in Gold

Post  maxxAu Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi all. Talking about investing in gold here. Does anybody here do it? Or know somebody that does? If so, how do you do it?
You don't need to tell us about the 20kg bullion bars under your bed. I love you
I just want to know the protocol. I think that the way the world is going ATM, it mightn't be a bad investment option. bom

maxxAu
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

Investing in Gold Empty Re: Investing in Gold

Post  Goldbait Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:02 pm

i've been buying a small amount off ebay. i think i'm upto about 8g for a total cost of around $400.

i try to buy my gold at <= $50 / gram.

any more than that and i can't see myself making any great benefits. postage has a small factor also. if your going to buy small amounts, try and purchase a couple of pieces off the same seller to help save with postage fees not individually adding up.

my best purchae was 4.21g at $170 posted... kicking myself now i didn't buy the other gold this seller was offering at the time as no one else bid on it.

the other thing i try and do is purchase nuggets with a distinctive shape. a 1.46g piece in the shape of Australia went for almost $175 about a month ago. way above the listed price for gold. but it's unique. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170556603437&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

another piece i just purchased is what i think in the shape of a rabbit. i got it for a decent price too. here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250723764904&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:33 pm

ther's a bloke i know who buys gold at what you wont to sell it at. he's brought a stack off gold and very happy to keep buying it. i'm thinking off selling my gold to him when i'm going to sell. i think it's a good thing.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 am

Buy bullion from the Perth Mint or ABC Bullion, Don't go through a stock broker they like a piece of the action.
When you buy bullion you know exactly what your gold is worth and therefore it is easier to know when to sell and when to buy.
Buying nuggets is risky because you never realy know how much you will get for them no matter what the market price is.
Just give the mint or ABC Bullion a call and they will tell you how to go about buying from them. You can either have the gold sent to you or you can get a certificate stating how much you have purchased, it's as good as gold and much safer than having the gold sent to you.Don't let it get stolen. When I bought mine I had the gold sent to me after the market crashed just to see what it looked like. Sat on it for a couple of years and sold at 250% above what I payed for it when the price shot through the roof again. That was way above what I would have earned on the cash if it was in the bank for the same period of time.

You will have to learn the things that lift the price as well as what kills it to be able to buy and sell and turn a good profit. At the moment the price has stabilised for a few days but is likely to generally keep going up, but it is not always easy to tell which is what happened to me. I thought the market was on the move showing a steady and fast rise over a couple of weeks. Unfortunately for me the price died three bloody days later after I purchased and kept going down further before stabilising again where it sat for the next two years.

If you buy small then you can maybe sit on it untill the price has gone up alot before selling but if you buy big then you need to keep a constant watch on the market so that you can buy sell in an instant when the price is right so, if you buy a mills worth at 1400 bucks an oz and then in the next couple of mins it goes up by 50 bucks an oz well thats 35 grand you just made in 2 minutes. Like I said, you have to be able to buy and sell in an instant if you buy big otherwise you can loose a hell of a lot in a no time flat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:18 am

hi
back in the 80's i bought a 2½ oz ingot from a mob in george st sydney,i think they were called Harringtons.i just rocked in with the cash and basiclly just bought it over the counter. i`m guessing there would still be mobs like that around. i had a look at "completed listings" on ebay for ingots in australia and recently 1oz ingots have been selling for around the $1400 mark
and 2 x 5oz ingots sold for $7100 each
dave

Back to top Go down

Investing in Gold Empty investing in gold

Post  sandy2010 Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Keep a watch on silver.....I've been following it for 30 years !
As already mentioned go to the PERTH MINT website (WA GOVT backed).

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Investing in Gold Empty Yes I invest in Gold

Post  Poetess Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:02 am

Yes I invest in Gold ! Very Happy
The global financial crisis is a reality & since paper money is nolonger backed by Gold, I think experts are right on point when they foresee a hyperinflation coming.

The way that I invest in Gold is that I have set up a monthly purchase plan via the Gold company I work with.
They deliver 1 grams of Gold as the only company in the world (kinebars of 1 gram). For as low as 50 € a month anyone can purchase.
Furthermore the Gold is refined without toxins, which I think is wonderful, me being pro the go-green-movement.

I will be more than happy to tell you more if you are interested. sunny
Poetess
Poetess
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-27

http://Karatbars.com/?s=poetess

Back to top Go down

Post  archcat74 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I've just started it too. I signed up with Perth Mint and bought a 10gr Bar not long ago. I am going to keep buying them for my son who is a baby as his "life savings" instead of paying tax on interest earned in a bank.
I figure it will only ever go up - even if it is slightly lower today than when I bought it!

archcat74
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Investing in Gold Empty Investing in Gold

Post  AnnieL Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:50 pm

I too bought some gold through the Perth Mint. You have to open an account, with 100 identification points, pay freight and insurance. Perth Mint guarantee 99.9% pure but they often charge a bit above the spot price.

I subscribe to an investor newsletter and the guys there suggest you buy physical gold (rather than an exchange traded fund). Most capital cities have companies that sell gold and some of it is Swiss gold. If what they say comes to pass, gold will continue to rise - especially with an unstable share market. Just google for gold price graphs over ten years and see the increase. I see gold as a bit of insurance. The investor mob suggest you buy smaller amounts so if you want to off-load some you don't have to sell a lot at once especially where there is a price fluctuation.

They do sell some gold on silveerstackers.com. I'm not sure of buying off ebay but check this out - http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Fake-gold-or-real-A-few-hints-and-tests?ugid=10000000002171113

Annie

AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Have any of the genuine posters on this thread that did buy Gold several years ago been happy with their investment considering how gold prices have temporarily come back?...read been rigged to come back in price artificially....do you consider it such a long term investment that you don't worry about current troughs....just wondering the thoughts of those who had a regular buying plan....buy now I guess it averages the total price paid more reasonably?...Hoo Roo.
$1306 as at 8/11/2013...approx. $42 gram.....so what prices did you pay?....appro

Back to top Go down

Investing in Gold Empty Physical Gold or Paper Gold

Post  saqib261 Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 am

You did not mention that you are interested in Physical Gold buying or Paper Gold buying. If you reply I may be able to suggest properly

saqib261
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-01-29

http://www.stocks-markets.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:26 am

Slightly off topic but it still may be relevant as to ascertain the credibility of your answer saqib261, although there may be a justified reason for this, just curious as to why is your location is marked down as New Zealand and yet your actual location is Pakistan?
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Investing in Gold Empty You may see my location changed next time

Post  saqib261 Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15 pm

I wonder why u asked so. Anyhow the answer is that I have to travel a lot so You may see my at different locations Laughing

saqib261
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-01-29

http://www.stocks-markets.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:19 pm

The answer Sir, is that many involved with "gold" trading are 'tricky dickies'...many peas and thimbles, and little or no physical gold "setting" prices in London....therefor I applaud Costas Dee as a Moderator attempts to establish bona fides of someone about to potentially feather their own vested interests with very little Forum credibility in having only a couple of posts to their credit....well done Costas, we salute you.......get on top of it at the start and we potentially don't have pages of angst as folk attempt to justify their positions... cheers ..Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:21 pm

When the number of posts are very low or the registration date very recent People become or should become aware that trust has not been earned.    pirat  No  pirat
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  saqib261 Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:15 pm

I can understand
thanks Smile 

saqib261